Rooms for Alasaka on Zuiderdam 9/8/07

lovedogs

Hi, my travel agent is holding 3 rooms on the 8th deck 8094,96,98) for our first Alasak trip. I'm taking my 85 y.o. dad and it's his first cruise. It's going to cost almost $11,000 for 6 of us, so I want to be sure our rooms are in a decent location if possible. I've heard that these rooms may not be best, as they're under the lido deck. Any suggestions? Also, I'm curious as to how people have gotten to Van Couver? Transfer from Seattle or flown directly into Vancouver? Thanks.

Linzy1954

Saphire Princess - Nov 05 Mex Riviera

Oosterdam - Oct 06 Mex Riviera

Westerdam - Feb 07 - Eastern Carribean

Hi, my travel agent is holding 3 rooms on the 8th deck 8094,96,98) for our first Alasak trip. I'm taking my 85 y.o. dad and it's his first cruise. It's going to cost almost $11,000 for 6 of us, so I want to be sure our rooms are in a decent location if possible. I've heard that these rooms may not be best, as they're under the lido deck. Any suggestions? Also, I'm curious as to how people have gotten to Van Couver? Transfer from Seattle or flown directly into Vancouver? Thanks.

Some people don't like those rooms under the buffet. You are also close to the elevators. Personally I don't have any problem, but you might get some noise early in the morning or late at night, and maybe from the elevators. It depends on how sensitive you are.

The easiest way to Vancouver is the ship's transfer from Seattle. We have tried other ways, and frankly they don't work as well as the smooth transfer.

You will love Zuiderdam to Alaska. Check out our report and pics at

Zuiderdam to Alaska 2006. My Dear Aunt Ruth at 93 had a wonderful time!

Have a GREAT cruise!

We were on the Noordam, sister ship to the Zuiderdam, in cabin 8073 directly below the Lido that is carpeted. There was slight noises from tables and chairs moving and people walking but nothing that I can say really disturbed us or woke us up. Really a non-issue. On a Princess ship we were on a couple of years ago we were right under the pool area and that was much noisier when you had just the wood deck and lounge chairs being set out early in the morning and I wouldn't choose that cabin again.

I agree that flying in is very easy to the Vancouver airport and getting the transfer.

However, if you have time, the Amtrak Cascades train from Seattle to downtown Vancouver is a delight. I left Seattle about 8am and arrived at noon, after passing some of the most beautiful scenery. The train goes right along the ocean for most of the way. Breakfast in the dining car was great, and this train is a very new version -- not the Amtrak you are used to. It was a great way to start the cruise. Easy cab ride from the Vancouver train station to Canada Place to start the cruise.

I've sailed out of Vancouver numerous times and always fly directly there. It's a beautiful, friendly city with some great hotels and restaurants.

I wouldn't want to try to manuver 6 people---including an 85 year old!---and all that luggage, from Seattle. Why exhaust yourselves before you even have muster drill?

I've sailed out of Vancouver numerous times and always fly directly there. It's a beautiful, friendly city with some great hotels and restaurants.

I wouldn't want to try to manuver 6 people---including an 85 year old!---and all that luggage, from Seattle. Why exhaust yourselves before you even have muster drill?

Amen!

Ah, but where do you live, Ruth? Is it cheap and easy to get to Vancouver from your home airport? Many times it is not.

Seattle is a major airport with lots of inexpensive flights from lots of places. Vancouver is a small airport, and the flights are frequently a lot more expensive, and also a lot more trouble. Some places can take two plane changes and hours of waiting time to get to Vancouver.

If you are close to an airport that has convenient and affordable flights to Vancouver -- then of course fly directly in. But if you find that the scheduling and convenience is going to be impossible or prohibitively expensive, then Seattle is a viable alternative. Getting six people and their bags onto a bus or train is no more difficult than getting them all around a strange airport (especially one like Houston) and onto another plane.

Here is another instance when a good full service local travel agent on your side is a big asset!

Ah, but where do you live, Ruth? Is it cheap and easy to get to Vancouver from your home airport? Many times it is not.

:confused: I live in Rhode Island---as it shows on my reply template. It requires at least one plane change to get from home to Vancouver. I do it in Chicago---not the easiest of places to change planes. I've also seen it done through Toronto, but I've never tried that routing.

I've also taken a bus to Boston the night before, stayed at the airport hotel, and flown non-stop to Vancouver.

None of these choices is cheap.

Getting six people and their bags onto a bus or train is no more difficult than getting them all around a strange airport (especially one like Houston) and onto another plane.

Don't know what Houston has to do with it, but I've been through Intercontinental and Hobby. Neither one is any fun to get around! :eek: (Or out of.:rolleyes: Those highways are terrible!)

Archived