Saxman Village or Totem Bight???

KCfan

Sorry, really can help at this time. We did Totem Bight in July 05 and are scheduled to do Saxman this coming May. I would suspect that each are unique unto themselves. We thoughly enjoyed walking through Totem Bight and the Long House.

I haven't been to either yet but I am opting for Totem Bight when I go in June as I believe it has a more scenic location. I believe they both have totems-Saxman may provide a better opportunity to watch actual carving. I guess we will have to wait for the experienced cruisers to weigh in.

One other thing to consider is renting a car. You might find you then have time to do both and if there are 2 or more of you traveling it will be cheaper.

We will be renting a car in Ketchican to explore the scenery outside of town, will definitely plan on Totem Bight and if we have time left over may do Saxman as well. Will play it by ear.

Ruth

I chose Saxman Village as it isn't just the Totem Park, it is an actual village with native Americans living there. There is a ceremonial house here too. Also a carving shed. When we were there, there was a Native American actually carving. Our guide gave us a lecture of the tools used, and a tour through the Rain Forest with explanations, and a stop at the Co-op where they sell hand made items. We then departed back to town for a quick little tour of Ketchikan. This was in '99 and the cost was only $15 right at the pier.

It was awesome!

I've been to Totem Bight once and Saxman three times. I enjoyed both of them, but I would choose Saxman if you can only do one. Our first to times in Ketchikan we took a tour with Rainbird which we booked on the pier. The last trip (when we went to both Saxman and Totem Bight) we rented car which is a good option, especially if you've gone before.

Jerry

I too have been to both. Saxman requires a tour in my opinion. So much of the visit is enhanced by commentary. Otherwise you are just going to be viewing totems, which you can do easily without going to Saxman.

Totem Bight is very woodsy. Without a guide- you again are just going to be walking by the totems. Read up on this area before you go. It's a state park- http://www.alaskanha.org/totem-bight-state-historical-park.htm

With a car, I would definately recommend the Ward Lake area for a stop and hiking. You can also make a stop at Walmart- they have a very extensive souvenier section with great prices.

Sorry, really can help at this time. We did Totem Bight in July 05 and are scheduled to do Saxman this coming May. I would suspect that each are unique unto themselves. We thoughly enjoyed walking through Totem Bight and the Long House.

We arent going until June 9th.

You will have to let me know all about it when you return. :)

I too have been to both. Saxman requires a tour in my opinion. So much of the visit is enhanced by commentary. Otherwise you are just going to be viewing totems, which you can do easily without going to Saxman.

Totem Bight is very woodsy. Without a guide- you again are just going to be walking by the totems. Read up on this area before you go. It's a state park- http://www.alaskanha.org/totem-bight-state-historical-park.htm

With a car, I would definately recommend the Ward Lake area for a stop and hiking. You can also make a stop at Walmart- they have a very extensive souvenier section with great prices.

Thanks BQ !

Wally world is my home away from home. Is it easy to find??

Can you get to that Walmart without a car? Are similar items available at other AK Walmarts?

They do run a van from the dock. But it is very popular with the crew. :)

There are no other Walmart's on the Inside Passage- unless the Juneau one finally opened up???

Yes they are similar with their stock. I've shopped at the Anchorage, Wasilla, Fairbanks Walmarts. At least they all have my candy bars I'm obligated to bring back by the pounds. :)

I've been to Totem Bight once and Saxman three times. I enjoyed both of them, but I would choose Saxman if you can only do one. Our first to times in Ketchikan we took a tour with Rainbird which we booked on the pier. The last trip (when we went to both Saxman and Totem Bight) we rented car which is a good option, especially if you've gone before.

Jerry

What can you tell me about Rainbird tour costs vs. car rental costs? We will be there in late May and have no intention of purchasing excursions through the ship since we'll be on a limited budget and like to explore on our own anyway. Thanks for any info you or others can give me. Judy (Hikerchick)

What can you tell me about Rainbird tour costs vs. car rental costs? We will be there in late May and have no intention of purchasing excursions through the ship since we'll be on a limited budget and like to explore on our own anyway. Thanks for any info you or others can give me. Judy (Hikerchick)

The Rainbird tours were fairly economical. I think they ran about $30-35 per person for several hours of touring. They use local residents as driver/tour guides. We actually had the same tour guide both times and each time she was filling in at the last minute for someone else. She had lived in Ketchikan for many years and seemed to be well known by many of the locals. If it's your first time to Ketchikan I would definitely do a tour.

The car we rented was through Alaska Car Rental. They picked us up at the pier and drove us to their office. We were able to leave the car at the pier at the end of the day. You can check out their prices and reserve a car at http://www.akcarrental.com. We rented a small car since their were only two of us and it was about $50 a couple of years ago. We drove north to Ward Lake and Totem Bight, south to Herring Bay and Saxman and all over Ketchikan and probably spent less than $10 for gas for the day.

Jerry

:D I GOTTA ask!! What kind of candy bar is so fantastic that you have to bring it clear back from AK?

Alaska Jacks and Chocolate Moose Chocolate. Beautiful art work on the wrapper, good chocolate, and a CHEAP souvenier that EVERYONE now expects. :) :) :)

I also pick up a few boxes of Alaska Wildberry Chocolates, discounted at Walmart. :)

Does anyone know the entrance fees for Saxman and Totem Bight? I'm thinking of renting a car and doing them on my own.

I didn't go last year, but no fees prior. But my opinion only, you need a guide at Saxman. You will get little out of just looking at the totems. The commentary is well worth it. In the past you could arrange for a guide at the gift shop. Verify if this is still an option? You can probably get the information also from the friendly visitor center staff.

http://www.visit-ketchikan.com

• 1 month later...
I didn't go last year, but no fees prior. But my opinion only, you need a guide at Saxman. You will get little out of just looking at the totems. The commentary is well worth it. In the past you could arrange for a guide at the gift shop. Verify if this is still an option? You can probably get the information also from the friendly visitor center staff.

www.visit-ketchikan.com

How, without renting a car, can you get to saxman from the cruise dock? can you walk?taxi?

and same w/ walmart...can you taxi to it?

are there taxis?

i'm trying to do saxman w/out doing a tour from the cruiseline,but i trust your opinion that you need a commentary.....

thanks in advance for your reply..........:)

How, without renting a car, can you get to saxman from the cruise dock? can you walk?taxi?

and same w/ walmart...can you taxi to it?

are there taxis?

i'm trying to do saxman w/out doing a tour from the cruiseline,but i trust your opinion that you need a commentary.....

thanks in advance for your reply..........:)

As I mentioned, my opinion only, you get very little at Saxman without a guide, I recommend a tour so to get the worthwhile commentary and stories. There will be several tour operators right outside the dock visitor center. People do walk there, 2 level miles each way. Cabs would be cheap.

As for Walmart, you can take the city bus, pick up near the library. They also run a comp van that come up to the dock. But you are in competition with ship crew, who can outrun everyone. :)

We did a combo tour that included both totem parks 3 years ago. Between the two of them, I preferred Totem Bight. It's in a much prettier setting. I may not be remembering correctly, but I think part of the advantage to booking through the cruiseline for Saxman is that you get to go inside the carving shed and see the dancers perform. As an independent tour, we looked through the windows and watched the carvers, but we weren't allowed to go inside, and we didn't get to see the native dancers perform.

At Totem Bight, we did get to tour the clan house and listen to the story about the clan house. Our tour guide did a wonderful job pointing out the different totem poles and telling us about the stories they depicted. I agree with BQ that it wouldn't be as meaningful without a tour guide.

• 1 year later...
We did a combo tour that included both totem parks 3 years ago. Between the two of them, I preferred Totem Bight. .

Thanks for sharing your photos!

Was Davidson Glacier out of Skagway part of a tour or did you see it from the ship? Thanks

There are no other Walmart's on the Inside Passage- unless the Juneau one finally opened up???

Yes, the Juneau Walmart is open. We were in Juneau two weeks ago on the NCL Star. We saw it on the outskirts of town on the way to Mendenhall.

Archived