Money Exchange and passorts at Ports???

Hi!

New questions I thought of today before our 3-25 departure on Rhapsody of the Seas. When we pull into Grand Cayman or Cozemel, where do we exchange money or don't we? But to shop don't we need Peso's, I have no idea what the exhange is but would hate to get taken advantage of. Also, do we take our passports with us when we get off the ship? Oh and I saw on other thread to take a gift card with a magnetic strip, for what??? Plus when we do go off to ports and want to buy alcohol can we bring it back on board (even to just take home) or not, will that be confiscated? Another one, is there a bag limit for the ship? Ok last one for this thread, are there mini fridges in Ocean View Rooms, we are in 4570. I know there will be many more questions until 3-25 so until then your all awesome and hope to meet a lot of you! Anyone going those dates? If so let me know, I did sign up for the Meet and Mingle! Thank you all in advance you have no idea how helpful you are to us novices :)

All the ports will accept US dollars, be sure to bring small bills though as many will tell you they don't have change. Absolutely no reason to change any money.

Magnetic gift card is for opening and closing you safe in your room. You should never use your room key and if you use a regular credit card then you have to carry it with you.

It doesn't have to be a gift card,a old grocery card, expired credit card etc will work fine.

I have never been on the ROS so I am not positive about the frig but I believe all the RCCL ships have them in all rooms.

There is no luggage limit for the ship but if you are flying most of the airlines are 50 pounds per bag.

Have a great time.

Wow that was fast 5 min. later and I have a answer!! Fantastic! By a store card, do you mean like a CVS etc. , anything with a magnetic strip? Why not use the key? Do you recommend a belly bag or lanyard to wear? Or would I look like a goofball :o ? What about packing towels? Thank you in advance!! :)

No need to pack towels, they will be available for you to take ashore.

Liquor - yes, you can buy it, but it will probably be taken from you and then given back your last night at sea.

Some people do not use their cabin card for their safe just in case someone gets your room card they cannot get into your safe.

If you want to take a fanny pack/belly pack, no one will think a thing about it. There are many ways to carry your room key; all are just fine.

Here is a link to others going on your cruise. I don't know if you are posting there yet or not.

Wow that was fast 5 min. later and I have a answer!! Fantastic! By a store card, do you mean like a CVS etc. , anything with a magnetic strip? Why not use the key? Do you recommend a belly bag or lanyard to wear? Or would I look like a goofball :o ? What about packing towels? Thank you in advance!! :)

Any card with a magnetic strip will work. Most people use lanyards and you will see everyone with them. After you get you seapass card go to the pursers desk and they will punch a hole in it to put on the lanyard. We also have the magnetic card punched with a hole. This way both things are together and you don't have to worry about carrying a wallet or purse. Leave those in the safe. The safe will sometimes demagnitize the key cards so they suggest not using them. Also if you lose your seapass card then you can't open your safe and believe me it is not an easy fix to get it opened, unfortunately we found this out the hard way when the battery died on ours.

Beach/pool towels are provided but you need to keep track of them otherwise you will be charged. Each evening you just leave them on the bathroom floor and your steward will give you fresh ones. If they get wet and you need new ones there is a station that will give you a new one and you hand them the old one.

What you do is swipe a card through the reader, just like when you pass a credit card through the reader when you purchase something. Then the safe knows that this is the key that will open it.

It will only use that card, or one w/ the same info on it, to open.

Hope I explained it okay.

U.S. cash is fine in the ports. As for liquor, it may be taken from you as you board the ship, it will be returned the last full day of your cruise. As for the safe the last 2 RCI ships I was on had the electronic pin pad where you enter your own 4 digit code (a combination lock). Whether or not to take your passport on shore is entirely up to you, we don't. Heck, there are some itineraries where we won't have our passport for at least some of the sailing, being non American the ship retains them.

SheffieWhat you do is swipe a card through the reader, just like when you pass a credit card through the reader when you purchase something. Then the safe knows that this is the key that will open it.

It will only use that card, or one w/ the same info on it, to open.

Well does Royal Carribbean then clear all the codes in all the rooms after each cruise, it seems that the last card used would be that "key", I'm sorry I'm just confused :o this is our first cruise and this is all new to me! But thanks to all of you us newbies we are learning a lot prior to our cruise. So I need to find a card with a magnectic stripe. My grocery card and CVS card don't have one, they have number strips only.

Few more questions, are there a lot of thefts? Either on shore excursions (pick pockets) or on the ship? I doubt on the ship can't even imagine it! I just wonder about jewelry and wallets. Another thought, I booked a room on deck 4, 4570 to be exact, should I upgrade to a balcony that I have heard so much about? If I do, do I go through my travel agent, or Royal Carribbean, I have already paid in full. If its that nice I would forgo excursions just to have a outdoor balcony. I want to see what all of you think about it. Thank you all again!!!!

Well does Royal Carribbean then clear all the codes in all the rooms after each cruise, it seems that the last card used would be that "key", I'm sorry I'm just confused :o this is our first cruise and this is all new to me!

The safe is left open by departing passengers. You use YOUR card to close it and then only your card will open it.

Few more questions, are there a lot of thefts? Either on shore excursions (pick pockets) or on the ship? I doubt on the ship can't even imagine it! I just wonder about jewelry and wallets. Another thought, I booked a room on deck 4, 4570 to be exact, should I upgrade to a balcony that I have heard so much about? If I do, do I go through my travel agent, or Royal Carribbean, I have already paid in full. If its that nice I would forgo excursions just to have a outdoor balcony. I want to see what all of you think about it. Thank you all again!!!!

You really shouldn't give up shore excursions for your room, you want to get to see the islands.

If you do decide to upgrade to a balcony then you need to do it through the TA, since you booked originally through them. I sailed my first couple of cruisers in an OV and didn't feel like I missed anything. there are plenty of decks that you can hang out on.

Archived