what happens when respondng to spammed thread?

jseaya

I'm not clear what you mean when you say a sender claimed to have spammed this website. :confused:

I did see a thread a couple of weeks ago when the OP was asking for help getting money from a bank account in Canada. For your help she was going to give you part of the many millions. :rolleyes:

There were no replies. I reported it and the thread disappeared.

Is this the kind of thing you're talking about?

YES RUTH IT WAS A COUPLE OF WEEKS AGO WHERE SOMEONE CLAIMED THEY "SPAMMED " OUR SITE. THEY HAD MANY POSTS IN A ROW. I WAS WONDERING IF I REPLIED OR OPENENED ONE OF THEIR POSTS WOULD THAT IN EFFECT COMPROMISE MY COMPUTER. seaya

I WAS WONDERING IF I REPLIED OR OPENENED ONE OF THEIR POSTS WOULD THAT IN EFFECT COMPROMISE MY COMPUTER. seaya

If you have setup your email account(s) to receive emails in text only format. You will not get compromised. Usually 419 spam do not have any links in them. I do not let any of my email accounts accept HTML email. The JS in the email could do nasty stuff. Read them if you want, Just don't reply to those emails. Some people do and have great fun with them though.

Check out this forum at dslreports.com that deals with scams, spam and other mayham: http://www.dslreports.com/forum/scambusters

As I recall the OP was apologizing for opening several threads with the same title. I think they'd gotten caught up in the "white screen of death" problem and didn't know if their posting was getting through so they kept making it, over and over again for something like 5 or 6 times. I don't believe that just responding to a thread here can compromise your computer. Now, if you follow a link somebody puts in their posting then you're going outside of this site and that's a whole different situation.

Archived