Pride of America Dress Code?

PatriciaF

What is the dress code in the evening? Is there a formal night? Last time on one of the inter-island cruises there was a formal night but much less formal. I don't want to pack more clothes than necessary--so I have room for more clothes that I probably won't wear either.

Thanks.

Pat

To answer the OP's question: There is a formal night, but it is completely, totally, thoroughly optional, even in the dining rooms. The requested attire every evening for dinner in the dining room and special restaurants is slacks (khakis are fine) with collared shirts for the gentlemen and slacks/tops, capris/tops, skirts/tops, or casual dresses for the ladies. Shorts are fine in the buffet at any time, of course. They say no sandals in the dining rooms/restaurants, but please--no sandals in Hawaii? And most women I know have at least two pairs of heeled dress sandals. I mean, sure I can see no thongs/flip-flops (or slippers, as they say in Hawaii), but no sandals is silly. Thus, I wore nice sandals with my sundresses or slacks every night. For evening, no muscle tanks, no shorts, no coverups, no swimsuits, etc. in the dining rooms/restaurants just as on most ships, but other than that and the most basic requests for resort casual, you are free to dress up or not as you choose. We left all the formal stuff at home, brought some resort casual attire, and fit right in. There were other pax who obviously love dressing formally because some did so every night, and more power to them if it makes them feel happy. That's one thing that was nice about the whole Freestyle deal--that and not being locked into a dining time or table, and also having so many options was nice.

(You go Mike! Class is in how we behave and how we treat others...You obviously have loads of class, while some others obviously do not.)

beachchick

Returned from cruising on Pride of America on Monday and judging from the photo gallery quite a few chose to dress up for optional formal night. Of course, it went the opposite direction other nights with entire tables wearing shorts or jeans to dinner in the main dining rooms, so the resort attire casual dress code was not enforced.

I know "tanktops" are not allowed, but what constitutes a "tanktop" I have many shirts that are technically tanktops but are formal, satin, beaded etc... What about dresses that are tanktop style? So is there a strict rule on this, will they actually refuse someone into a restaurant if they are improperly dressed. Thanks a lot!! :)

I know "tanktops" are not allowed, but what constitutes a "tanktop" I have many shirts that are technically tanktops but are formal, satin, beaded etc... What about dresses that are tanktop style? So is there a strict rule on this, will they actually refuse someone into a restaurant if they are improperly dressed. Thanks a lot!! :)

A nice sleeveless top is not the "tank top" they are talking about. They mean the muscle tanks with the huge side arm holes which display armpit hair and other body parts. Although men usually are the ones wearing that style, sometimes women do and wear a sports bra underneath. That would not be appropriate either. A ragged, hanging out at the beach tank top would not be appropriate.

Nice sleeveless tops, sweaters, or dresses (including strapless) are perfectly acceptable and worn by many women. I do recommend that you bring a lightweight dressy sweater or wrap because it can be awfully cool in the dining rooms and restaurants. I have a couple of silk wraps and a few lace sweaters that work perfectly to keep my shoulders warm while dining, but still are dressy enough to be suitable.

You'll be fine (and look lovely, I have no doubt).:)

beachchick

Yes....your jeweled flip-flops will be OK. I live in Hawaii and don't own many "real" shoes anymore. My rubber slippahs with the "jewels" on them (very flashy and pretty!) are fine for evenings. Also, I pack some other very strappy little flip-flops I own.

Have fun!!

Archived