Review of the Majesty - Boston to Bermuda

Cubechick

[quote name='Iamthesea']BTW - I have been on the RCCL board about this cruise and they say that Kings Wharf is best.[/quote]
I think Kings Wharf would probably be sufficient for the day with a few restaurants, shopping, and I think a snorkel park is near there?:confused: But in the evenings, and you are docked there overnight, I heard it basically shuts down and nothing is open. And when the buses and ferry's stop, your only way of getting back if you spend the evening elsewhere is by costly taxi.

[quote name='Iamthesea']My DH will make the final decision and I think he will choose RCCL because of the balcony, plus the size of stateroom and ship.[/quote]
Bermuda is the purpose and no matter how you get there it's worth going!!:p Just pre-plan well, know what you want to do and how you'll get around (especially if you're at Kings Wharf) and you'll have a great time regardless how you get there. Also wanted to say that I keep reading the Dawn will be doing the Bermuda trip in 2008 and talk about Suite's! She has some great one's and of course balcony's. You may just want to wait and splurge then.:D That's a great ship and hubby would be happy with all the bells and whistles. Celebrity is also doing a new one with their Journey (I think that's the name), but I checked and its a little pricey.

[quote name='Iamthesea']There is also a 7 day on the Explorer that goes to Boston, so that could be a neat stop.[/quote]
I enjoyed Boston, and to me a 7 day is always better than 5 or 6!

You said you saw the CC cabin, was that on Alisa Allan's picture site? After I gave you the link I checked and that was the cabin. But wanted to see if you looked at the Bermuda pictures from there, I think they're absolutey gorgeous! Some must have been with a wide angle or something, because my pictures never turn out like that!:(

Keep us posted, now I just want to make sure you GET to Bermuda!

If the Dawn were to take over in 2008 from the Majesty and do the Boston to Bermuda cruise would the Dawn be able to dock in St. George? I did the Bermuda cruise on the Majesty and really liked St. George.:)

[quote name='bob c']If the Dawn were to take over in 2008 from the Majesty and do the Boston to Bermuda cruise would the Dawn be able to dock in St. George? I did the Bermuda cruise on the Majesty and really liked St. George.:)[/quote]
Unfortunately, as Welove2cruise posted, it won't be able to. I'm not even sure which ship, if any, from the other lines will now be docking in St. George as it has to be a small ship to get through the cut. I will be doing some reasearch to find out though and I hope that if NCL doesn't (can't see they have any other ships to fit there), at least another line will. Celebrity with their new small ship?:confused: But again, that was a bit pricey.

I too love St. George and wouldn't even need to go to Hamilton or anywhere else. Maybe Princess? I think they just acquired a smaller ship also.:rolleyes:

[quote name='bob c']Thanks for the info "we love to cruise" It won't stop me from going to Bermuda, but I will miss docking in St. George. I'm not that fond of the Dockyard. By the way, how is the Dawn?:)[/quote]

I'm curious about the Dawn as well. Although to be honest...losing out on being able to dock at St. George may have me :eek: looking into flying! :eek:

I'm really not thrilled with the Dockyard at all!

:)

[QUOTE]I think Kings Wharf would probably be sufficient for the day with a few restaurants, shopping, and I think a snorkel park is near there? But in the evenings, and you are docked there overnight, I heard it basically shuts down and nothing is open. And when the buses and ferry's stop, your only way of getting back if you spend the evening elsewhere is by costly taxi.[/QUOTE]

[COLOR=red]Very good point! I have not done enough research to know about all the transportation means. I know we are docked over night. The question is...can we stay up late enough after dinner to do anything! :D [/COLOR]

[QUOTE]Bermuda is the purpose and no matter how you get there it's worth going!! Just pre-plan well, know what you want to do and how you'll get around (especially if you're at Kings Wharf) and you'll have a great time regardless how you get there. Also wanted to say that I keep reading the Dawn will be doing the Bermuda trip in 2008 and talk about Suite's! She has some great one's and of course balcony's. You may just want to wait and splurge then. That's a great ship and hubby would be happy with all the bells and whistles. Celebrity is also doing a new one with their Journey (I think that's the name), but I checked and its a little pricey.[/QUOTE]

[COLOR=red]The Dawn would be nice if we had the luxury of waiting. We would be taking this cruise for my father. He has always wanted to go to Bermuda and has never gotten around to it. We just returned from another cruise with my parents and my father seems to be going down hill fast.:( He loves to travel, so I am working on DH to take this cruise in the fall. Give my father something to look forward to.[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#ff0000][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#ff0000]I looked into the Journey cruise. It is a little more pricey and we love Celebrity.[/COLOR]

[QUOTE]

I enjoyed Boston, and to me a 7 day is always better than 5 or 6!
[/QUOTE]

[COLOR=red]DH has been wanting me to see Boston since we married 27 years ago.[/COLOR]
[QUOTE]

You said you saw the CC cabin, was that on Alisa Allan's picture site? After I gave you the link I checked and that was the cabin. But wanted to see if you looked at the Bermuda pictures from there, I think they're absolutey gorgeous! Some must have been with a wide angle or something, because my pictures never turn out like that!
[/QUOTE]

[COLOR=red]Yes, it was on her site and I did see all the wonderful pictures. I also looked at pictures from Kings Wharf on another site. Those were great views, as well![/COLOR]

[QUOTE]
Keep us posted, now I just want to make sure you GET to Bermuda!
[/QUOTE]
[COLOR=red]Decisions, decisions! :confused: [/COLOR]

Hi, I'm new to this board, but not cruising. We are going back to Bermuda on the Majesty on 6/17 - it is so good to read the positive comments - there are a lot of negatives about her out there. We had a great time in May of 2005 (even with rough seas and seasickness) and are all looking forward to going again. We had such a great time, we started planning our return before we even left Bermuda. We also convinced another couple to join us this time around.

I agree with you all that St. George is gorgeous. And thanks for the info on what ship may be replacing the Majesty. It will be a shame if they can't find a way to dock in St. George.

[quote name='Mainelybubba']It will be a shame if they can't find a way to dock in St. George.[/quote]
As much as I love NCL, for a Bermuda trip, I may have to book another line if I can find one that will be docking in St. George. I have to think that someone will, can't just let the dock sit there empty.:(

Welcome to the boards!:)

[quote name='Cubechick']I'm curious about the Dawn as well. Although to be honest...losing out on being able to dock at St. George may have me :eek: looking into flying! :eek:

I'm really not thrilled with the Dockyard at all!

:)[/QUOTE]

The Dawn is a beautiful ship and has a great crew -- but the crew on the Majesty is head and shoulders above them ;) . I'm actually hoping that the price for the Boston to Bermuda run will go down based on the larger number of cabins available on the Dawn. The Majesty is so ridiculously expensive, given the age and condition of the ship. Don't get me wrong -- I LOVE the Majesty -- but we only paid $100 more for our 10 night Dawn cruise than we're paying for our 7 night Majesty cruise in July!!:eek: I can't wait to see how things shake out.

Even though I know that the Bermuda run is more costly, I think it's a tad high, also.

[QUOTE]We had a great time in May of 2005 (even with rough seas and seasickness)[/QUOTE]This may be another reason DH picks a larger ship. He gets sea sick easily and has to take the meclizine and ginger, while I don't need it too often.

DH is still in a bad mood, so I haven't mentioned the cruise to him yet.

I have a friend who lives in Charleston. She called me on Thursday and wants our old supper club group to get together for a reunion. We use to go out to eat once a month and then take a trip every year. My friend and her DH were the first to move away, then another couple moved, and then DH and I moved away. We got together twice for our yearly trips, and that's been it!

Anyway, I suggested a cruise to her! ;)

Hey, Iamthesea,
Sorry I'm coming late to the discussion but for what it is worth the smaller Majesty may not have balconies but it has so much more. We've been on larger ships complete with rock walls, ice rinks, malls that run down the middle of the ship, etc. The Majesty is like home. No, there isn't a balcony but we've been in the AB suites and being able to curl up on the sofa or one of the chairs and view the passing world from your bay window has a lot to recommend it too. The bay window is floor to ceiling plus a bedroom window. We love the old world marble bathroom complete with deep marble tub and silver fixtures and nice things like glass and silver container with cotton balls... I know that's no big deal but it is like sailing used to be. And like someone else said you do have champagne when you get in your door and appetizers delivered every day. We've sailed out of New York and out of several Florida ports but there is nothing like driving into the garage, paying your $80. for the week, crossing the street and the cobblestone walkway/path and going right into the line for the Majesty. If you walk really quickly it can take less than 30 minutes to go from garage to shipboard. We go each year with another couple of couples - usually one of the last weeks in September. We've only had to outrun a hurricane once and even then we had a few days in Bermuda before the Majesty (and every other ship on the island) had to hit the road - it looked like a conga line going through the cut. Hope you can convince your hubby to give the Majesty a chance. :cool:margretha

Thanks! I will certainly pass this on when I get the chance.

DH has had a cold, almost since our last cruise. He is not any better and is on antibiotics. He says he gets sick every time we come back from a cruise. Of course, he is in a bad mood, so I dare not come right out and ask if we can cruise again. I've done lot's of hinting, though. :D

Archived