talkeetna aero

shereemcg

just booked the $195 tour for my hsuband and son. We're using the toursaver coupon. Geri suggested when the day we are heading to denali from anchorage to do the flight out of talkeetna, then head to denali. this way if there's too many clouds we'd have a 2nd chance the day we're heading back.

We were going to upgrade and do the summit tour but she mentioned that they use oxygen masks and our 10 y.o. may have an issue with that. He does get seasick on small boats.

So they're just sticking with the other one.

Any thoughts? if it's cloudy, they may still go up since they may still be able to see the mountain.

I'm a little freaked since it's my hsuband and child going, I assume they have a good safety record. It's not a helicopter, but a 9 passenger twin engine. Anyone know of any concerns?

thanks

sheree

I took the summit flight last month. It was a great trip. I don't know of any safety concerns. However, because it is a small plane, the ascent/descent portion of the flight (I'd say the first and last ten minutes) can be a bit jumpy at times. Our pilot did his best to keep things smooth though. For example, my wife often gets a little bit woozy on a commercial flight when it hits some turbulence, and she wasn't bothered too much by the ocassional turbulence on the summit flight. If I recally correctly, the company also uses their planes to makes regular passenger flights. In fact, our pilot worked in Alaska over the summer and flew for an airline the rest of the year.

As for the oxygen masks on the summit flight, it sounds more intimidating than it really is. Much of the flight they aren't required, but once the plane reaches a certain height, you need to plug in the mask because the cabin isn't pressurized. Breathing is very easy and just like normal breathing (nothing like using a regulator for scuba diving). We spent so much time glued to the windows and taking pictures that we totally forgot we were wearing a small mask!

I have gone with Talkeetna Aero many times. :) An excellent company- I am spoiled- I almost always try and go with Eric- the owner. Anyway- I would STRONGLY recommend you contact your son's MD and take their recommendations for motion sickness precautions. If he is prone I WOULD NOT fly without it. A hour++ flight is ENDLESS if you have a sick passenger with no way out. Avoid this entirely with some type of prevention. You are in a plane- NO GUARANTEEs of how the flight will go when nothing is under you. :) For me the summit flights far surpass the others unless you are adding a glacier landing- then the ski plane experience is great too.

BQ

Are the summit flight planes also larger,8-10 psgr, rather than 4-6 seater with skis for glacier landing? Do we need to prebook month out for tour saver use with Talkeetna Aero, and what about bad weather? If summit not available, do they cancel or let you try another day? We can stop on the way to denali or on the way back, so we have two shots at a clear day on Fri or Sunday.

Last Aug, we scheduled the summitt flight with Talkeenta Aero using the toursaver coupon and paying the upgrade costs. Since we were going onto Denali after the flight, we also had the option of taking the flight from their office in Denali if we had to cancel the Talkeetna flight. We were also returning to Talkeetna from Denali so we had a 3rd opportunity to make the summitt flight. What actually happened was this. Major road construction in Talkeetna forced us to cancel the flight in Talkeetna and reschedule for that afternoon in Denali. When we arrived at the airport in Denali, the cloudy weather made the summitt flight impossible, so we took the Summitt Circle flight which was terrific. We only paid for the Summitt Circle flight though not the 'over-the-top' summitt flight. So the flexibilty offered us by Talkeetna Aero made it possible to do a terrific flight even though we encountered cloudy weather and major delay road construction.

Larry

that's what they told us as well. if on the day to denali it doesn't work, we can schedule for later that day form denali or the day we head back to anchorage. I like the flexibility.

My son has taken dramamine in the past, i'll probably do that prior to the flight. he doesn't get ill on cruise ships, just small boats! he doesn't get sick in cars or planes, But we wont be taking the chance on this! he's really looking forward to it.

sheree

Larry,

It sounds like that worked out ok. They told me that the non summit flight was very nice and many like it better. The problem we have with the Talkeetna Taxi flts is that it is only good at 6 or 7pm which will make it hard for us to get to denali before late or back into anc before late late.

Sheree,

Might want to consider the new dramamine 2 or bomine, less side affects I think. My wife likes them better. I'm sure if he is excited about going, he will be fine if he takes something.

I believe the Talkeetna Aero coupons are good for any flight. We were scheduled originally for a noon flight and actually took a 4pm flight. I don't know about the Talkeetna Taxi flights, but it is not the same company as

Talkeetna Aero.

Larry

Yes it is a different bigger plane for the summit flights- but all window seats- middle aisle. As mentioned- rescheduling is sometimes necessary. The flights cost more out of Denali Park- but the open option may be worth it if you want these flights? Talkeetna Aero- has less restrictive coupons- but this is a very popular tour so I would definately reserve ahead for your preferred time and date.

We did Talkeetna Aero Summit flight on 7/13 in a Piper Navajo Twin 8 passenger aircraft with toursaver & upgrade. We had only 5 people plus the pilot. Got to fly in the co-pilot seat...fantastic! I too was surprised that this plane was not pressurized. We did use oxygen masks above 12,000ft - absolutely no problems. What a fantastic view of Mt. McKinley and other mountains (Hunter, etc.) in that range. Had some low clouds and only a few bumps on the windward side of the summit at 21,000ft - visability was super. We got great pix. We were really close to all areas of Mt McKinley - at times it seemed to close but, distance is deceptive in that element. We did tight turns around the Summit - sort of gives you a feeling of what it would be like to be standing on the summit and looking down - wow.. breathtaking. We were also close enough to see climbers at the 14,000 & 17,000 ft level plus some climbers in tents hanging from a rocky ascent camp. We were told they had been waiting there almost 2 weeks. What a fantastic flight - this was one of our top favorite tours. IMO - Aero did an outstanding job including safety. Highly recommended this tour. BTW - that same day we also did the Takeetna Air Taxi Flightseeing with the Glacier landing. We thought we might be disappointed since we had just done the Summit Flight - boy were we wrong. This was an absolutely different type of tour that allowed us to see a lot more of the Mt McKinley area, the 7,000 ft climber staging base camp, land on a glacier (& more important take-off), see a number of other glaciers and spot some wildlife. We are really happy we did both tour - they are quite different. Word of caution - if you are going to do a Summer Glacier landing ask for the condition of the snow at the landing site -and you might want to select a tour company that flys the well known Beaver Aircraft...just my opinion for safety. As it turns out Talkeekna was one of the more memorable stops during our 3 week Alaska trip. If you have questions - I'd be glad to help. SeaFish

Seafish

Alright! Just what I was looking for, still trying to make the decision on which of the two to take, especially if weather permits us to see denali. So for overall memories and experience and pictures you were able to capture, which one edges out the other? Come on now, I need opinions, for quick decision today or tomorrow. There will be no climbers or base camps when we go in late August. Will also be on shuttle to Wonder Lake at denali. Thanks for help.

JohnQ - IMO - I'd do the Summit flight out of Talkeena. Both flights were great but, the summit flight definitely has the edge for photos, etc. If weather is an issue at Talkeetna - they will arrange an option to go out of Denali another time/day at the same price. Good idea - same price. As for the Denali Park shuttle - I'd recommend doing an early morning 8 hr Eliseson Tour. We went on the first bus at 530A...need to be there about 15 mins prior to departure. Take a snack/boxed lunch, beverages - nothing available in the park. We saw beautiful scenery but, no wildlife spotted during the first 2 hours. However - after that we saw "lots" of grizzly bears with cubs, wolves with pups, moose, caribou, sheep, eagles and numerous small animals & birds. However - with the exception of this bus tour we saw no other wildlife while driving 5 days from Anchorage to Fairbanks with stops, and side trips to Hatcher Pass, Peterson Road and fishing stops the entire 950 mile trip. Not quite true - we did encounter a black bear while parking at the Grande Denali Lodge and saw moose on a flightseeing tour. The bus trip is long but, there are a number of rest stops. We were advised to sit on the left side of the bus on the way out but, it really didn't matter since wildlife was spotted equally on both sides of the bus. Hope this info helps. SeaFish

Seafish

Thanks, I'll talk to my wife and see if she wants to do oxy masks or the other. That was my first thought to go on but girl at Talkeetna Aero seemed to think other was better.

As for denali, we did two days on shuttle last day of May, 1 st of June in 2002. We saw most of our wildlife before Toklat River including grizzley 15' from bus for 15 min. Saw one wolf, lots of caribou, sheep. How close were the animals you saw, especially the bear? I'm afraid we got real lucky on our last trip and may be dissappointed if all we see are dots in the distance or moose spots as a famous poster calls them!! We saw very few moose, one or two cows with calves, and only one young male at Eagle River. Same as you, we saw nothing else in week on land except three bears on beach in distance on Capt Larry's tour, and sheep or goats from Kenai tour. Thanks for info.

Archived