Last Minute NCL SUN Tips!! HELP!

Sun&Soul

We are leaving a week from yesterday on the NCL Sun... I desperately need some last minute tips (anything you wish you would have brought, done, seen etc.) I also need you tips on alcohol, we like to have a few drinks on vacation and need some budgeting tips on this!! I also need your help on deciding between cave tubing and snorkeling in Belize... and what to do in Guatemala. Your suggestions will be GREATLY appreciated! Thanks so much everyone!:confused:

I did a quick search, using Sun & tips as the keywords, and found lots of posts. Here are a couple that may help you.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=506732&highlight=Sun+tips

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=449896&highlight=Sun+tips

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=330898&highlight=Sun+tips

Be sure to check out the Ports of Call http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5 section of the boards for posts regarding Belize and Guatemala.

Just got off the Sun

There was Beef Wellington in the traditional restaurant on the 1st sea night along with the lobster tail. I had both.

I had rack of lamb on the last night in the traditional restaurant. It was Fantastic.

I had rack of lamb in East Meets West Steakhouse. It was dry(But I didn't say anything)

There are 2 traditional resturants both with the same menu-free.

The buffet-free

Pacific Hights is free but requires reservations. The food was fantastic.

Las Ranblas is a bar that offers Tapas (small bites) free each evening. It makes a great spot for hors d'oeuvres or make a dinner of tapas. No reservations are needed.

Sports Bar is a bar where you can order some things in the evening-free-no reservations needed

East Meets West Steakhouse $20-$25-needs reservations.

Le Bistro-French-$15-needs reservations.

il Adagio-Italian-$10-needs reservations.

Ginza-Sushi Bar- $15-needs reservations.

Teppanyaki-Japanese-$20-needs reservations.

On the Sun (2/25-3/4/07) 50% off cover charge at the Steakhouse, il Adagio, Le Bistro 5:30 and 6pm reservations only.

(50% discount does not apply to Featured Specials, Sushi Bar or Teppanyaki)

On the Sun reservations could only be made the day before or the day of the dinner.

In Costa Maya we went to Majuhal It is a fishing village about 3 miles from the pier. You can stay on the beach, shop for local things, get great beers, food massages. You can also purchase a snorkel trip there for about $10 a person.

Guatemala- you can purchase tours from the pier. We booked with Happy Fish for a river tour and a stop in Livingston.($40) There is also Go with Gus.

You must be on the port side of the ship at departure as the school children and the taxis all give the Sun a great send off.

Belize-we went with cave-tubingdotcom. It was great but the river is low now which slows things down a bit but it was great.

Do look at the Ports of Call board.

Have a great time--we really did

Congratulations!! I love the Sun. If you like sushi - go see if Rudy is still the sushi chef - its a pay restraunt, but worth every penny - he is a genius!

As for the bar tab, I keep hearing that the drink prices are rising to about 8-10 a piece! I called ahead (sailing on the Jewel in less than 2 weeks myself!) and ordered a bottle of bourbon and 1 of vodka - those were almost $100 but NCL has also become the alcohol gestapo, so I figured that was the easy way out. We like to have a cocktail in the evening while dressing for dinner.

As for Belize, I would snorkel - its fantastic. If you can get around to the far side of the island from where you dock, its even better! Nearer to Ambergris Cay. The water was rough, but the snorkeling was among the best I've ever seen. Have a great cruise !!!!

We just got back, had a great time, as far as achohol it's expensive. Beer @ $5, mixed drinks $9 you can try to sneek some on but be carefull, one of our party got caught, one did not. Cave tubing or snorkling?? we did cave tubuing and it wasn't much--long hard walk to float down the river in the dark--it was'nt bad but snorkling would be better. In Guatemala I just stayed in port but most of our party did the river Dulce tour through NCL and really enjoyed it. If you don't have anything planned for Costa Maya rent a golf cart and go directly to John & Susies--best time we had

enjoy

We are leaving a week from yesterday on the NCL Sun... I desperately need some last minute tips (anything you wish you would have brought, done, seen etc.) I also need you tips on alcohol, we like to have a few drinks on vacation and need some budgeting tips on this!! I also need your help on deciding between cave tubing and snorkeling in Belize... and what to do in Guatemala. Your suggestions will be GREATLY appreciated! Thanks so much everyone!:confused:

I tend to drink vodka and tonic or vodka martinis, I found out if you just order a voka and tonic they tend to give you Grey Goose at $9.00 a pop instead of the call liquor-- from then on I ordered Finlandia vodka w/ all my drinks @ $5.75 a pop. Go into any bar , look for the bar menu and see what they charge for your favorite brand and compare it to the others to see the difference. Also the drink of the day is $9.00 but they serve it in a souvenier cup, ask for a regular cup and its cheaper. Did cave tubing and ziplining in Belize, it was a blast! You can snorkel at most ports but I don't know where else you will find cave tubing. Have fun!

Cave tubing was great. I booked it on my own for a lot less than the ship's price, which includeda meal and a beer in a restaurant on the way back to the ship. There are at least two companies that you can find on line. I chose the smaller one of two which was a good choice as we were five while the other one had 20+. They met me where the tender docked so there was no problem finding them. It a nice drive to the Park. Bring your own water shoes as the ones you could rent were not the best, ugh. You do have to do some walking through the rainforest with an inner tube and a light so be prepared for some exercise as well as the trip down the river was a bit of a work out as you had to get yourself in the right position a few times. The change room was clean. All the best.

Everything posted here is a per person charge. We just got home from the Sun. It was fantastic! Weather was also great. Had some rain on Sat morning when a cold front moved in, but later the sun shined and it was beautiful. Not as warm from that point on, but still beautiful and sunny. Hope you have as good a cruise as we did.

Donna

Archived