Muster question

Roxilla

My parents, my 2 teenaged sons, and my husband and I are all traveling Alaska northbound on July2nd aboard the Coral Princess. I am a little concerned about muster stations since my sons will be on a different deck from my parents and I. If there were to be a reason to board the life boats, I am wondering if my sons would be allowed to be with us or if they would be forced onto other boats. Does anyone know?

I think I can answer your question based on our experience actually being in our muster station (for over 7 hours) during the fire on the Star Princess last March.

First, Muster stations seem to be assigned by vertical location on the ship. So, if others you're travelling with are above or below you but in the same section you'll likely be in the same muster station.

However, passengers are absolutely required to go to the muster station assigned to their stateroom and they are not allowed to move to other muster stations to be with family or travelling companions. The staff DID do a very good job of communicating between muster stations to assure everyone knew their family members were safe.

My best advice is, as mentioned above, if you're concerned about this try to do your best to assure your family are in your same section, wether above or below you (e.g, if you're in the 700s, make sure your family members are also in the 700s on their floor.) That's just my thinking, though.

All that having been said, and even though we went through the fire experience, it's highly unlikely you'll ever have to worry about it. And, as I said above, we found that the staff and crew in the muster stations were very prepared and were very good about locating family members in other muster stations.

Hope that's helpful, and happy cruising!

I knew somebody would have info on this. Thanks "5:00". I feel better now because their cabin is almost directly below ours although a few decks down. We are Aloha 516 and they are Emerald 514.

I knew somebody would have info on this. Thanks "5:00". I feel better now because their cabin is almost directly below ours although a few decks down. We are Aloha 516 and they are Emerald 514.

You should be in the same muster station. 5:00 somewhere is correct about how they tend to do the muster stations and we also have first hand experience as we were on the Star sailing as well.

We were in Caribe 414 and our kids was was close and our friends were on Caribe but back in the 700's and our muster stations were not together. However those who were above and below us were in our muster station.

Don't worry about it, the chances of you ever having to really go to the muster station are so incredibly slim. Just go and enjoy!

Bobby,

I am not sure just what you are saying. the muster stations are separated vertically through the ship, thus, if you are in A206 or B206 or C206 you would be in the same muster station, which (on Princess) would be one of the lounges.

The reason is that everyone is assigned a station closest to their respective position in terms of closeness to the station. What that means is that if you look at a deck map and see that the theater is located just a few decks below you, you can almost be certain that your muster station will be the theater, if you are further aft, it may be one of the large lounges (depends on the ship)

You will know soon enough, the life preserver you take from your cabin has the “Muster Station” printed on them.

At the time of the “drill” ship’s staff are to worried about dotting the I’s and crossing the T’s. They want people in the correct location. They want you where your life preserver says you are to be.

If your sons have their own cabin, ay least one of them is an adult. Let them go to the Muster drill on their own, no big deal. Remember, the stations have been set up so that there are enough seats in emergency craft. I doubt two people would make that much difference, but you never know. Do you want the responsibility of two people going with out seats while another lifeboats has empty seats?

You will know soon enough, the life preserver you take from your cabin has the “Muster Station” printed on them.

At the time of the “drill” ship’s staff are to worried about dotting the I’s and crossing the T’s. They want people in the correct location. They want you where your life preserver says you are to be.

If your sons have their own cabin, ay least one of them is an adult. Let them go to the Muster drill on their own, no big deal. Remember, the stations have been set up so that there are enough seats in emergency craft. I doubt two people would make that much difference, but you never know. Do you want the responsibility of two people going with out seats while another lifeboats has empty seats?

Actually, during a real emergency they will also direct you to the nearest muster station if you don't know where you're going or you can't get to your muster station. The fire was a real emergency and they were directing people into our muster station that were either not sure where to go, were in a panic, were too intoxicated, or other reasons. In a perfect situation you will end up in the correct muster station, but everyone knows that a real emergency isn't the perfect case scenerio and Princess will made sure that no matter where you are, there are plenty of seats in a lifeboat.

This is the first time the boys have been allowed their own stateroom and it's because the oldest one is 17. The youngest is 14. I feel sure we will all be at the same station now because of our cabin locations. I also felt assured to hear that the staff were really good about letting family members know that their other members were safely at their station. Of course, as a parent, one always wants to make sure their children are safe.

Thanks for all the good info guys!

Archived