Restaurant Prices

Hi Monica

Kalinka-Malinka is in a great location on the backside of the Grand Europe Hotel, facing Arts Square ( Arts Square is a great place to people watch and soak up sun in the summer, on the other side of the little park is the main buildinf of the MUST-SEE State Russian Museum)

It is very touristy, more show than great food, it is in the upper part of your budget, and probably 2 people will spend , when all added up, $50-75.

I did go there once when a relative visited from the US and wanted to "go to that cute little place that had the bear on the sign." The sign outside has a dancing and is playing an instrament. I remember the appitzers were pretty expensive for what they were and the salmon second course was about $17 so with various addins it was something like $110 for 3. For a $110 I would rather have a few drinks at the Taleon Club....beautiful and worth it.

Tourist like Kalinka-Malinka and the staff is really geared toward tourists with traditional rural dress. Actually few peasants dressed that way, 80% the population were slaves until 1861.

It is set up to look like the interior of a rustic log cabin and features folk performances. I did not mention it because I was just listing place I go to.

Restaurants are EVERYWhere in St Petersburg, with 15 new restaurants and cafes each day. Most of the patrons are local Russians even in the very top restaurants, some tabs would devour in excess of 30,000 Rubles for 2! And they are full. So short visitors have lots of choices to fit any budget.

Stan

I'm hungry....

I suppose most restaurants will be touristy. Their web site shows very reasonable prices: http://www.kalinka-malinka.spb.ru/english/menu.htm Am I correct that these prices are in Rubels? I would think an appetizer and entree would be fine - maybe soup too. One web site stated, "Lunches (3 course w/o alcoholic beverages) – from EUR 15,- per person."

Been looking at other restaurants too:

Na zdorovie

Demidov

Stroganoff yard (inexpensive lunch buffet)

I'm hungry too!

Monica :)

Hi Monica

I think a full dinner for 2 at Klinka-Malinka would be just about what I estimated assuming appitizers(gotta have caviar open face sandwiches-red) soup, Russian salad, entre desert and drinks.

I did recommended Demidov, Real nice old world feel and Gypsy performances

I completely forgot Na Zdorov'e, if you are looking for a Russian decor, and good food at modest prices it is hard to beat this place but it is out on Petragradskaya side, 3rd metro stop north from Nevsky pr. so I would think you would need to manage you time well. If you only had a few more days I could tell you how to see the Real St Petersburg and really fall in love with it.

Na Zdorov'e is owned and managed by Concord Catering. These people were some of the first to import top restauant managers from France and England to learn how to do fine dining right. They also own my favorite, the Old Customs House. Everything they do is done right. Good choice.

Guess what, they also own Stroganoff Yard in the center court yard of Stroganoff Palace next to the Moika River right on Nevsky prospekt, very central. It is a very good place for lunch but not as good for a full dinner because the menu is more limited. It is actually quite nice, not a cafe but a real restaurant in a tent in the courtyard. In the spring it is a nice place to meet when it is still too cool for the many outdoor cafes. Plan a lunch there and one of the more formal restaurants on the list for a special dinner. I like this place if the weather is nice(they do have good heating) when they open the sides of the tent, and when it is not so crowded. In the summer I don't even consider going there, too busy. It is so central to the activities you are interested in that it would be on the way to whatever next venue you were going to.

I have a question. How long are you going to on the ground in SPb? Are you going on tours or on your own? Why not contact Ali at Den Rus and have them create a private tour that gives you as much walking around time as possible. I know them and they are great people, and really know the city. 72 hours in port is never enough for this city. 120 museums and hundreds of palaces, 540 unique bridges, 44 islands, and great archetecture everywhere you look. 54 theaters for classical, ballet, opera......anything you might like....any day. When friends come to visit from other countries, I recommend 10 days just the see the basics. Heck, i have been to the Hermitage at least 50 times and still have not seen all the 3,800,000 display items.

Stan

Stan,

I'll be in St. Petersburg for 2 days and will be booking with Denrus. I have a group of 8 people so far for the tours.

As for our dining options, it will be for lunch only (we'll be on the ship for dinner), so I can understand why your prices stated were higher than what I saw on the menu. You are probably thinking of a more substantial dinner rather than lunch.

Ilya, from Denrus, confirmed three restaurants on my list as good options: Kalinka-Malinka, Na Zdoroyve, and Adamant. He also mentioned the Russian club, Chaikovsky, and Podvorye.

I have been on the Concord Catering web site. Their web site states (in their menu section, "All price are in y.e. " What is y.e? Is that another type of currency? I couldn't find it on the currency exchange web site, only rubles. If I can get that exchange rate, I can figure out their menu prices.

As for the sights to see in St. Petersburg, I already have it in my mind to return there for at least 7 days. I know there is sooo much to see and do and our two days will hardly scratch the surface.

Thanks again for your suggestions.

Monica

PS: Hows the temperature in mid May? We'll be there the 13-14th.

Hi Monica

Now I understand,sorry about all the dinner houses on my list. My dinner estimate costs included salads, entre desert and drink.

I figure part of your very business tour will be going out to Pavlosk which in May will be very nice, because DenRus recommended Podvorye. I did not because it is 18 miles out of town on the way to Pavlovsk. It is nice and has a good atmosphere. I particularly like their pork Shaslik, sort of Russian version of Shisk ka babob but better.

Adamant is an unusual addition to the list. It is very nice, beautiful antique decor but with prices to match. Unless they have some sort of deal for a tour, I can't imagine them being in your price range by double. Since you are going in May and the weather "might" be very nice, I like the idea of Stroganoff Yard for lunch if you are in the city center at lunch time but where to go depends a lot more on where you are in your tour. If you are taking in Pushkin and Pavlovsk in one day, eat out there at Podvorye. By the way, Catherine Palace in Pushkin is my favorite palace anywhere, it has perfect scale and detail balance. The fountains will be on at Peterhof however so that is a great palace complex to visit in mid May also.

May is the beginning of White Nights so going back to the ship so early is a shame, the city is alive all night during that period and walking around, strolling the canals and sightseeing or listening to live music, at 3-4am is very romantic. After a long winter, locals and visitors alike do not sleep much because there is so much to do and see, the city is electric with energy.

The weather will be changable, this last May was pretty but we had some rain and cooler than normal....as was the whole summer. Figure highs of 74F and lows during the daytime, of 58F for mid May with chances of short gentle spring rains. Night time temps, because of the rising humidity close to summer are not too much colder. Bring a few layers of light clothing but include an umbrella in case.

As fast as things are changing in SPb, and all of Russia, it is possible that there will be 100 more city center cafes and restaurants by May;>) On tour books, my favorite, but a little out of date is the D&K series published in England....beautiful photos and graphics. Another one is a similar format published by Knopf which stresses art a bit too much but it is a joy to look at. The most popular ones are Lonely Planet and Rough Guide is seems but I think they miss the spirit and sense of the city that the books above do so well. ALL guide books are out of date so forget prices and most stores and restaurants and even visa procedures. Better information is available on forums like this.

The y.e. is explained in detail in my first post in this thread. It is Dollars, but read the post concerning what it means and why.

Have a great cruise and visit...you picked a great time before the hordes arrive. Personally I like spring and early fall most, then summer and lastly, winter. I love the winter beauty after a snow and looking back across the river towards the palace embankment at night(any time after 4:30 is dark in the winter) with the buildings lit so beautifully with colored lights....Paris has nothing on SPb...;>). Winter is quiet except at New years which is THE holiday in Russia. The cultural season however is still in full swing as it is for 11 months of the year.

When you come for a week, the city will have more chance to get under your skin. if you like any (cultural events, concerts, ballet or opera ) you must take some of them in to get a feel of the real Russia, and meet a few Russians and learn of their great hospitality...and never turn down an invitation for a dinner in one of their their homes, it is worth the trip. DenRus can take care of your visa and an apartment(my recommendation) or a hotel for your next visit.

Stan

Monica I have been following your conversations with Stan,who has been so helpful and knowledgeable. We are doing a Red October tour towards the end of May and we were wondering if you can help us out with a restaurant choice for lunch The three restaurants that you picked for your tour,would it be possible to give us a what type of food they serve and their prices Thanks for any help. Stan maybe you start your own tour company

Hi Eddie,

Here's what I have (and it's probably in my order of preference) - you can click on the links and see their menus:

1. Restaurant "Kalinka-Malinka", Italianskaya ulitsa, 5. Tel. 314 2681. http://www.kalinka-malinka.spb.ru/ (see their menu) Situated in front of Russian Museum and behind the famous Europe Hotel, this small cozy restaurant offers excellent service, real tasty Russian dishes, and interior decorated as old Russian "country house", wooden "izba". At night there is live folk music. Reservation is highly recommended. Average price for the meal is about 20-25$. Web: Kalinka-Malinka Lunches (3 course w/o alcoholic beverages) – from EUR 15,- per person. This is also listed in the Thomas Cook guidebook: "...the best of national cuisine..."

2. Restaurant "Na zdorovie (Good health!)", Bolshoi Prospect 13, Petrogradskaya Storona. Tel. 232 4039. Many people consider this place as the best restaurant of Russian cuisine. It has n unique and special decoration and tasty dishes of Russian cuisine. The service is excellent. At night there is a live music, Russian music and songs, and also Gipsy ballads. The price of the dinner is about 20-30$ (another web site states, "$15 to $20). (This restaurant is also listed in Insight Guides). http://www.sptimesrussia.com/archive/times/525/features/rest.htm "Na Zdorovye!" …12 p.m. to 11 p.m. daily. Meal for two with wine, around 900 rubles (approx. $35).

Also see: http://www.concord-catering.ru/

$12 lunch for 1 without alcohol

$55 diner for 2 without alcohol

Beer (0.5 l.) - $2-25

Vodka (a bottle) - $15-30

Soft drinks - $0.5-4

3. Adamant Restaurant European & Russian cuisine, classical interior. Background music. Visa credit card accepted. Open: 1 p.m. – 12 p.m. 72 Moyka river embankment. Smart, New-Russian establishment serving fresh seafood in stately surroundings. Perfect for smart night out. The Russian salmon with Pushkin potatoes are divine. £25 per head for two courses including wine.

Cold dishes - $3-15

Hot dishes - $3-30

Caffee - $2

Beer - $2

A $25-100 dinner for 2 without alcohol.

Adamant Restaurant, considered one of St. Petersburg’s finest dining establishments.

4. Restaurant Demidov Exquisite Russian cuisine based on old recipes. Although it promotes itself as a regional Georgian establishment, serving up culinary delights from the Caucasus region, this small, elegant restaurant opposite the Engineer's Castle is just as much a taste of old Russian charm, with tastefully appointed tables and furniture. Demidov also has a reasonable wine list, as well as a small selection of Cuban and Dominican cigars. The gypsy trio that is often in attendance may well come up to your table and serenade you personally. Capacity: 2 halls – 40 + 20 seats, banquet hall – 10 seats. Lunches (3 course w/o alcoholic beverages) – from EUR 15,- per person. http://www.demidov.spb.ru.

I also found out what y.e. stands for: Many people in Russia got used to thinking in US dollars because of the instability of the rouble before, so sometimes you'll see the prices in "units" ("y.e.") that is the same as US dollars. http://www.waytorussia.net/Practicalities/Money.html

I hope this helps!

Monica

Hi Stan,

Another Thank You! for all your information. It will certainly help me, and others too.

No, we will not be going to Pavlosk. This is our tour:

Day One:

City Tour - to various sights

Catherine Palace at Pushkin

Imperial Park

Lunch

Peter-and Paul Fortress

The State Hermitage Museum

Day Two:

Peterhof Grand Palace

Peterhof Fountain Park

Lunch

Metro ride

Yusupov Palace

St Isaac’s Cathedral

As for strolling around in the evenings, we'll have long busy days so I think we'll be happy enough to return to the ship in the early evening to have dinner and relax. Also, since Denrus is providing our visa's, we can't just go on our own into the city.

With the weather, we'll have to pack a variety of clothing. Our suitcases will be heavy on this trip.

Sorry I missed your y.e. explanation at the beginning of this post. I did find a web site that talked about it. Will read yours again.

Take care. If I have anymore questions, I'll post them here.

Monica

Stan,

I do have one more question. What is the difference between Russian food and Ukrainin food. I found this one restaurant, which seems to be a very good price:

Shinok Ukrainian restaurant. Considered to be the best Ukrainian restaurant in St. Petersburg. The food is quite tasty and the portions are hearty. Another advantage is that the restaurant is opened 24 hours a day. The interior is traditional Ukrainian: rough tables and chairs, waiters wearing national costumes. The prices are quite low: $10 for a full meal. Try vareniki (cottlettes made of cottage cheese), pancakes, various garnishes, salads, and Gorilka (Ukrainian home-made vodka). Address: Zagorodny prospekt, 13 (metro: Vladimirskaya, Dostoevskaya). Telephone: (812) 311-8262

Thanks,

Monica

Hi Monica

You have done a lot of homework for your trip. One thing I would consider is that most local publications review only those restaurants which advertise with them. Therefore you will dozens of quotes decribing different restaurants as "the best in the city" or someother wishful thinking. There are some great restaurants in the city but they are all very pricy for the truly "best in the city" level. For example Kalinka-Malinka is a pleasant experience aimed entirely at tourist, locals do not find it to their taste.

Adamant is really good but I am afraid the review is a bit generous and the prices quoted too low., for not too much more, there is Noble Nest, where well heeled Russian dine. The first restaurant I mentioned, 1913 God, is very good and authentic but more formal and elegant than Kalinka-Malinka, also visited primarily by Russians.

I know Shinok because it is in my neigborhood. It is a decent cafe but hardly qualifies as among the best Ukrainian restaurants in the city. It features cheap and hearty food, I like that sort but ther are 2,812 others in the city that might be closer to where you are when you are hungry. Really...there are good cafes and restaurants 5 to the block everywhere you go here.

After looking at your tour schedule I got tired and had to lay down;>)..wow, that is a FULL first day. I guess I am not that efficient in getting around, it would take me several days to get in Pushkin and the Hermitage in one day, let alone Peter and Paul Fortress. When you are down south towards Pushkin, Podvorye is close by so it might be the most convienent even though it is 18 miles away from the Hermitage.

The second day is not any easier, boy, you are going to see a lot. Consider buying picture books instead of trying to find the best angles for your own photos, you will see more and with less stress that way. Each museum and book store has a wide choice is photo books. Take snap shot of youselves but leave the serious camera work to the pros who had empty palaces and perfect lighting to work with.

Both Peterhof and Pushin are walking intensive destinations, the grounds of the palaces are huge but you will want to see as much as possible. I am a history buff so I loved the stories and lore of the palaces and probably will be very interesting to you inside the palaces, and not just the grounds. Peter and Paul Fortress is the historical heart of the city and it is the site of many different museums inside the walls. If it is warm, or even if cold but sunny,you will see that the beach outside the walls will be filled with sunbathers. If it is sunny, I might be out there doing the same.

Ukrainian food is similar to Russian food but neither nationalities would admit that. There is a lot of annimosity between the two peoples. My take on it is that few dishes are unique to either country. They call similar dishes by different names. Russian borscht is very similar to Ukrainian borshch but most agree it was from Ukraine originally before being modified by regional variations in Russia. Ukrainian Varenyky are like Russian pelmini, Italian ravioli but it seems to be from Siberia. Even though it is considered peasant food, I love pelmini and the slightly more intricate Varenyky. I like mine with malt vinegar but everybody else likes with more traditional Smetlana( a sweat sour cream Russians use on EVERYTHING), Even the same drink has different names, Vodka = Horilka ( the H is pronouced "G") so Peterhoff is pronounced Petergoff and Hamburger is Gamburger. The Ukrainian Nalysnyky is the Russian Blini which is a thin buckwheat pancake or crepe....in fact the French borrowed it on their retreat from Moscow in the War of 1812. Blinis are a universal food, stuffed with anything, jams, caviar, cheese, pork, cabbage whatever and can be had on street corners, fine restaurants and everywhere in between. The only food known in the west from Ukrain is Chicken Kiev but that was not a dish for the general population, was considered food for princes and Tzars...although it is easy to make.

Ukraine has some of the best tasting vegetables anywhere, I think it is the rich black soil in the eastern portion of the country but I;ve gone to dachas and just picked sun warmed tomatoes and considered it a filling meal better than ice cream! Their dairy products are rich and sweat. But they traditionally did not serve the vast array of fish( my favorite) that Russians have all the time. Salmon, fresh, dried or smoked is more popular than any meat but when meat was available the cuts were not very useful for anything but boiling or mincing. Now with more import meats, you can even find a regular western style steak now but not jst a few years ago. Pork is much more popular than beef and chicken is more popular than pork. There are lots of fish I have never seen alive just on my plate so I don't know what many of them are. Stirlet, a stockier version of salmon is wonderful. Caviar is often used for open face sandwiches with lots of butter and sprinkled with fresh dill. Dill is used in everything long with butter, Smetlana and eveything a diet says "no" to but is is nothing for fat compared to Ukrainians who like Salo....raw pork fat! Cabbage rolls and cabbage soup, crepes and other used of cabbage is a lot more common in Ukraine than Russia. A national cabboage roll dish is Holubtsi which is also called Dove rolls( that is the name in Ukrainian)

Both countries used to drink Kvas which is from fermented bread. When I first came to Russia in the 70s there were large barrels on the street where you could buy gallons of it for low cost. It fell out of favor when soda and beer became popular in the last 10 years but just recently kids have discovered it as a hip drink. It is, I really like it if cold. Suddenly you can find it in bottles next to Coke and beer in store refrigerator cases and it is selling quite well. Almost any itlem from the Soviet period, which is disappearing, is suddenly cool and trendy. there is a whole class of restaurant and cafe called "Red" which have trendy interiors and high prices featuring nostalgia artifacts the kids do not remember.

Salad: Russian salads are normally chopped vegetables, potato, meat or fish, pickled anything, dill and other mild spices mixed with forms of mayonnaise. It is not what westerners expect but there hundreds of varitions that must be tried, many are very tasty. I love them.

Pickles: pickles are very popular and there are many types available in any market or open air markets. Any vegetable, fish or whatever might be pickled with different processes. For a pickle lover like me, it is great. Russians seem to like pickles more than Ukrainians.

There are two other national passions:Mushrooms and ice cream. each fall half the city heads out to the woods to hunt mushrooms. I am not sure which are safe so I simply help others in their hunt because every Russian cantell the difference between the 100 different types in the woods surrounding SPb.

Ice cream is less sweet than in the west but very good with very good texture. All year round, there are ice cream selling carts on the streets, even when it is -20C out. An ice cream bar is about $.30-.35 and carts is spaced just far enough apart to be able to buy another one when you finished your last ice cream ...if you eat fast because there will be two each block on Nevsky prospekt.

Russian chocolate is different also, cheap and good. It also, is less sweet than milk chocolate in the west but their dark chocolate is sweeter then dark in the west. When someone gives a foreigner chocolate or ice cream there is an expectant look on their face. They are waiting for the visitor to say it is better than anything they've had before. Each town takes real pride in their chocolate and ice cream thinking they are better than anywhere in the world. Usually they have only tried chocolate in mass produced candy bars from the west so it is easy to see why they are so sure of themselves;>)

The only western ice cream they have from the west is Baskin Robins which is pricey in SPb.

Appitizers are meals in themselves with real traditions attached to eating them in one bite immediately after a short of vodka. Now, vodka is mainly used for toasts and celebrations while dinner drinks are fruit juice, beer or wine. The third toast is always to Women or love. Drunks are a lot less of a problem than the western press reports. W.H.O. statistics show Russians drink a lot less per capita than Fins, Irish, Dutch, and Germans. A dinner in someones home, where you are guest will often have 5-10 different sorts of delicious appitizers....than several courses to follow. Forget the diet, you only live once;>) Despite the fat in some dishes and the vast qualities of food offeredin home home meals people are remarkably trim and toned. Although the northern regions have a lot of tall people, partularly women who often ar 5'10 ++ and men not as often, the national average dress size(when converted from US system) is size 6. Most young women are size 2-4. The biggest selling pants size is "2" for younger women, under 30. I notice because I used to have a high-end women's dress store and because well.....I am a man;>) It is is impossible to find an overweight child and very rare to see an overweight person under 45 in St Petersburg. With more cars and less walking, weight is starting to creep up however.

If you are finding warm weather, forget the fancy restaurant and head to the country side and have barbaqued pork, fish or lamb with secret marinade called Sashlik that is a national passion for picnics and outdoors. Often it is pork or lamb on skewers over oak coals on a special portable barbaque. Most restaurants and cafes serve it also but it is best outdoors in the woods just past the suburbs.

All this talk of food has me drooling, talk to you later while I go have dinner;>)

Stan

Monica Thank you so much for sharing your research with us as Stan said you have really done your homework. I will read it right after the world series game.

Stan Between Monica and yourself you have really opened our eyes for this trip I have 2 more questions if I may ask are there any sanitation problems in the smaller restaurants that might lead to some intestinal problems after eating. Also friends of ours who visited St petersburg said that they thought there was a pickpocketing problem with various street gangs . Can you help us this Thank you Eddie

Hi Eddie

These 2 questions come up often. First, with the second question. Pickpockets are not a problem on streets, that is not how they work. They need a place where there is a lot of confusion, some of it they make themselves. The busiest times of the day for the central metro stations (primarily the busiest station under Gosstiny Dvor shopping center) at rush hour has people packed into cars with no room to even move your arms. A "gang" of 2 or 3 men will cause a disturbance by pushing these tightly packed people who try to brace themselves from falling over. That is when they strike, they singled out one person who has a walllet in their back pocket or a backpack. There is NOTHING you can do about it to protect yourself in that situation unless you leave your wallet or loose purse at home. Keep passport and cards in inner pockets and unless really needed a purse can be left home also, just carry photocopies of your documents, not the originals. I got hit for $1300 this way last Oct 2003.

On the street, it is too hard to get close enough to pick someone's pocket.

The real street problem is gone now but it was a real problem. That is the bands of from 6-20 Roma women ranging from age 10 to 40s, plus infants on backs. Roma are often called Gypies in the west.

There two bands that terrorized tourists and locals alike have been deported last spring after we all screamed long enough about it. You would find it hard to believe a band of women would be so swift, aggressive and effective in taking everything a person had on them in seconds even in the middle of a busy sidewalk. They just cruised up and down Nevsky pr scanning for their next victim, when they would surround them and swarm over them. If the victim tried to resist, they would tackle the victim, force even the largest men to the ground and take everything from every pocket in 2 seconds. Everything would happen so fast, no one could react fast enough to help.

Well the police made a number of sweeps and checked their passports and visas and deported the illegal immigrants...in a week, after years of this problem suddenly dissappeared and did not return. There really are no other real dangers on the street. You will not be subject to muggings or violence, it is physically safer than cities in the US. People of all ages wander all night during most of the year and never give it a thought. A popular mode of transportation is the Private Taxi. A private taxi is any older car. Just flag a car down, open the door and tell the driver where you want to go and then ask "SKOL'ka" - how much? If you agree to the price, usually about $1 per mile and get in. Basically it is paid hitchhiking. Everybody does it, particularly women who are alone...even at 4a.m.! with no concerns about safety. After midnight, these private cars are ablout the transportation still running.

The city is safe.

Sanitation? The water has trace metals and very diluted industial contamination. For years SPb was a major industrial center and some nasty chemicals leeched into the ground water. It has stopped years ago from being an manufacturing center.The water is getting better but it is still a far cry from US standards. Bio-hazards are pretty much taken care of by the application of chlorine at the distribution pumping stations. The water is not as bad as rumored but still, it would be best not to drink it for prolonged period. Short term exposure is not a problem according to health professionals who monitor for water system born illnesses. So, is washing lettuce in tap water dangerous...no. Washing your lettuce for 20 years might be another story however. Locals drink fruit juice and bottled water but usually boil tap water in their electric samovars for tea and coffee.

Cafes and restaurants are checked often for cmpliance to health department regulations. They can be strict. I had a girlfriend several years ago who had a cafe and a high end restaurant. I was there for a few of the monthly sanitation/health department inspections and I can say it was thorough.

I've never had any problem with any food in 25 years of visiting before I moved to SPb. I don't know anyone who has had a problem either, or at least symptoms for which the food wouild could have been a logical cause. Travel to an new area, no matter how clean may result in problems because of a difference in bachteria than you are used to. I ate 1000 meals out last year and if there was a general problem, it would have shown up .

You will only eat out in the city once or twice so the odds of any problem is going to very low.

As a point of interest. If you look as menus in person you will see a round embosed stamp or seal on every page with a signature across it. That is an official seal from the health department approving the items on the page, Any new dish needs to be submitted to the health department for testing before it can be added to the menu.

Stan

Hi Stan,

You are correct about the advertising restaurants, which is why I really appreciate your comments! :) Between your suggestions, my readings from various sources (and it's not just advertisements, but guidebooks and personal recommendations), I'm sure I'll come up with good choices.

Most of these tours are rushed, but it's the best a tourist can do in 2 days. At least we'll have a driver and guide to take us around and show us some wonderful highlights. With being on a tour, the company will take care of our Visa, so we won't have access to St. Petersburg on our own. That's fine. I do intend to return there within the next 2-3 years and spend PLENTY of time there!!!

I do like your idea of buying picture postcards of the places we'll visit. Photos never come out well, and we'll have more to see rather than worrying about taking photos (as well as having to pay a photographer's fee).

"Podvorye is close by so it might be the most convienent even though it is 18 miles away from the Hermitage." Is this restaurant on the way back to the city? If so, I might consider it, but if it's not, then I'll pick places in the city so we don't loose time in the extra driving.

Wow, your explanation of the various foods is so wonderful! I'm drooling too and can't wait to taste these foods.

Eddie, when do you go on your trip? Did you also check tours with Denrus? That's who we're going with and Ilya from the company has been just wonderful. Always prompt in responding to my emails and flexible with the itinerary.

Thanks!

Monica

Monica We are sailing on The Constellation on 5/21 and we will be in St Petersburg on 5/28 and 5/29 what happened with our tour was that we were originally 4 people and the price for the tours were prohibitive. We came on this site and the Celebrity Connections site looking to expand our group. Elaine had answered my post and she had some people who were taking the tours. Ourgroup when added to theirs made the price very affordable and since they were looking at R.O., I didn't want to seem out of order by suggesting Denrus. From what I read I believe both of these companies give you a good value for your money BTW when are you sailing??

Morning all,
Yesterday afternoon, out of curiousity I sent an email to Denrus to see what they had to offer for tours. They did not list anything on their website. Waiting to hear from them. Though, I seem to be leaing towards R O bet both are good.
Elaine

Hi Eddie,

I'm sailing May 7th out of Dover and will be in St. Petersburg on the 13/14th of May. I can't wait!

Here's what Denrus offered my group:

[b][b][u][font=Times New Roman][b]Day One[/b] [/font][/u][/b][/b]

[font=Times New Roman]As soon as the ship is cleared - [b]The city orientation drive[/b] (city highlights) starts[b]. [/b][/font]

[font=Times New Roman][b]0900-1000 [/b]drive 30 km south of St Petersburg to the imperial summer residence[b] – the [/b][b]Catherine[/b][b] [/b][b]Palace[/b][b] at Pushkin[/b] [font=Arial][/font][/font]

[font=Times New Roman][b]1000-1050[/b] a guided tour of the Palace[b][/b][/font]

[font=Times New Roman][b]1100-1130 [/b]Walk through a[b] marvelous park [/b]near the Palace[b].[/b][/font]

[font=Times New Roman][b]11.30-12.30 [/b]Drive to the city[b],[/b][/font]

[font=Times New Roman][b]12.40-13.40 [/b][i]Lunch time[/i].[i][b][/b][/i][/font]

[font=Times New Roman][b]14.00 [/b]visit to [b]Peter-and-Paul Fortress[/b][font=Arial]. [/font][/font]

[font=Times New Roman][b]15.00-1730 [/b]inside visit to[b] the Hermitage ([/b]a guided tour of the best collections)[b].[/b][font=Arial][/font][/font]

[font=Times New Roman][b]1730 - 1800 [/b]drive back to the ship[/font]
[font=Times New Roman]Abt. 1800 - return to ship[/font]
[font=Times New Roman] [/font]

[b][b][u][font=Times New Roman]Day Two [/font][/u][/b][/b]

[font=Times New Roman][b]0830 [/b]start of the tour. Drive South-West of St Petersburg to visit one of summer residences of Russian Tsars in[b] Peterhof – the Russian Versailles[/b][font=Arial]. [/font][/font]

[font=Times New Roman][b]0930-1020 a guided tour round the Grand Palace of Peterhof ([/b][i]Specially arranged Early Opening to avoid crowds[/i][b]).[/b][/font]

[font=Times New Roman][b]1030-1100[/b] walk round the world famous [b]fountain park[/b] to hear interesting stories of the fountains and enjoy them playing[/font]

[font=Times New Roman][b]1115-1200 [/b]return drive to the city[/font]

[font=Times New Roman][color=black][b]1200-1230 Metro ride [/b][/color][color=black]to see the[b] most beautiful stations[/b][/color][b]. [color=red] [/color][/b][/font]

[font=Times New Roman][b]1250-1350[/b] [i]Lunch time[/i].[/font]

[b][font=Times New Roman]1415-1545 Visit to the Yusupovs’ Palace[/font][/b]

[font=Times New Roman][b]1600-1630 [/b]Inside visit to the famous[b] St Isaac’s cathedral[/b] [/font]

[font=Times New Roman][b]1700[/b] – back to ship[/font]

[font=Times New Roman] [/font]

Both RO and Denrus have received only positive comments on this web site.

Monica ;)

Hi Monica
I wanted to clarify a statement I wrote earler concering cameras. I suggested buying one of the many really good photo-books instead of taking your own photos. I agree with that but I was intending that to mean inside the Hermitage, Russian Museum, Catherine Palace and the Grand Palace at Peterhof. Some of the books have breathtaking photos that is for sure. I also suggest, however, to keep a camera handy for any outdoor use because, particularly during the city orientation drive and the grounds around Peterhof, Pushkin and if you climb the 384 steps to the observation level of St Isaac.
You will get great shots outdoors because simply pointing in any random direction in the city center, you will see sights as glorious as anything seen in Europe. If you can get the driver to slow down and take in as much of the city center as possible, that overview might be the most impressive part of the day. Going early will mean traffic will not be heavy and most people seen on the streets at 8:30-9:00 will be tourists with puzzled looks and holding guide books. This is really an easy city to find your way around and I think those holding to guide books are making to more difficult than it really is. They don't realize that when standing in one spot, they can see dozens of buildings, monuments and other recommended sights.
I carry a small digital camera most days even if I am not planning to be in interesting areas but those usually surprise me by being very interesting. I used to carry a nice SLR 35mm which took great photos but due to its weight and size, I only carried it when I was spicifically going out to take photos. On previous trips I took hundreds of 35mm photos but with the handy Power Shot A70, I took 3,000 or more this last year alone.
So take your camera for sure, just leave it in the cloak room so you don't have to pay for photo permission inside the Hermitage.
It is hard to have a bad angle shot at the Peterhof fountains or outside Catherine Palace, of from the mid point of the dome on St Isaac's
When people ask me for recommendations for a short introduction to the city, it is difficult for me to limit it to 2 days. These things Den Rus plans are all good choices, but they are choices among at least 100 equally interesting and spectacular destinations. No one is bored with these but some of the best museums are are too specialized to appeal equally to say 8 visitors seeing it together.
After reading a post above,I wrote to the owner of Den Rus suggesting he put more details about their tours and I am sure Ali and crew would like to get their message out clearly. I know Ali and have met the rest of the office. I am not sure he would want me to broadcast it but he is a real travel pro who retired to St Petersburg after many years as head if Finair US and for Russia based in St Petersburg Before that he created the largest travel agency in the US specializing in bringing visitors to Russia. After retirement he and his wife moved to St Petersburg and started Den Rus 3 years ago. He knows how to treat clients and how to best share his adopted city with first time visitors. I think visitors on a limited time allowance would be hard pressed to find a service that is a better deal or had such a feel for what western visitors would like.
Have smooth sailing....I came on these forums to learn about cruising since I want to take my girlfriend on a mid-winter cruise somewhere warm and relaxing. I've never been on a cruise before and always thought they were not my style but after reading the posts and seeing how everybody is so pleased with their cruising experiences I am looking forward to out get away. I've been even more impressed with the general supportive, enthusiastic attitude and helpfulness of every poster on this forum. That is quite different than some of the other travel( non-cruising) forums. I want to plan everything and not tell her until very shortly before the departure, taking the opportunity to ask her boss about getting time off without her knowing about it. She lives in San Francisco after moving from Minsk 4 years ago and I used to live near San Francisco but Saint Petersburg now so we sort of switched places, each needing to learn the others language to get by. Any suggestions for a cruise to warm places from California, with a moderate number of passengers, primarily adults, and having a romantic atmosphere let me know. I've been all over the world solo, 86 countries and never found a destination I did not like so I am sure I will love a cruise to anywhere or nowhere, just sun and relaxation with a special person.
Thanks
Stan

[font=Verdana]Hi Stan,[/font]

[font=Verdana] [/font]

[font=Verdana]When I travel, I bring both my SLR and my digital (Canon A70). Sometimes it’s a pain in the butt to carry both of them, but if I were to leave one at home, I would regret it. I also typically buy a nice photo book of a place I have visited. I’ve taken a few good inside photos, but not many. [/font]

[font=Verdana] [/font]

[font=Verdana]I’m not sure we’ll have time to climb the stairs at St. Isaac’s. We’ll have to base it on our time we have.[/font]

[font=Verdana] [/font]

[font=Verdana]You state to leave the camera in the cloak room – if we don’t intend to take photos, can’t we still hold our own camera? Is it safe to leave an expensive camera in the cloak room?[/font]

[font=Verdana] [/font]

[font=Verdana]Ilya, from Denrus, has been just wonderful and accommodating to our needs, which is the main reason I chose Denrus. You mention Finnair [/font][font=Verdana]US[/font][font=Verdana] – was he a pilot? My husband’s a pilot. [/font]

[font=Verdana] [/font]

[font=Verdana]I think your cruise will be a nice surprise for your girlfriend. Since you are becoming familiar with this Cruise Critic web site, check out the Mexican Riviera section, where you can read up on the destinations and figure out what you like: [url="http://www.cruisecritic.com/ports/area.cfm?area=13"][color=windowtext]http://www.cruisecritic.com/ports/area.cfm?area=13[/color][/url], as well as the discussion boards to get ideas of where to go. [url="http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=203"][color=windowtext]http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=203[/color][/url] You can also post a question on “First time Cruisers” [url="http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=97"][color=windowtext]http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=97[/color][/url] or the Mexican Riviera link and ask for their recommendations. No one will really see your questions on this particular posting.[/font]

[font=Verdana] [/font]

[font=Verdana]Once you pick out the ports you like, you can ask a travel agent to help select the right cruise company. For me, I love Celebrity, and have sailed on other companies as well. If I had to choose another I would pick Royal Caribbean or Norwegian. I sailed on Princess last year, but will not sail with them again. Lots of people like Carnival, though I haven’t been on their ships in many years – I do understand they are a very good company. [/font]

[font=Verdana] [/font]

[font=Verdana]I hope this helps you! Whatever you choose, it will be a great cruise with your girlfriend![/font]

[font=Verdana] [/font]

[font=Verdana]Monica [/font]

Hi Monica
I probably have the same camera set up and feel the same way about the pain it is to go out with cameras hanging from my neck. I only use the SLR and lens case on outings that are dedicated to taking photos. Getting good quality indoor shot is hard in SPb because the lighting is seldom bright enough for hand held exposure times. I mentioned leaving the heavy camera in the cloak room because there is no hassles with the old women who man every room in museums making sure you have the right permit for photos. Most larger museums charge extra for a photo permit, between 30-60 Rubles ($1-2). When I do take indoor photos it is usually just for the purpose of showing my companion in a museum setting, just snap shots for memories. Normally I leave my larger camera and case with lenses in the cloak room which as a full time attendent. All restaurant, concert halls, museums and other venues have cloak rooms in Russia and they tend to be safe places to store valuable coats and semi-valuable cameras. I would not suggest leaving a purse however. There is no expectation for a tip in Russian cloak rooms, nor in normal non-tourist restaurants but that staple of the service industry is gaining popularity in Russia. In the winter, the cloak room is full of floor length minks and sables worth ( and more useful in the winter) much more than any camera but theft is very rare. Generslly, I like to take as little with me as possible, and do not even carry a wallet there anymore. Just a copy of my visa/passport and some cash and debit card is all I've have in my pocket.

Ali was the head of sales for Finair in both the US and Russia. I'll have to ask him if he is a pilot. He left on vacation today for Florida. I'm a private pilot but don't fly much anymore. I've had two planes which were quite different in character, the first plane, a Piper Arrow in which I took my primary training and a Citation business jet. Nowadays I can't even afford the landing fees of a jet let along the maintenance and fuel costs however.

Thank you for your suggestions on the message boards. I posted the question here since it is a quieter topic to see a more personal recommendation. I know Princess has regular departures from San Francisco, the Sapphire at berth there several times....wow, what a beautiful ship! Actually I do not care for any particular ports of call, just the sea days and relaxing pampering but she has never been anywhere except Russia, Estonia the US and driving over the boarder to Mexico for the weekend last year. She is an immigrant from Belarus 4 years ago and just learned English this last year while I was in Russia. It was quite a home coming to suddenly be able to communicate in my language instead of my very bad Russian. She loves the sun and sun bathing, any place warm which is a common passion for anyone who grew up in Eastern Europe which has harsher winters.
I'll explore the Mexican Riviera message board to see what opinions are offered.

One thing I notice is the long planning that most cruisers seem to undertake before their trips. My travel experience was often planning while on the plane;>) Often my destination was selected by standing in the airport and seeing which plane is boarding soonest and buying a ticket and walking on in all of 10 minutes....years before the long lines and security checks of today. Some of my most memorable destinations were countries I never would have thought of if I had planned it in advance. I view cruises as more of a pampering hotel/spa/retreat/restaurant than a way to visit other countries. I know Natasha would like white sandy beaches even more however than exploring. As long as the ship has a good disco, a excuses to dress up( as a Eastern European woman it can be assumed she loves to dress to the 9s, even to go grocery shopping. ) and warm sun and water she will love it.

Thanks for your comments and have a great trip.
Stan

Hi Stan,

For such an inexpensive fee for taking photos in museums, I'd rather pay for it. I have an expensive Nikon and I don't trust anyone to keep it, where overseas or here in the US.

Since you seem to prefer a relaxing cruise and not worry too much about the ports, I would suggest you read about the different cruise companies and pick the best one for you that has a good disco, formal nights, and other amenities that you want. Some pick a cruise based on ports; others the ship itself. I would imagine most Mexican ports will have beaches to visit for your girlfriend to enjoy. Still I would still recommend a little reading on the ports. You may find that in addition to the beaches, there might be something of interest to see or do. That's the nice part of cruising - lots of unexpected things. Lots of things to do or do nothing at all.

My husband used to have his own Mooney but sold it because of the expensive gas costs and tie down costs. But being an airline pilot, he still gets to enjoy his passion.

If you'd like to continue to correspond, email me! :p

Take care,

Monica

PS: Ilya sent me a link to see some photos of the metro stations in St. Petersburg. Fabulous!!!

Stan,

I looked today at a couple of cruise brochures. Seems like all companies go to the same ports, so I would suggest you pick your cruise based on the ship and number of days at sea.

One important thing for me is not to be on such a large ship. I like those that have less than 2,000 passengers; otherwise, you are always in long lines. I would hate to be on one with 3,500 passengers!!!

Monica:)

Archived