Bringing Back Liquor from San Juan

Summertimescallingme

Does anyone know the airline regulations regarding carrying on bottles of liquor for a flight from San Jaun back to the USA? We are cruising out of San Juan in a week and are curious if they will let us bring large bottles (unopened of course) on the plane. I can't imagine checking it as I'm sure it would break during flight. :( Thanks.

If you purchase your liquor at SJU inside security, like in the duty-free shops at the airport, you can probably carry the bottles on. Otherwise, they will have to go in checked luggage.

If you have a connecting flight then you will have to transfer carry-on liquor into your checked luggage as you connect in the US.

If you are flying SJU-ATL you are in trouble, as everyone has to go through security again, even if ATL is your final destination, and liquor in carry-on will probably be confiscated.

gary

If you are flying SJU-ATL you are in trouble, as everyone has to go through security again, even if ATL is your final destination, and liquor in carry-on will probably be confiscated.

That's just crazy! BUT, having been to/through ATL one too many times, it makes sense. If it was going to happen anywhere, it would be there. :p

• 2 weeks later...

I found that prices for liquor in San Juan on the most part matched or was actually higher than what I can purchase here at home (between Costco, grocery and liquor stores). The big exception was the duty free shops at the dock prior to boarding. These prices are the best in the Caribbean. I personally only bring home bottles that cannot be purchased stateside....and nearly everything is these days.

FYI--All liquor must be packed in your checked luggage now under current TSA regulations. Bubble wrap, giant ziploc bags and tucked in between clothes, you should be fine. Also if you have a hard sided suitcase, I'd use that before a soft sided one for bringing home my precious bottles!

<snip> The big exception was the duty free shops at the dock prior to boarding. These prices are the best in the Caribbean. <snip>

I would take exception to that statement. I have yet to find prices to rival those in St. Maarten.

gary

Thanks for all the suggestions. We just returned from San Juan and decided to purchase the liquor in the airport after we went through Security. They had special bags they tag and lock, so you can carry it on the airplane. The prices seemed very reasonable, similar to those in the ports. I did see one couple lose their liquor as they went through security, they were told "sorry", but adios to the two boxes (4 bottles) they were carrying. The couple looked truly surprised that they could not bring it through.

Archived