Zuiderdam RSVP 2008

RMS Olympic

Never did that but would do it for sure.........count me in.

Typhoon.....the Grand said they would accept a 3 night ince it would be arrive Wed depart Sat (ship sails the 23rd, Sat). Normally the 4 night min is for Thursdays on....by arriving on wed they accepted a 3 night. Got a room for 180 per night.....all the other non gay hotels were quoting 300 per night on up. This place is close to the beach...so I can walk for hours and take in the sights. Also defrost before getting on the cruise.

Matt.......get the support of hubby on the changes you want to make...maybe not agressive like him, but support helps. Think of him as your athletic supporter. LOL

Me, I have to keep my momentum up to make the changes I want to make...you know us old gals have to work harder. By the way I need to improve for my sake, no one elses.....so do it for you.

So many people cancelling out of the Med trip...hope this doesn't happen for the Feb trip as well.

Shore excursions...are everyone basing these excursions on the current HAL web site info? If so I guess I should look at them as well.....not sure how far in advance you can book them....probably not after final payment is made.

Did someone say Rehobeth? Let me know,I could do that for a weekend for a reunion type gathering...especially if its after the Rome trip. Pinch those pennies already.

Hey Mike & Gary,

We will be going to Rehoboth Memorial Day weekend (May 25-28) and the week of July 4th (June 29-July 7). We've never gone over Labor Day because there is usually a home Penn State game that Saturday and it is about the last weekend to have a pool party and picnic at the house. Each year that weekend they have a drag volleyball game at Poodle Beach (the far south end of Rehoboth Beach) that is supposed to be hilarious. I would recommend staying at The Lighthouse Inn (B&B) on the beach block of Delaware Avenue. Matt & Jerry are the owners, and they were on the RSVP cruise the year before. Also must eat at Dos Locos, owned by Joe & Darryl who were on the cruise this year. There is also North Beach, which is a favorite for lesbians and bears.

Tom,

It would be great if you could come down for a Rehoboth visit. As far as the excursions listed on the HAL website, I was rather disappointed in them (as opposed to the ones on the Princess website for the same ports). I've been reading the cruise critic posts concerning Roatan and Cozumel, and think maybe arranging private tours might be best. The cave tubing excursion in Belize sounded interesting, though. I did read that Belize is one place you should have an excursion planned as opposed to going out on your own. I guess not much to do right at the dock and not as safe. No excursions can be booked until you get your booking number, which this past year was only about 4 weeks before we sailed.

Hi guys, I also went to the RSVP future cruise sails on the Caribbean Princess. According to my notes, here is what they said RSVP was thinking about for later in 2008. The contracts were not signed as of a month ago.

June 3-17. Baltic cruise on a 780-passenger ship, which I think could be the Royal Princess. This cruise will be start and end Amsterdam and consists of two combinable 7-day cruises.

Aug 24. Venice to Barcelona cruise.

Halloween. Mex Riviera cruise.

Thanksgiving 2008. Tahiti on a clipper ship.

I hope they post details soon.

I No excursions can be booked until you get your booking number, which this past year was only about 4 weeks before we sailed.

Hi Guys:

As far as HAL booking numbers go: although my HAL cruises have been through another agency (not RSVP), as soon as he posted my deposit with HAL, he sent an invoice, showing total charges, deposit, etc., and the booking number. I don't know how RSVP does their "books", but I've always had my HAL booking # within days of my deposit.

Excursions through the HAL website can open anywhere from 2 months out to 6 months or more...just depends on HAL!!

Good luck, and smooth sailing!

Paul

I would highly recommend NOT just walking off the ship and doing your own thing in Belize. We were there in October and before we could walk 100 yards, we were bombarded by at least 100 people offering us taxi rides, drugs, jewelry, hair braiding, chicklets and God knows what else in very confrontational, high pressure ways. I'm pretty good at ignoring things like that, but this was totally ridiculous and I felt unsafe, even in a group of 6. We made it about 100 yards before we turned around and went back to the sanctuary of the ship.

There is a small shopping area just off the dock that is secured from the outside if you just want to step off the ship for awhile and pick up a trinklet. Just my 2 cents. :)

Never did that but would do it for sure.........count me in.

Typhoon.....the Grand said they would accept a 3 night ince it would be arrive Wed depart Sat (ship sails the 23rd, Sat). Normally the 4 night min is for Thursdays on....by arriving on wed they accepted a 3 night. Got a room for 180 per night.....all the other non gay hotels were quoting 300 per night on up. This place is close to the beach...so I can walk for hours and take in the sights. Also defrost before getting on the cruise.

Matt.......get the support of hubby on the changes you want to make...maybe not agressive like him, but support helps. Think of him as your athletic supporter. LOL

Me, I have to keep my momentum up to make the changes I want to make...you know us old gals have to work harder. By the way I need to improve for my sake, no one elses.....so do it for you.

So many people cancelling out of the Med trip...hope this doesn't happen for the Feb trip as well.

Shore excursions...are everyone basing these excursions on the current HAL web site info? If so I guess I should look at them as well.....not sure how far in advance you can book them....probably not after final payment is made.

Did someone say Rehobeth? Let me know,I could do that for a weekend for a reunion type gathering...especially if its after the Rome trip. Pinch those pennies already.

Tom: You won't be disappointed with The Grand. It may even lure you away from Pineapple Point. We normally do our pre cruise stay at The Flamingo. Those Beach area hotels are getting pretty pricey with the exception of The Grand.

Hi guys. I got in before the cut off date for the discount. I'm confirmed for Feb/2008. We have a group of 15 or so confirmed again for the Zuiderdam. One of the guy traveling next year is a newbe. When he called to book his cabin, RSVP would not give him the discount because he wasn't a "Previous RSVP Cruiser. I told him to call Dan Howell, and Dan said "No problem" and booked him with the discount. Remember guys to book before 31MAR to get the discount. I'm doing a single cabin and it saved me about $800.00!

I'm glad to read that everyone had a great time on the C.Princess. I know it was a big ship, and a lot of guys said it felt too big, that it didn't have that intimate feeling. I personally like the bigger ships. I'm going to miss next year not having the upper deck around the pool area to lounge during the day and look out over to the parties below at night. I am also going to miss not having the 24hr resturant for those late nights snacks.

For those of you that have never been to Belize and Honduras, it's totally opposite than islands like Puerto Rico, St. Maartin, and St. Thomas. They are not safe ports to get off the ship and walk on your own. The minute you leave the ship and the secured port area, you are approacted and bothered by people wanting to sell you something or they are asking for money. The only way to see these islands safely is with a ship approved shore excursion. These are still Third-World countries, and although they are trying to build up the tourism to be cruise friendly as are the islands in the Eastern Caribbean, they have a long way to go. I will probably not even get off the ship, unless I pick a shore excursion to hang out on a beach for the day.

Arriving into Ft. Lauderdale Feb 20th. Will be staying at the Sheraton Yankee Trader. Nice hotel on the beach and within a few hundred yards to the gay beach.

On TravelerRoss....

I will be on the lookout on the beach Feb 20th. :^)

Shore excursions.......

Cave Tubing and Zip line is for me. If we go to Cozumel....then I stay on the ship, by the pool with a Long Island Iced tea.

One of the guy traveling next year is a newbe. When he called to book his cabin, RSVP would not give him the discount because he wasn't a "Previous RSVP Cruiser. I told him to call Dan Howell, and Dan said "No problem" and booked him with the discount.

We have a newbie friend joining us too and he got the discount - we booked through a TA.

Mike and Gary

We have been to the Turks and Caicos twice in the past year and are thinking about going in the fall. We are finalizing a tiny studio condo deal there. If you are interested in learning more about it, please contact us offline.

I would love to get a bunch of people down there. Maybe you two could be our younger men dates and confuse everyone since there isn't any gay life down there.

J and M

Turks.....Do I get to carry the bags, fluff the pillows and put the chocolates on the pillows?

Of course thats if I survive the Rome trip......I am hoping for a Amalfi Coast Romance......you know the routine.... a loaf of bread, a jug of wine and a buzzed cut, speedo clad stud muffin driving a red Ferrari. Oh how fanasties put a smile on ones face.

Tom

Back to the Zuiderdamm.........what a reunion cruise that will be!

Dinner in the Pinnacle grill anyone?

Just a FYI!!! For those of you that bought the soda drink sticker (that was very popular with our group of guys on the Caribbean Princess), don't expect the same unlimited fountain drinks while on the Zuiderdam. Holland has changed their "Fountain Card" to be a separate card that you will need to present to the waitstaff, and it will be hole-punched for only 20 fountain drinks for $20.95.

The link below shows a good layout of a CAT-G (partial obstructive view) cabin. It was taken on the Noordam which is close to identical deck plans and cabins as the Zuiderdam.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=528448

Just a FYI!!! For those of you that bought the soda drink sticker (that was very popular with our group of guys on the Caribbean Princess), don't expect the same unlimited fountain drinks while on the Zuiderdam. Holland has changed their "Fountain Card" to be a separate card that you will need to present to the waitstaff, and it will be hole-punched for only 20 fountain drinks for $20.95.

I *totally* forgot about the fact HAL had gone to a punch card, it was that way on the cruise in Feb 2006. On the Oct cruise on Diamond Princess I kept trying to remember why I decided I wouldn't do the soda card anymore... now I remember, it was the 20 punch card from Hal the previous cruise that put me off.

Still... math-wise. 20 sodas over 7 days is 3 a day almost. I wonder if I had that many plain sodas on the last cruise since most my sodas had rum in 'em LOL. Maybe not such a bad deal after all...

Hey Guys!

This was definitely the best time of our lives (even for us being first time cruisers on the Caribbean Princess).

We Booked too for Feb 2008. :) Cabin I-6071.

Can't wait until next year. Might have to do a few more cruises in the meantime.

Have a great one all!!

Marlin & Joe

:D

HEY... just noticed your cabin number. We're almost neighbors, I'm 2 doors down in I-6079 :)

Now that I've decided to go I'm all excited about it. Feb is a loooong way away still isn't it :P

When the web site will list this cruise. You would think that they would list it so that people could get interested and book=$$$$$$.

Updating of the web site seems so slow for a mass media company that has the assets to keep data updated and in line with advertising dollars.

Or am I just picky? At least they are now listing last Feb Caribbean Princess cruise as sold out.......I ammmmmm soooooo badddddd.

Well I better behave before they refuse me my booking. I am in a cat F, which I booked on board the Carib Princess....but have received no confirmation to date. I must admit admin follow up has now dropped lower than Atlantis........I am saddened by this. But as long as the cruise is great.

By the way, for the Rome trip, I have been askng RSVP about their hotel for Rome and have been told in three weeks every month since last September. It is now April...has anyone heard anything?

We Virgos' like to know things.

Looks like planetout is having some management issues...Jeff was the rsvp ceo and president...

On March 28, 2007, Jeffrey T. Soukup, PlanetOut Inc.'s (the "Company") President and Chief Operating Officer, tendered his notice of resignation from all of his positions with the Company. Mr. Soukup may remain an employee of the Company through a transition period and has made a claim for severance payments under his employment agreement, which has been previously filed with the SEC

HEY... just noticed your cabin number. We're almost neighbors, I'm 2 doors down in I-6079

Well, there will be some more of us along in the section of five I cabins on the Upper Verandah Deck. Joe and I will be in I-6075 and Uncle Bill and our friend Darrell will be in I-6067. That's assuming that there will be no upgrade offers, like the ones we had on the Caribbean Princess.

Look forward to meeting you all,

Ivan

Looks like planetout is having some management issues...Jeff was the rsvp ceo and president...

On March 28, 2007, Jeffrey T. Soukup, PlanetOut Inc.'s (the "Company") President and Chief Operating Officer, tendered his notice of resignation from all of his positions with the Company. Mr. Soukup may remain an employee of the Company through a transition period and has made a claim for severance payments under his employment agreement, which has been previously filed with the SEC

Not surprising when you look at some of the ill fated decisions he has made. The Caribbean Princess cruise, the Queen Mary !!. Both ships were far too large for the RSVP market and they are taking a "bath" on both cruises. He must have woke up and saw that the 1,900 passenger ships are much easier to fill. Then they showed him the door.

Bring back the former RSVP leaders and you would have a much better company.

But I sure hope that Mr Soukup didn't leave to avoid serious consequences if...if RSVP was financially in the red. If RSVP is held as a separate entity in all contractual agreements and goes bankrupt...what happens to future contracts....ship charters we have made deposits on?

I do not claim to know the business, but I hope that there is still a company called RSVP after the QM2 sailing. Too empty a ship would mean a financial loss. Add to this the loss of revenue on the Caribbean Princess....all those deals and still not a sold out ship.

I hope RSVP is sound....perhaps in the near future we will read of a new rebirth of the company. To be left with Atlantis as a monopoly might limit our choices in the future as to size of ships, and itineraries.

Let us all hope for the best.......by time the Rome trip comes up, perhaps we will have a better idea of what to expect.

Dear RSVP...if your are reading this.....be strong and prosper.

Well, there will be some more of us along in the section of five I cabins on the Upper Verandah Deck. Joe and I will be in I-6075 and Uncle Bill and our friend Darrell will be in I-6067. That's assuming that there will be no upgrade offers, like the ones we had on the Caribbean Princess.

Look forward to meeting you all,

Ivan

grin... looks like we have most those I inside cabins tied up. Since this is a smaller ship than the last 2 cruises I suspect they won't have the same problems filling it, and therefore no upgrades. From what I remember, these large inside cabins are pretty darn large tho, no real desire to get upgraded anyway.

Archived