Shoes Q: Shorter heel better at sea?

Wadadli1

Hi all.

We went on our first cruise on the Oceania Regatta over the Christmas/New Year holiday to the West Indies. On two occasions, I spec'd a high heel, 3 inches, for my evening shoe. I was informed that I was staggering down the hallway, and without the benefit of copious drink! I attributed it to having my sea legs (yay) and therefore compensating, but it wasn't lost on me that the ladies on the crew wore low-heeled shoes, or flats. And when I wore a lower heel, I didn't "stagger". So! I am thinking I should be in the market for stylish shoes that have a lower heel. Say, like this one:

http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/2868855/0~2376778~2372808~6007401?mediumthumbnail=Y&origin=category&searchtype=&pbo=6007401&P=3

Mind, we had a few days of rough seas, but the days I wore the higher heels weren't any of them. Does a bigger ship negate movement enough so it doesn't matter? We are on the Queen Mary for a short jaunt around Labor Day, so I'm just wondering. OTOH, a lower heel certainly is more comfortable in general. AND, I'm not averse to building a wardrobe (including shoes) of cruise clothes, since we were hooked from about 5 minutes after we got on the boat in Miami.;) Well, I was. My DH convinced me we should go, made all the arrangements, and I was just along for the ride, along with our 4 DS's. I can't tell you how much we laughed--we had a wonderful time.

Thanks.

I think those shoes are very pretty and appropriate. I try to take the stairs where ever I go on the ship and I'm always worried that the higher heels will catch in either my dress or the carpet - so I wear about that height - thanks for the link. Jan

Wadadli1:

Great question. I've wondered why there isn't more mention of practical heel height on this board. When I see some of the gorgeous shoes ladies take.......I wonder that they really can "navigate" a ship stylishly with them without looking inebriated.

The shoes you posted are "sensible" for a cruise without being

"dowdy" and, in fact, I think they're quite attractive.

I always pack one black pair similar to those you chose with a slingback AND have packed a higher heel as well. Even on a ship as large as Sapphire Princess and HAL Amsterdam I have discarded the higher heel OFTEN for the lower standby on even some very calm nights. I put the higher ones on about 15 min before dinner........if I cannot navigate the cabin and immediate hallway easily without "weaving" they stay on.......if not, the pretty standbys go right on. Next cruise, I've vowed not to even bother using valuable packing space for any shoe >1 1/2in. I am being mindful to always keep an "eye out" for some that are, like the ones you selected, not only good looking, but also "good for a cruise."

Those are nice looking shoes for such a low heel :) , I would definitely wear them! I wear heels about maybe 10 times per year, so I do have that look of wearing my moms shoes when I walk. I try to practise a bit before each wearing.

Of course, my husband does help me along when I wear senseless shoes ;)

You know, I completely forgot about the stairs. We only took the elevator 2 times, and that was because we were going from Deck 3 up to Deck 10.

I took a pair of "sitting shoes" that I'd yet to wear because well, there was no opportunity to wear them. They are still unworn, sad to say. One of these days....

I like to wear a 2.5" or 3" heel and since Oceania has no formal nights, I have lots of choices. I have never had a problem with 3" heels on a ship, unless there's rough sea's and in those cases, I stick with a lower heel.

The ones you pictured are just perfect for dressy pants.

If Oceania was your only cruise, you'll be shocked at the difference on your Queen Mary cruise when you see all those people! LOL!!

I like to wear a 2.5" or 3" heel and since Oceania has no formal nights, I have lots of choices. I have never had a problem with 3" heels on a ship, unless there are rough seas and in those cases, I stick with a lower heel.

The ones you pictured are just perfect for dressy pants.

If Oceania was your only cruise, you'll be shocked at the difference on your Queen Mary cruise when you see all those people! LOL!!

How in the world did I miss the Queen Mary 2 part of the post :confused: :rolleyes:

We were on her last year for a short 3-dayer out of LA and I have to say, it was just about the dressiest cruise we've ever been on!

I took semi-formal wear for every night and was glad I did, just about everyone was dressed to the nines on this ship. Casual nights, many men were in suits, women in cocktail dresses and evening pants suits. On formal night I saw some of the most beautiful gowns ever, a majority of the men in tuxedos.

There was a small group of people (3 couples) in jeans the first night and did they ever stand out like a sore thumb!

Even during the day we found the pax onboard to be dressier than other ships we've sailed. I always feel a bit overdressed on a cruise (my choice and I won't dress down because of it!) , we were very comfortable amongst the other pax. Very country club casual, no cut-off jeans (really, hardly any jeans!), no wife beaters, the majority of the pax looked to be very fit and a bit older crowd than the mass market lines.

Queen Mary 2 is a beautiful ship and we may sail on her again someday, but the ship was almost too large for us. The cabins were very well appointed, something we really appreciate. Don't miss Todd English, we were only able to have lunch in there as it was booked to the hilt for dinner, it was a lovely lunch.

I love my high heels. I wear them all the time. Needless to say, I'm pretty good at walking (and sometimes running;) ) in them. But, everyone's right. If you're not used to them to begin with, you'll want some lower heels, especially if you run into rough waters.

I haven't got any problem with heels, and are "used" to them. I can actually walk in heels without that bent-knee shuffle thing I've seen so often. I do prefer hiking boots to heels, so even the heels need to be comfortable, as I'm not someone who takes their shoes off and goes around barefoot because their feet hurt.

They said it was staggering, I say it was compensating for ship motion...who are you going to believe? Heh.

Jane--It's not lost on me that we are going from a little ship to the (almost) biggest one of all! And I have to say it's a million times easier to shop for clothes for the QM2 because formal is more easily defined than "country club casual"...for me, at least.

I wore 3+ inch heels on both of my Carnival cruises(Valor and Liberty) and had no problem. I even went up and down 3-4 flights of stairs in them. I found selecting styles with an ankle strap greatly helped with stability. The only time I chickened out and wore flat shoes was for climbing into the gondola in Venice. After I saw the loading dock :eek: I was glad I did.

Archived