NCL policy on small appliances with heating elements?

mikeythemars

I've checked the NCL brochure and website upside down and sideways, but can't find anything about whether they do or don't allow passengers to pack curling irons, hair flatteners, blowdryers, travel irons or steamers etc. (small personal appliances that have a heating element).

Further confusing things, I read on another cruise board a story from someone who claims that someone in her party had baggage held when they boarded an NCL ship, because the screeners thought they saw some sort of "banned" item in her bag. It turned out to be (her words) a "hair iron" (maybe a hair flattener?), that they eventually allowed her to keep.

Any clarification would be appreciated.;)

no travel irons allowed

Curling irons, etc. are OK. They do not want you to have immersion heaters for drinks, etc. Also, no candles, etc.

Thanks for the responses; sounds like they don't want anything with an "exposed" high temperature surface. If that's the case, I wonder if a small travel clothes steamer (similar to the below) is O.K.?

F-Garment-Steamer.gif

I've booked my first NCL balcony cabin and was thinking of bringing a small hibachi style BBQ to use at happy hour to do cocktail weenies just right.

Would charcoal or propane be more appropriate? :rolleyes:

hibachi.jpg

Now that's funny!:D

Thanks - ours isn't a 100% substitute for an iron, but it gets out most wrinkles.

My wife just read this thread and said that my joke may be misinterpreted as a "jab"

No, it was just meant to be fun... so I apologise if you were slighted in any way....

So, propane or charcoal? :D

It's pretty old news.

Not to start a flame war (and I've heard it all a hundred times), but I too have yet to see anywhere that NCL specifically prohibits small travel irons. (No, I don't bring one; yes, we have a steamer and Downy spray.)

It's just that most people automatically point to the paragraphs about not being allowed to bring "dangerous" items onboard. Okay, fair enough, but I think curling irons can be dangerous and I sure as heck think cigarettes can be dangerous, and any number of other items when not handled properly can be a fire hazard. I'd simply like to see it spelled out specifically. You might say, "Well, you shouldn't need to be told that travel irons can be a fire hazard." Fine, but then someone else shouldn't need to be told that cigarettes can be a fire hazard. It's just a real double standard that seems to apply.

beachchick

I'd simply like to see it spelled out specifically.

That is one of NCL's biggest problems. They don't seem to ever specifically spell things out. And when they attempt to, they don't seem to follow what they spelled out (like jeans in dining room, etc). NCL pretty much makes up the rules as they go along. And if you talk to multiple people at NCL, they all seem to have a different answer or different interpretation of the rules. They really all need to get on the same page.

Your other points are very valid and I mostly agree. My "old news" comment was regarding the consensus here on CC that travel irons are not allowed onboard (as well as other cruise lines being more clear when it comes to that rule).

It's just that most people automatically point to the paragraphs about not being allowed to bring "dangerous" items onboard.

Bingo, and that's why I started this thread. I saw that language on the NCL website FAQ and immediately thought "how lazy of NCL - they could have a list just like those the TSA posts at airports (listing specific banned items) but noooooooooooooo.....that would be involve some thinking and effort." :rolleyes:

That is one of NCL's biggest problems. They don't seem to ever specifically spell things out. And when they attempt to, they don't seem to follow what they spelled out (like jeans in dining room, etc). NCL pretty much makes up the rules as they go along. And if you talk to multiple people at NCL, they all seem to have a different answer or different interpretation of the rules. They really all need to get on the same page.

Your other points are very valid and I mostly agree. My "old news" comment was regarding the consensus here on CC that travel irons are not allowed onboard (as well as other cruise lines being more clear when it comes to that rule).

" consensus here on CC that travel irons are not allowed on board "

:confused: :confused:

Archived