First cruise... im so confused about excursions

8mpg

Well, my girlfriend and I will be sailing out of Seattle on the Golden Princess.. Our itinerary is the following:

5/12 Leave Seattle

5/13 At sea

5/14 Juneau 12p-10p Capt Larry/Orca whale watch

5/15 Skagway 6a-8:15p Horse Ride and Hike/raft

5/16 Tracy Arm 8a-1p

5/17 Ketchikan 6a-12:30p

5/18 Victoria 7p-12a walk around and eat

5/19 Seattle

We are definately on a budget so Im trying to get independent companies and book our excursions before we leave. The one thing we might splurge on is the helicopter/dog camp. Its very pricy, so we might not do that, but rather go for a plane tour.

What we would like to do is:

Hiking

Kayaking

Heli/Dog Camp

Horseback riding

Whale watching

From what I see, hiking and horseback riding are supposed to be great in Skagway. We are going to try and reserve a spot with Captain Larry at Orca for a whale watching trip in Juneau. I think thats about all we will do in Juneau other than some walking and shopping.

I would like to do glacier kayaking over the lake kayaking but am unsure where to do it. Im thinking a train/bus tour in Ketchikan since we will be there in the morning till noon.

Any suggestions?

go to

www.traveljuneau.com

great information. mendenhall glacier is easy to get to, in fact you could be dropped off there after whale watching. hiking around on trails with views of the glacier.

http://www.visit-ketchikan.com/

great stuff, has totem poles to check out.

http://www.skagway.com/

more good stuff.

the train you talked about is in skagway, not ketchikan.

http://www.whitepassrailroad.com/

you can find links to some of the vendors on these pages.

do a search on these boards for "mendenhall glacier" you will get all kinds of good information about hiking and shuttles.

I would suggest you might want to consider a glacier flight, with a glacier helicopter landing in the $200pp range. Going as early as you are is NOT going to have any glacier viewing from your ship. You are not likely to get the full 60 mile round trip transit of Tracy Arm, where the glaciers are at the end. You need after the first week of June for a better chance.

There are many hiking opportunities for free in Alaska. Where do you have the most time??? Juneau has Mt. Roberts, Mendenhall Glacier area, Ketchikan Deer Mt, Skagway Lower/Upper Dewey Lake.

I would suggest you might want to consider a glacier flight, with a glacier helicopter landing in the $200pp range. Going as early as you are is NOT going to have any glacier viewing from your ship. You are not likely to get the full 60 mile round trip transit of Tracy Arm, where the glaciers are at the end. You need after the first week of June for a better chance.

There are many hiking opportunities for free in Alaska. Where do you have the most time??? Juneau has Mt. Roberts, Mendenhall Glacier area, Ketchikan Deer Mt, Skagway Lower/Upper Dewey Lake.

We are going to have the most time in Skagway...Im definitely considering the helicopter/glacier flight if its $200pp. Any recommendations on a tour? Im thinking in Skagway of renting a car and driving to Emerald Lake, then to the graves and just sorta doing our own thing. We will have a FULL day to drive and navigate ourselves.

I was planning the whale watching tour in Juneau but we will have a good 4-5 hours left over to do something. Mendenhall Glacier sounds fun, what would be the quickest way to get up there?

We are going to have the most time in Skagway...Im definitely considering the helicopter/glacier flight if its $200pp. Any recommendations on a tour? Im thinking in Skagway of renting a car and driving to Emerald Lake, then to the graves and just sorta doing our own thing. We will have a FULL day to drive and navigate ourselves.

I was planning the whale watching tour in Juneau but we will have a good 4-5 hours left over to do something. Mendenhall Glacier sounds fun, what would be the quickest way to get up there?

I would suggest a combo glacier helicopter and whale watch tour cobooked. http://coastalhelicopters.com/t_icefield.htm Orca Enterprises and Coastal Helicopters do this, saving an hour in shuttle time. Then you could perhaps, get a drop off/pick up direct at Mendenhall Glacier. Would take a $6pp shuttle bus ride in the other direction. It depends on timing and what tour schedules are available? But likely doable.

Allow 4-5 hours for the drive to Emerald Lake. Plenty of stops possible along the way. :) Stop at the Park Service visitor center, worthwhile- http://www.nps.gov/archive/klgo/schedule.htm

Well, my girlfriend and I will be sailing out of Seattle on the Golden Princess.. Our itinerary is the following:

5/12 Leave Seattle

5/13 At sea

5/14 Juneau 12p-10p Capt Larry/Orca whale watch

5/15 Skagway 6a-8:15p Horse Ride and Hike/raft

5/16 Tracy Arm 8a-1p

5/17 Ketchikan 6a-12:30p

5/18 Victoria 7p-12a walk around and eat

5/19 Seattle

We are definately on a budget so Im trying to get independent companies and book our excursions before we leave. The one thing we might splurge on is the helicopter/dog camp. Its very pricy, so we might not do that, but rather go for a plane tour.

What we would like to do is:

Hiking

Kayaking

Heli/Dog Camp

Horseback riding

Whale watching

From what I see, hiking and horseback riding are supposed to be great in Skagway. We are going to try and reserve a spot with Captain Larry at Orca for a whale watching trip in Juneau. I think thats about all we will do in Juneau other than some walking and shopping.

I would like to do glacier kayaking over the lake kayaking but am unsure where to do it. Im thinking a train/bus tour in Ketchikan since we will be there in the morning till noon.

Any suggestions?

Hi 8mpg,

With that name, I bet your an SUV owner.:p

If you can a quality kayaking experience, I second NancyIL's soggestion of www.kayakketchikan.com. That is the website for SouthEast Sea Kayaks. We took their Orca Cove Tour this past August. They were great.

If you'd like to get an overall discription of the tour, view my post(#4), under the thread "Timing how to fit it all in." Its about 10 threads down from this one.

Stay well,

Corgiguy

Shuttle bus tickets are sold ($6pp ow in '06) from a small stand just as you exit the dock and begin walking toward town. A nice transfer to/from Mendenhall. However, since you're planning a whale watch excursion, check with that provider to find the best option to work in conjunction with your excursion timing.

Skagway is great for a car-rental venture to the Yukon. Just be aware that as early as you're going, the drive may be quite snowy.:) Lot's of snow last year on our last-week of May sailing.

wow..thanks for the help everyone

BudgetQueen... I appreciate the recommendation. The combo definately sounds like the way to go.

Corgiguy - Southeast seems the way to go... The whole possibility of seeing the Orcas makes it the best option...

sym1966 - Thanks... maybe the rental is a bad idea... Nothing worse than a Texan in the snow :D Unless I have my truck :D

wow..thanks for the help everyone

BudgetQueen... I appreciate the recommendation. The combo definately sounds like the way to go.

Corgiguy - Southeast seems the way to go... The whole possibility of seeing the Orcas makes it the best option...

sym1966 - Thanks... maybe the rental is a bad idea... Nothing worse than a Texan in the snow :D Unless I have my truck :D

8mpg,

I feel the need to clarify something for you.

Southeast is an great outfit and the tour is wonderful, but just because your in Orca Cove, doesn't mean your going to see Orcas. Actually, its highly unlikely your going to see any. Anyway being in a kayak, I don't know if I'd really want Orcas close by to me.:confused:

Question, if the tour was through Dead Man's Gulch, would you have expected to see dead men all around.:eek: Only Kidding!!!

You'll have a great time with Southeast.

Stay well,

Corgiguy

Archived