Saxman Village or Totem Bight???

KCfan

Thanks for sharing your photos!

Was Davidson Glacier out of Skagway part of a tour or did you see it from the ship? Thanks

Glad you liked the pictures! We sure enjoy taking them.

We saw Davidson Glacier from the ship. I think we got lucky, however. We were there the week of 6/6, so we had extended daylight hours. When we went again 3 years later the week of 5/19, it was too dark to get good photos when we sailed by. I don't remember for sure what time we left Skagway both trips, so that could also have had some affect on our ability to see Davidson Glacier.

I can't comment on Saxman Village as we opted to go to Totem Bight instead. I will say that the setting at Totem Bight park is absolutely gorgeous. In addition to the totems, there are trails that you can walk that take you down to the shore and it is stunning. I liked that we could see the totems, but also take in some of the magnificent natural scenery.

Glad you liked the pictures! We sure enjoy taking them.

We saw Davidson Glacier from the ship. I think we got lucky, however. We were there the week of 6/6, so we had extended daylight hours. When we went again 3 years later the week of 5/19, it was too dark to get good photos when we sailed by. I don't remember for sure what time we left Skagway both trips, so that could also have had some affect on our ability to see Davidson Glacier.

One more question. Did the captain make an announcement that you were approaching a view of the glacier? Or was it just dumb luck that you were standing there with your camera? ha

One more question. Did the captain make an announcement that you were approaching a view of the glacier? Or was it just dumb luck that you were standing there with your camera? ha

Just dumb luck! We were on the NCL Sun and were upstairs in the observation lounge listening to the karaoke singers. I noticed that the sun was setting over the mountains and went back to the balcony to get pictures of the sunset. It just so happened that Davidson Glacier slid into view just as the sun was almost over the down -- with Eldred Lighthouse close by.

When I got back, I posted the photos to try and get help identifying them, as I had no idea what the names of the lighthouse or glacier were. Yukon was kind enough to identify them for me :) . When we left Skagway the second time, I bypassed the show in hopes that I'd get to see them again, but by the time we were in the vicinity it was too dark for photos.

Just dumb luck! We were on the NCL Sun and were upstairs in the observation lounge listening to the karaoke singers. I noticed that the sun was setting over the mountains and went back to the balcony to get pictures of the sunset. It just so happened that Davidson Glacier slid into view just as the sun was almost over the down -- with Eldred Lighthouse close by. When we left Skagway the second time, I bypassed the show in hopes that I'd get to see them again, but by the time we were in the vicinity it was too dark for photos.

Thanks. What do you mean the SECOND time you left Skagway? On a different cruise? Was it port or starboard when you saw it as you were leaving? I sure wouldn't want to miss it!

I know all those things like time of sunset change with the time of year. We will be sailing out of Skagway Sept 4th at 9 p.m. so we might miss it, too. but just in case I'd like to be on the correct side of the ship!

I wonder if it's visible coming into Skagway. We arrive there at 7 a.m. I realize it would be on the opposite side of the ship then.

Thanks. What do you mean the SECOND time you left Skagway? On a different cruise? Was it port or starboard when you saw it as you were leaving? I sure wouldn't want to miss it!

I know all those things like time of sunset change with the time of year. We will be sailing out of Skagway Sept 4th at 9 p.m. so we might miss it, too. but just in case I'd like to be on the correct side of the ship!

I wonder if it's visible coming into Skagway. We arrive there at 7 a.m. I realize it would be on the opposite side of the ship then.

The second time was on a different cruise. We were on the NCL Sun in June, 2004 and on the NCL Pearl in May, 2007. It was on the Starboard side of the ship leaving Skagway. I'm pretty sure, however, that if you aren't leaving Skagway until 9 PM in September that it will be dark before you get there. The sun sets quite a bit earlier in September than it does the middle of May, and it was too dark for us in May.

You might, however, be able to catch a glimpse of it heading into Skagway. If you're taking along one of the Alaska maps, you might be able to determine exactly how far it is from Skagway and figure out what time you could start watching for it.

What excursion are you doing in Skagway? I know there is a Glacier Point safari (or something similar) that NCL does that goes out to Davidson Glacier via catamaran and canoe. I'm planning on doing that one next time we get to Skagway. So much for our "once in a lifetime" Alaskan cruise :D .

Last time I was in Alaska in 2005 we went by van to the Yukon and rode the dog drawn carts in Caribou Crossing. My daughter is going with me this time and she watched movies on youtube of the railroad transit up the mountain and refuses to do it! She's worried about a kayak or canoe, too, so so far we are going to walk the self walking tour and maybe go out to a waterfall near the airport, no biggie. But I'll check the excursion page. Thanks for the suggestion.

Does anyone know where you can catch the public bus to go to Saxman or Totem Bight and how frequently it runs? Sun gets into Ketchikan at 6 a.m.! The tours start from the ship at 6:30 and I can't fathom doing a tour at that hour.

I don't know if I'm going to be able to get my DH to go with me on the Glacier Point Safari or not. He doesn't swim, and I'm not sure if he's going to like the idea of canoes either. These ones are larger ones, with a guide, so I'm hoping he'll be OK with the idea. The reviews I've read sound great!

Archived