re: small inflatable pools for infants...

valentina1209

I followed one suggestion I've seen here regarding for traveling with infants, and just bought a small inflatable pool to put in the shade next to us when we are at the pool (since the baby can't go in the water with swim diapers).

My question is: how do you fill the pool??? It doesn't seem right to scoop water out of the main pool. Is a hose available, or will the crew give us a few pitchers of water????

Home Lines Atlantic 7/88; Cunard Countess 6/89; Costa Rivera 6/90; Explorer of the Seas 8/02; Adventure of the Sea 8/03

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=da70d6&cdt=2004;6;26;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500 till the Carnival Miracle

I was wondering the same thing. i also bought a small pool to use for my 16 mo old. i assuming though you could fill it w/the water that comes out of those shower stalls they have next to the pool (the ones people use to "rinse" off before or after the pool).

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00bfff&cdt=2004;7;25;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

NCL Dawn 1st time!

Curious if anyone has tried this on their balcony and have any tips on how to fill it without making 457 trips with a water glass!

<pre>

\\\\|////

\\ - - //

( @ @ )

oOOo-(_)-oOOo

M00k3y </pre>

The one I bought is only 2 feet wide, so it should fit on the balcony as well as near our deck chair (as long as we set ourselves down a bit back from the pool).

I posted this question on another site, and someone there said that the deck crew will bring you a pitcher of water to fill the pool if you ask him.

Home Lines Atlantic 7/88; Cunard Countess 6/89; Costa Rivera 6/90; Explorer of the Seas 8/02; Adventure of the Sea 8/03

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=da70d6&cdt=2004;6;26;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500 till the Carnival Miracle

m00k3y, NCL had buckets of beer...it probably holds a 1/2 gallon. Better than a glass....or what about an empty trash can?

NCL Star 1/04

What's Next? Alaska 2005 - Ask me about an official CC group!

• 5 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by bplazo:

I think that cruise ships have a space issue on deck without everyone with children bringing a pool.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

OMG, we can't win for losing! D*mned if we do, D*mned if we don't.

Karen

Fantasy 3/98

Enchantment of the Seas 6/00

Explorer of the Seas 9/01

Victory 5/02

Imagination 7/02

Paradise 5/03

Fascination 5/28/04

Karen,

I agree.

We are looking at using one on our balcony. So that we can empty it over the edge and splash people on lower decks while they are sleeping.

yes that is a joke ;-) but is the reason we decided against the idea icon_smile.gif

<pre>

\\\\|////

\\ - - //

( @ @ )

oOOo-(_)-oOOo

M00k3y </pre>

• 2 weeks later...
Bring the pool - it is excellent for beaches. It even kept the eight and ten-year-old kids busy for a while.

i am going to bring mine. it is so small and even if i only use it as a showering/bath option in the room, it will be worth it. it barely holds any water, but will at least be a way for my son to stay cool. i will dump it in one of those shower drains that you can rinse off of after getting out of the pool. i think it holds like maybe 8 - 10 cups at most

I don't like the kiddie-pool idea at all -- seems rude -- like the kind of thing that makes people think cruises should be kid-free zones. Think of the space it's going to take up in the already-small pool area. I think you'll get lots of dirty looks and comments from the other passengers. Then there's the practicality issue: how to fill it, what to do with the water when you're done. Are you sure that the cruise lines even allow this?

On the beach, however, a kiddie pool does make sense. You won't be inconveniencing others, and it'll be nice for the child. If you're going to do this on the beach, you might want to go alllll the way down to the less crowded portion; otherwise you may not have space for the little pool -- and you may have more company than you bargained for in that pool.

I've only cruised on Disney, but they have a small pool area for kids in swim diapers. I know that some other cruise lines have splash-areas for toddlers.

I don't like the kiddie-pool idea at all -- seems rude -- like the kind of thing that makes people think cruises should be kid-free zones. Think of the space it's going to take up in the already-small pool area. I think you'll get lots of dirty looks and comments from the other passengers. Then there's the practicality issue: how to fill it, what to do with the water when you're done. Are you sure that the cruise lines even allow this?

On the beach, however, a kiddie pool does make sense. You won't be inconveniencing others, and it'll be nice for the child. If you're going to do this on the beach, you might want to go alllll the way down to the less crowded portion; otherwise you may not have space for the little pool -- and you may have more company than you bargained for in that pool.

I've only cruised on Disney, but they have a small pool area for kids in swim diapers. I know that some other cruise lines have splash-areas for toddlers.

the pool i have is so small, it could literally fit on a chair. i will not get into the whole children=no cruising topic b/c it is so ridiculous, but i do feel there should be some sort of small pool area for children in swim diapers. a spot for only them to go into, small wading pool area. there is def enough demand for it.

Kevinsmom-- Yes, there IS enough demand for a swim-diaper area, and that's why MANY ships have either a toddlers' pool or a splash area. I'd suggest that you choose a ship that has this instead of bringing along a pool of your own.

Kevinsmom-- Yes, there IS enough demand for a swim-diaper area, and that's why MANY ships have either a toddlers' pool or a splash area. I'd suggest that you choose a ship that has this instead of bringing along a pool of your own.

MrsPete, that's the problem-no ships allow diapers in ANY pools, including the children's wading pool. Like I said above, there is NO WAY to make everyone happy on this topic. Parents can't win in this situation, get nailed for putting them in the pool with diapers, nailed for bringing something private that they can get in.

Kfleming -- This is simply not true. We were on Disney last November (2003), and they have one small pool set aside for children with diapers; it's explained in the daily Navigator and they have huge signs setting this area aside for the non-potty-trained. Disney's the only one about which I have personal knowledge, but I have read that other ships have similar arrangements or splash areas. Don't take my word for it. Call Disney Cruise Lines at 1-800-449-3380 and ask them.

You can "make everyone happy" by choosing a ship that suits your family's needs.

Gosh at first I had a picture in my head of those 8 foot bright blue plastic pools they sell at Target!!And I was wondering how you'd get it on board.

I think your idea is great (especially after you said it's only 2 feet across) but have to agree that I think it would be more work board ship than it is worth. You are bound to have someone complain, or make upsetting comments.

You are bound to have someone complain, or make upsetting comments.

isn't that always the way! you can make some of the people happy some of the time, but not all of the people happy all of the time! ultimately we all do what WE think is best for our families!

Kfleming -- This is simply not true. We were on Disney last November (2003), and they have one small pool set aside for children with diapers; it's explained in the daily Navigator and they have huge signs setting this area aside for the non-potty-trained. Disney's the only one about which I have personal knowledge, but I have read that other ships have similar arrangements or splash areas. Don't take my word for it. Call Disney Cruise Lines at 1-800-449-3380 and ask them.

You can "make everyone happy" by choosing a ship that suits your family's needs.

I did pick a ship that fits my family's needs and it's not Disney....on second thought I choose not to get into this discussion once again. It is absolutely a no win topic.

Our kiddie pool was inflatable, and we only used it ashore. There is NO WAY we would have brought it out on board. It is about 36" diameter, and 5" high. When deflated, it's the size of a plastic inflatable raft (also a great thing to bring for beach days).

Archived