Ugg boots on glaciers???

SakeDad

I have been traveling the US and seem to find winter wherever I go. I was in Denver for the double blizzard in December and spent 3 hours in the snow taking pictures. I was in my UGG boots and NEVER felt cold or wet or lost my footing in the snow or ice. They also served as great hiking boots on the Great Wall of China. So my question is: Will these work just as good on the glaciers?? I'm trying to pack as little as possible but I also don't want to have problems putting any "over-boots" over the Uggs if it's required or needed.

Thanks

I don't know how bulky these are or how much room they take up, but I have never brought boots to Alaska except on my winter trips. :) Helicopter operators have boots if needed, but I've had no problem just going with my walking shoes. IF you are trekking, you will need to consider the operators hiking boots.

I wear UGG's also and thought they were perfect in Alaska. I took my "Women's Classic Short Boots". They are extremely light and very easy to pack and you can wear them anywear (except formal nights!). The wool used on UGG's is genuine sheepskin and is extremely dense (more-so than any synthetic), which provides for a more comfortable and durable material. The fleece breathes, wicks moisture away, and allows air to circulate, keeping feet dry. Sheepskin is naturally water resistant & therefore small amounts of moisture will not seep through or damage it. UGG boots are thermostatic & therefore will keep bare feet cool in temperatures as low as -30F to as high as 80 F (Sheepskin will naturally insulate by keeping the feet warm in the winter & cool in the summer). This is perfect for climates like Alaska. And bonus they look fantastic! I'm taking them again this June. Have fun!

One thing to remember in SE Alaska is that you are far more likely to encounter wet and muddy conditions that cold and snowy conditions. Even the glaciers can be very wet in summer. The people who live in SE Alaska wear rubber boots called Xtratuffs pretty much year round. Running shoes are good because they dry out relatively fast and if they get really muddy, you throw them in the washing machine.

Archived