Ginger Root for seasickness???

Duffman

I use the ginger tablets or pills found in the Vitamin area. In a 'normal" or mild sea, it works very well for me. However, this is an individual thing. I also always have the Bonnine handy just in case. You could have some to try but also have a back-up. Suggest you begin taking it several days before boarding.

I take ginger capsules, ginger teabags and sea bands. They have worked for me in 32 foot waves. It is best to take whatever you decide on right when you start feeling ill or before if possible. I put on the seabands when it starts getting rough and leave them on until it calms again. Ginger tea is very soothing. I don't think ginger root is concentrated enough to do any good.

Having sailed on small (30-40') boats for almost 40 years and having been in some nasty seas, I rely on two things: candied ginger and apples. Next time you feel queasy, try eating an apple - trick taught me by a nurse who was a veteran sailor.... works every time for me.

Ginger is a great alternative if you don't want the drugs. My bag of crystallized ginger slices from Trader Joes is already packed. I probably will never eat it but I have it along.

I would take drugs though if I was in some serious seas. I don't think ginger or Sea Bands could do much for you.

I agree with all of the above posts - I have found ginger, in any form, to be very helpful for a funky tummy, regardless of cause. I now carry ginger candy with me everywhere - purely for medicinal purposes, but it tastes great too!

That said, Bonine also works well, and I don't think it's one of those OTC drugs that's really "bad" for you. If you start taking it the night before embarkation, and keep it up until you have your "sea legs," you're unlikely to experience any problems on large, modern ship unless the conditions are very unusual.

I suggest that you watch mythbusters.

I have sailed a lot. Bare boat and blue water certified.

Been in cat 5's at the time, considered that it might be the last time I sailed.

Get sick only when its bad and I use transderm scope exclusively 24 hrs before a "bad sail".

Cruise ships bother me none.

Ginger helps an unsettled stomach. Regardless of reason. It will not help the inner ear.

IMO, YMMV, yada yada

Archived