NavyChief-prediction for Noordam 2/17?

mommybunny21

This is going to be tricky with these low pressure systems. Here's the current map and as you can see that nasty low which is giving the northeast a great deal of trouble. You should catch a bit of a break if that patch of high pressure pushes down a bit as it hits the Atlantic seaboard. If that next Low comes along on the 17th, it may not be a pleasent ride. I'm hoping that the High will slow and win out as I have to travel to Dallas,Texas (heading down to Rev Neal's neighborhood) via Cleveland on the 18th.

curwx_600x405b.jpg

Hello-could I trouble you for your prediction re sea conditions for our sailing this saturday? I tried to find your post from a couple of weeks ago but I'm pathetic with the computer! Thanks so much

Noaa Wave watch 3 is a reliable and simple animation used for forecasting the high seas info. The forecast does change every 6 hours or so. We have been using an advanced version for years. Looks like your cruise should start out at below 9' seas and increase while enroute to Tortola. We will be on the Nor on 3-10-07. There are a number of other forecasting models avaiable for the high seas, but this is the most easiest to use unless you have a degree in meterolgy

http://iwave.rsmas.miami.edu/surf/nww3.html

Really I do not know the actual wave heigt.

However, the waves are breaking up equal to the Upper Promenade Deck which is the #6 passenger deck up.

Guessing a minimum 10 foot per deck height would give you a minimum of 60 feet PLUS what ever the normal height of the "calm water level" at dock side is up to that first lower passenger level.

Basically the waves are higher than I care to be in.:D :D

That's a really great graphic dforeigner; you can see how the Low Pressure system now pushing off the coast of Virginia impacts the ocean. At the very beginning (0500 Feb 14), notice how the wave hieght is low (indicated by blue) and as the Nor' Easter pushes off, it starts stirring things up; make note though, the waves get bigger the further out you go so the Noordam heading north or south would track more to the coast than the open water for the passengers comfort. I would say your going to run into wave hieghts of 4 to 8 feet and for a ship Noordam's size is nothing. Its about what we had on our trip down and back. To an old salt like me, its a day in the park where as my step-dad (the only one in our group who got a bit queezy), its no suprize he got out of the Navy to join the Air Force :D

Okay..am I wrong? It looks good for departure but a little crazy by the end of the 18th??

You are Correct, You have a good mid-atlantic storm which might be retrograding, Sunday into Monday morning might be a bit rough 15'-20' seas

depending on location. Maybe the Captain could get calmer water for your trip by slighly altering the course.

The good news is that you will be in 60+ SST(Sea Water Temps) around 15 hours after you leave NY Harbor. SST around Ambrose ligh is about 42 F.

At around 15 Hours out you should be around 200 miles off of Cape Hatteras,

NC, again depending on course and speed.

See latest Satelite sweep for SST's for your trip.

http://marine.rutgers.edu/cool/show/?file=../regions/eastcoast/sst_comp/noaa/2007/img/070215.046.comp.lnt.jpg

Weather for Tortola & St.Thomas look typical Carribean with scattered Showers and Highs in Low 80's

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/forecast/MapClick.php?site=sju&map.x=330&map.y=173

I hate to admit it but I'm not sure I can read those charts accurately. In the end I guess it doesn't matter much because I'll just ride the waves with the rest of you if that what it takes. I CAN'T WAIT FOR TOMORROW!

Bon Voyage to everyone. Happy and healthy sailing and enjoy the seas, whatever they may bring.

You are Correct, You have a good mid-atlantic storm which might be retrograding, Sunday into Monday morning might be a bit rough 15'-20' seas

depending on location. Maybe the Captain could get calmer water for your trip by slighly altering the course.

The good news is that you will be in 60+ SST(Sea Water Temps) around 15 hours after you leave NY Harbor. SST around Ambrose ligh is about 42 F.

At around 15 Hours out you should be around 200 miles off of Cape Hatteras,

NC, again depending on course and speed.

See latest Satelite sweep for SST's for your trip.

http://marine.rutgers.edu/cool/show/?file=../regions/eastcoast/sst_comp/noaa/2007/img/070215.046.comp.lnt.jpg

Weather for Tortola & St.Thomas look typical Carribean with scattered Showers and Highs in Low 80's

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/forecast/MapClick.php?site=sju&map.x=330&map.y=173

Thank you..I don't know why I'm so concerned about this-you'd think I'd never sailed before!!

Thank you..I don't know why I'm so concerned about this-you'd think I'd never sailed before!!

If you could please let us know your opinion on club HAL. We will be cruising with our 3 1/2 yr old son. (This is his 8th cruise but 1st on HAL). Checked with HAL and their are only 55 children on board for our 3-10-07 voyage.

TNX !!

Archived