OK...Alaska w/ HAL...need Excursion help!

SakeDad

I have had some very good advice from many of you here already without you even knowing it so THANKS!!

I am taking my 69 year old mom (healthy but not a fast walker or excerciser) to Alaska on the Noordam in May. We go to Seattle (taken care of)/Glacier Bay (I think we stay onboard here so no decisions to make:p )/Juneau (see below)/Sitka (see below)/Ketchikan (see below)/Victoria (see below).

First, let me say my mom doesn't like salmon so anything with a salmon bake is out! Hope she can find something else to eat there:rolleyes:

OK...Seattle I've been to many times so I'm showing mom around on my own a day before departure here. My big questions are: in Juneau she has a friend that told her about the Mendenhall and the Botanical Gardens. I really want to do a helicopter trip and leaning toward the Four Glacier one as I'm an avid photographer. Also, are the photography excursions worth it vs other excursions where you would take pictures? We have no interest in any of the fishing, sport or adventure trips except the mild hiking on the glaciers.

Which whale excursion seems best? Juneau or Victoria? In Juneau there's an evening one, a wildlife+whale and a Mendenhall+whale, all about the same cost. Any suggestions? The Victoria one is evening Orca. Good?

Also, totally open for Sitka....any suggestions there?

Are any of the ports better to just walk around and explore on your own?

Sorry to ask so many questions at once but now that I have at least narrowed it down a bit I'm hoping for a bit of expert help to make final plans.

Oh, mom also expressed concern of the noise of the helicopter. I was on one in Bora Bora and don't remember it being extremely loud as we had headsets...same case here?

Thanks again!:)

I would do independent tours rather than those through the ship.

Captain Larry in Juneau is wonderful. Here is a link.

http://www.orcaenterprises.com/

In Victoria, consider Butchart Gardens.http://www.butchartgardens.com/main.php

Sitka is a great town just for walking around. There is also a bus. We went to Totem National Park--flat wide hiking paths. We also went to the Raptor Centor and shopping in town.

It depends what your whale priority is?? Out of Juneau it will be humpbacks, out of Victoria will be orcas.

All of Alaska is photographer's paradise. Determine if the photo tours offer you areas you want?? I wouldn't consider them, if you have other interests in tours. With your desire to do a glacier helicopter landing DO SO, this is a top tour choice in my opinion. Really showing the beauty and vastness of Alaska. :) If you want to do a whale watch, I suggest you consider a cobooking with the helicopter trip out of Juneau- saves an hour in shuttle time.

With your photography priority, I suggest an independent boat tour out of Sitka. These trips have the potential for varied wildlife, which most people enjoy seeing.

All ports are "walking" areas, but do your homework in advance with looking at walking tour maps, and port attractions you want to see. Don't waste time, figuring out what you want to do once you are in port.

Archived