Do walkie talkies work on NCL spirit

natdal

We tried using them on the Spirit last August (with decent 7 mile range Motorolas) and found them to be sketchy at best. They worked ok on open decks, but really struggled between decks, or een from aft to mid-ship on the same deck. In the end we gave up on using them.

I've read others who say they've had success, but I'm not sure what they were using or how much success they actually had.

Please read your instruction booklet that came with the walkie talkie. Most say they are using legal frequencies for Canada and the US. Unfortuantely, just about every other country has different legal frequencies, thus using American walkie talkies may be illegal in other countries.

Not on the August 12 cruise ;) .

Were you on the August 12th cruise as well? If so, it looks like we missed meeting up with a local! It looks like you're from Buffalo, we live in Hamburg.

BTW GO SABRES!

Were you on the August 12th cruise as well? If so, it looks like we missed meeting up with a local! It looks like you're from Buffalo, we live in Hamburg.

BTW GO SABRES!

Nevermind, I see you're sailing on the Spirit in '07. We were on it the same date in '06.

Still gotta root with you for the Sabres however!

Yo! Have you noticed how many Buffalonians are on here? Maybe because it's -1 right now and the kids are all out of school AGAIN?

LOL, our kids had school today. It looked as it was primarily the city schools that closed due to the -20+ windchill today. Having grown up in the city, and walked blocks to school, I can understand the city closing up with the frigid temps we have at the moment. Most the kids out here are bussed and picked up within a block of their house, thus I can also understand why the suburban districts are open today for the most part.

BTW, I love the vintage Sabres avatar (hate the new logo)! I might have to steal that from you lol.

LOL, our kids had school today. It looked as it was primarily the city schools that closed due to the -20+ windchill today. Having grown up in the city, and walked blocks to school, I can understand the city closing up with the frigid temps we have at the moment. Most the kids out here are bussed and picked up within a block of their house, thus I can also understand why the suburban districts are open today for the most part.

BTW, I love the vintage Sabres avatar (hate the new logo)! I might have to steal that from you lol.

My kids are already losing spring vacation time- this is nuts!

Go right ahead and steal my avatar- I stole it from someone else on here- with his blessing. I tried to find another one that would work but this is the only old school one I could find. I would love to get one in the shape of one of the players but no go. That would be cool, though.

My kids are already losing spring vacation time- this is nuts!

Go right ahead and steal my avatar- I stole it from someone else on here- with his blessing. I tried to find another one that would work but this is the only old school one I could find. I would love to get one in the shape of one of the players but no go. That would be cool, though.

LOL, stolen it is, I made the edges transparent, not quite as clean as I'd like it, but it'll do for now. GO SABRES!

I don't know about your particular ship, but I used them two years ago on the Costa Atlantic sailing in the Caribbean, and again last year on the NCL Dream, in another part of the Caribbean. I'll be taking them with me this year on the NCL Star sailing to Mexico. I have never had a problem with them. We use them to keep in touch with our son when on the ship. Works great! I only have used them on land in the US though, so I don't know if you are planning to use them in ports. We are never away from our son in ports. Hope this helps!:D

Any one alse have any more ideas about my Question?

We leave Aug 4 from New york on Spirit.

Sorry to throw things off-topic. Like I said in my 1st post, they didn't work well for us on the ship, I've read reports of others who had success, but am not sure what type of radios they used. All I know is my 7 mile range Motorolas were terrible for us on the Spirit and ended up back in the suitcase.

We used walkie talkie's on the spirit in Dec. As said previously they were hit and miss. Sometimes reception was ok, sometimes none at all, other times we picked up others. We had purchased 10-12 km range, had actually up scaled from a cheaper model in hopes this would good for the ship. Half way through the cruise we gave up. There have been other posts regarding this question in the past and many responded saiding they worked fine. We saw another family using one , which was a cheaper model and they said they had not problem go figure. We ended up just setting meeting times and places. It may depend on how old your children are and how responsible. On our next cruise we will not bring them, just make sure everyone has a good watch.

Good luck, enjoy you cruise on the Spirit, we had the time of our lives.

Mike

Archived