I probably know the answer but

REGINA

We live in Baltimore and are taking a cruise from NY. Not our first but our first out of NY. Now I know most of you will say drive up the night before,,,however my husband seems confident that we will be fine leaving early that morning. I am fearful of traffic jams, construction etc.

Has anyone made this drive before from MD/DE area?

The drive is probably a little over three hours. I've driven to NY before but not to the cruise terminal. I would leave by at least 7AM just to make sure you arrive with enough leeway. Is your cruise a weekend departure or weekday? That could make a great difference in the drive time. Have you considered the train?

We live in Baltimore and are taking a cruise from NY. Not our first but our first out of NY. Now I know most of you will say drive up the night before,,,however my husband seems confident that we will be fine leaving early that morning. I am fearful of traffic jams, construction etc.

The drive from Baltimore to N.Y.C. is no Joke, lots of traffic etc.

Fred

You will probably run into traffic around Wilmington, Philly and right outside NY. We sailed out of NY when we were living in Baltimore and did go up the night before. I think your best bet would be try to leave very early so you can get past these busy places before the traffic gets bad, then you can have breakfast or an early lunch before you get on the ship. The NY terminal was pretty chaotic when we were there, hopefully it has gotten better. Our cruises from there were great though. Have fun!! Cindy

It's a 50/50 it's the weekend so it shouldn't be HORRIBLE trafficwise but you WILL have traffic, you are taking your chances with it...If you leave at 7am expect to get there at 11am just in case...to be honest with you though if the ship does not leave until 4pm I don't see how you can't get there by 2pm the absolute latest if you leave that early and that is with tons of traffic...I think leaving that early you will be just fine.

The cruises leaving out of NY this spring and summer are all on different days because they are 8 nighters. What day of the week is yours. Any holiday driving? What is the date? This might help others answer your question.

We did a cruise out of NY in Dec 04 and drove up from DC. NY Traffic is no joke no matter what day you travel... I want to say we left at 7AM and we were OK. But my husband drives like a bat out of hell so... ;)

Just an FYI, the Miracle cruise on 05/27 leaves during Fleet Week. If that is your cruise, you may want to take that into consideration. My roommate and I are heading down the day before and just staying in a hotel to go out the night before and hopefully avoid some of the delays.

You will hit major traffic during the week, a little bit less on a Sat AM and a little less still on Sun AM.

Try to talk him into driving up the day before or like another poster said. Take Amtrak. It will take you right into Penn Station and then you can get a cab to the terminal. :)

Hey Regina,

I live outside of Baltimore and make that trip all the time.Hubby is from NY and in-laws live there. I think if you leave between 6-7am you should be fine. Most of the traffic on Sundays are people going South down to Baltimore. It might be a pain on the way back though. Also, consider you are going to have to keep your car somewhere and will be incurring that cost too. I would probably take a quick flight to NY...there are always cheap flights. Good Luck!!!

Archived