Anybody visit Christiania in Copenhagen?

romy

My husband works with someone who recently visited Christiania and said it's a fun and unique place to make a quick stop in. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Happy Sailing!!!!

Romy

WE're planning on going when we're there in a couple of weeks. My wife and I grew up in the 60's, I remember when the "hippies" siezed the place. Our daughter is just coming out of the Techno music era so we couldn't miss it. Plus Rick Stevens gives it three stars.

Greg

Groovy, even far out Man!:D

My husband "Greg" and I are looking forward to it. When are you going to the Baltics? I see in your sig sometime in August. We'll be in Copenhagen August 14th and 15th.

11_12_1.gif 11_12_4.gif

Happy Sailing!!!

Romy

We'll be there the 12th Pre-cruise, sail on the 13th and spend the 20th Post Cruise departing by air EARLY on the 21st. The 20th is our anniversary and Tivoli is hosting a free concert that night by KC and the Sunshine Band!!

Greg

Greg,

You'll love seeing a concert in the Tivoli Gardens. It's such a mellow place.

We were there last month before our cruise and on one night saw a ballet, a puppet show and a swing band.

They have over 20 restaurants to dine in as well.

Enjoy and Happy Anniversary.

Romy - we had Christiana on our list of places to visit. Unfortunately, we saved it for the last day when it was raining quite hard and we figured that most of the locals there would be holed up in their homes. Oh well, next time!

Jane

We used the hop on/hop off bus and got off in Christiana. We were disappointed,other then seeing a bunch of hobo types there wasn't much to see except the church....which is very difficult to climb. (I actually gave up before reaching the top of the tower)

I really enjoyed Christiania and am glad that I got to see it. I actually would have liked to have spent more time there. However, my husband's impression was quite different. He felt it showed the dirt and marijuana of the sixties, without the peace and love. Guess it all depends on how you look at it.

Bobbie

We visited in winter 2002 and although we had a sunny day it was amidst snow showers. We were disappointed with Christiania but visited a great church that we stumbbled across on the way (walking from the city). Great spire is the only way I can discribe the church but well worth a visit inside which we did when we heard the bells. I would suggest that you look inside any door as you never know what you will find!

Regarding Christiania, lots of small kiosks, takeaway food, worn-out sixties facade and we were not sure who where the genuine inhabitants.

We also really enjoyed the changing of the guard which is not really promoted in Copenhagen but which is a real treat.

• 2 weeks later...

We visited on Rick's recommendation... found it kind of grungy and not that entertaining during the day. Had a very nice dinner at night though at Spielsoben (no idea how to spell). If you want to eat there, make a reservation, and try to get a waiter who can translate the menu. And don't be surprised when the table next to you lights up a joint. :p

Archived