Seward--With or Without a Car?!

Minnesota Rookie

Wondering from those who have debarked in Seward: can we stay a couple days in Seward without a car and get around enough to do a few things--the Kenai Fjords cruise for sure, and whatever else is to be done in Seward? The plan would be to get off the ship in Seward, spend a few days there and then take the bus/train up to Anchorage to rent a car and go north from there? We are trying to avoid going all the way to Anchorage to rent a car, and then turning around and driving right back down to Kenai Fjords, but the question always is whether one can get around without the car. We wouldn't want to rent a car in Seward because of the price. Any advice from experienced travelers? Thanks!

Why don't rent a car in Seward for a couple days, and then return it in Seward to avoid the drop charge? You can then take the scenic train to Anchorage, grab another car, and proceed from there ....

I have the same problem, but reversed. My ship is coming into Whittier, and we're having to go into Anchorage to get a car for our driving trip to avoid the expensive rental fee's and Avis drop policies.

I am one who likes a car in Seward. As already suggested- rent a round trip Hertz car, if your plans require it. 3 days is a long time- so I suggest you do your homework and decide WHAT you are looking at doing??? If your chosen activities are better with a car due to time/distance etc, then rent one. If you are going to be happy with cabs, the downtown area, then you won't need one. Factor in where you are staying and meals.

Yes, you can stay a few days in Seward without a car. Seward is very small with 2 main areas to stay...small boat harbor and downtown, but lots more lodging out of town too, depending on what your looking for. The cruise ship terminal to small boat harbor is less than a mile and downtown is 2 miles from ship/train depot. Taxis are cheap, $5 around town and most are mini-vans so they can accomodate people with lots of luggage. Some hotels will shuttle to/from ship/train. Some excursions have free shuttles such as Iditaride.

We actually did stay in Seward for four days without a car, and I would do the same again. I couldn't justify the hundreds of dollars without a guaranteed whale sighting! (LOL). Just kidding -- we stayed at the Holiday Inn on the harbor for two days. (There was a computer glitch and because I booked so early in October for the following June, they still had winter prices of $79/night that they honored.) There were several B&Bs that we passed just walking around town that looked pretty nice.

We went to Exit glacier, http://www.exitglacierguides.com/

took the Kenai fjords long trip using the Toursaver coupon (2 for 1), and walked downtown to the Sealife Center.

The next two days we stayed at the Saltwater Lodge outside of town. I can't remember if the cab to town from there was $5 or $10, but no where near what the rental cars were -- about $100/day. I think if I didn't have a car, I would stick to the harbor or downtown areas, as even five miles out of town puts you in the middle of nowhere -- absolutely gorgeous scenery, though.

The train from Seward to Anchorage was wonderful, and I think that was a better choice than driving, too.

Good luck.

We we spent two wonderful days in Seward. We loved the River Valley Cabins out by Exit Glacier. We had a rental for part of the time (my daughter worked/lived in Anchorage) and it was easier with a car, however do-able w/o the car. Either out by Exit Glacier or on the other side of town on the water (Saltwater lodge) are great choices. Taxi's are quite reasonable in Seward. We simply called PJ's Taxi and had great service and by the way, Renee is a great tour guide as well! I will say though, next time if we don't have a car we would stay closer to town, but either way...make sure to discover Seward...simply a highlight of our stay in Alaska!

We are renting car in Anchorage and then touring up to Denali, etc. Thinking of dropping off car in Seward for 2 night stay there. It would be less expensive dropping car off in Anchorage but we would then have to take train to Seward and would not have a car there or rent another one there. Since there are 4 of us thought dropping off in Seward might be best choice???

Anyone know which rental car agency gives the best deal?

We are renting car in Anchorage and then touring up to Denali, etc. Thinking of dropping off car in Seward for 2 night stay there. It would be less expensive dropping car off in Anchorage but we would then have to take train to Seward and would not have a car there or rent another one there. Since there are 4 of us thought dropping off in Seward might be best choice???

Anyone know which rental car agency gives the best deal?

If you want to drop-off the rental car in Seward, you'll have to rent from Hertz.

Archived