Guayabera Shirts in San Juan?

Herrbeir

Do any of you know where to buy Guayabera shirts in Old San Juan? Thanks!

Saved this info from one of my serches that I came across (think it might have been frommers?).

"David Antonio sells updated versions of the men’s classic guayabera shirt (Cuban or Mexican wedding shirt) and joyful creations for women from his small but surprising shop in 69 Ave Condado 787-725-0600. Only one garment is made in each size."

Good luck, need to pick up a couple myself.

• 3 years later...

I found the best shop for Guayabera shirts in old town San Juan. The shop is "Almacenes Fernandez" and is located on calle San Francisco 262 y 264, San Juan, Puerto Rico 00902.

They have a great selection of Cubavera (no pockets) and Guayabera (2 and 4 pocket) embroidered panel shirt in lots of colors. The shops selection ranges from poly-cotton blends to linen.

The owner, Carlos Fernandez, is very accommodating if you would like to buy more after leaving PR in that he will send you photographs and pricing, and will ship (with payment) any shirt to any location. I have purchased 6 additional shirts for my husband since leaving PR, communicating with Carlos through email and telephone. If you would like to contact Carlos via email, his email is csrodriquezfernandez@gmail.com and his phone numbers at the store are (787) 724-8085 or (787) 722-0991. He speaks both Spanish and English.

Hope this helps. Tell him Sra. Maloney sent you.

Puerto Rican men use the white short sleeve Guayabera (the puerto rican style with 2 or 4 pockets) with sand colored pants. it is fashionable once again with young people . In the shopping mall Plaza Las Americas you can find several men clothing stores that do sell them. In the historic district of San Juan like the above post wrote 'almacenes fernandez'.

The prices range from $45 to $150. The Cubavera brand, which I found to be the fullest cut and more forgiving of my husbands middle, was approximately $55 for really nice embroidered panel shirts. The linen ones are where you start getting into the big money, but ask Carlos about what he might have in linen on sale in the Cubavera brand. Almacenes Fernandez carries both two-tone and monotone versions in short and long sleeves.

DH has shopped in Clubman store in Old San Juan for years. They used to carry quality suits, jackets, gentlemen's accessories but they aren't quite the level they used to be. Maybe new owners???

However, I have seen shirts such as you are looking for at Clubman located at 107 Calle Cristo. It's a short walk from where the ships dock and you are likely to find what you want there. They have a wide range of sizes.

We used to purchase whatever it was DH wanted and they always shipped it home for us at moderate cost so we didn't have to lug things with us. We even had things tailored by their seamstress and she always did a great job.

They have always been very nice to deal with.

Archived