Has Airline Ever Lost Luggage Prior To Your Cruise?

we went from jfk to fll and jet blue lost both our bags! we were departing the next day for a 17 night t/a to savona :mad: .

the jet blue ground staff were not helpful, they said to keep checking as it may come in on a later flight!

it finally arrived 3 hours prior to sailing, this was only because we continually enquired about the bags!

top tip...pack a little of each others things in each suitcase, so then if one does go astray you have some clothes!

Hi just curious if anyone has had the airline lose their luggage prior to boarding ship :mad: We leave in 8 days and this is a big fear! What do they do? Please share your experiences. Thank you so much!

Lori :)

Hello all I'm new to this bored. I've been on 2 cruises with RCI and the first time I went on a cruise on the adventure when it was its 6 voyage out. Ok here goes. A group of us were suppose to go on a cruise but only 2 of us actually went my best friend at I We flew down to Puerto Rico 2 days earlier to start the vacation. I go and get my luggage in Puerto Rico and my luggage never arrived. I kepy checking with the hotel and it never showed up. Now its time to board the ship and I still don't have luggage. Well the ship sails off, first day at sea still no luggage. I tell the customer service peron at the guest relations and the look on her face was priceless. She stated ok I'll take care of it for now here is something to tide you over. It was a shaving kit and a tee shirt. Second day of the cruise we are in Aruba and still no luggage. Well we get back from the excursion and magically my lugguage appears 3 and half days later the airlines only gave m $30.00 but when you have $300.00 roller blades and $100.00 worth of upgrades to them, brand new suits and basically all brand new clothes 30.00 was a slap in the face. RCI actually gave me a credit of 100.00 for my troubles which I wasn't expecting that was very generous of them. This is a reason why I am loyal to RCI. The strange looks I got from people at formal night when I showed up in white shorts and a tee shirt was also priceless.

Many years ago our luggage was lost when our Miami-Montego Bay flight was cancelled. We were 2 hours late for the departure of the ship (REGENT SEA -from the now defunct Rengency line). We were met by the local agent as we got off the plane; went to get the bags ... uh oh, no bags! Filed a claim in M.B. and then went for the ride of our lives in a taxi with the local agent who was in contact with the ship via radio. It was now 10 p.m. and pitch black. Upon arrival at the pier we were not allowed to enter (and I quote) "the ship is preparing to depart." DUH, we're trying to get on it. By this time the radio quit functioning. FINALLY after much begging and pleading on the part of the agent, we were allowed to enter but on foot. We literally ran through the grounds and as we approached the ship from behind some buildings we heard the cheering of the hundreds of people lined up at the railings. I'm sure they wondered why in the world the ship was not leaving on time!

Our luggage did not catch up with us until just before departure from Costa Rica on day #5. The ship gave us $50 each to spend in the gift shop; they gave us toiletries kits; the purser asked for all our sizes and for days clothes from the crew "appeared" in our room; the few things we had were laundered and returned with a few hours (for free). Quite a few passengers loaned us things as well and those were cleaned by the ship at no charge.

When we returned to catch our flight home from Montego Bay the agent checking us in (American Airlines) took one look at our tickets and said something like "oh, I heard about YOU", she disappears into the back room and comes back with first class upgrades plus vouchers for future travel. In Miami I found the agent who was so helpful the week before in getting us to Jamaica (I wanted to thank her and let her know we made the ship) and she upgraded us to first class also.

All in all it was one of the most memorable cruises we ever took. It was also the last one we ever booked to fly on sailing day.

Deb

Well after all these horrible experiences I have learned to make sure you go a day early, which we are thank goodness! Pack his/her clothes in both carry ons, put itinerary of whole trip including night before stay and even airline flight info, plus our cell and ships itinerary! After all this just pray the luggage angels are on your side :p Thank you all so much, I never would have put the itinerary in ALL bags or mix up clothes on the carry ons either! Just 6 more days and hopefully after that I will be able to relate a happy ending to my fear :D

Lori :)

We were on the Freedom this Feb. and our luggage didn't make it til the first port which was Cozumel. We were glad just to be on the boat and RCCL was wonderful. They gave us a free tux and formal clothes for me , free laundy service and tee shirts. We had a bathing suit in our carry-on so we just made the best of it. RCCL went to the airport 2 times since the first time the luggage wasn't there. A.A. was terrible but RCCL was wonderful. Just bring a bathing suit, shorts and any medication. You are on a cruise just make the best of it.

Luggage tips...

1) Avoid PHL, expecially on US Airways.

2) Avoid Regional Jets, as if they are overweight, they will offload luggage before they offload passengers.

3) Look around, your bags do not have to and sometimes do not travel on the same flights as you, often your bags will make a earlier flight than you do, expecially on a busy route where there are flights every hour or so.

It can happen with any airline. We've lost luggage 3 out of 6 times. Last cruise my husband's luggage was never found and my father-in-laws was sent to his house a week AFTER the cruise. The other cruises the luggage caught up with us towards the end of the cruise. Our motto is now "cross-pack or cross -dress!" My DH rents tuxes, so he has 2 nights covered regardless of the luggage situation. We carry on meds, film, documents and swimwear. We EXPECT luggage to be lost and try to guess which piece. We DON"T spend anytime stressing over it. Fill out the forms and assume you'll never see it again. We don't spend a lot of money on the clothes, because we won't be properly re-imbursed. (We don't dress like slobs,either)

Most important- we have a good time and whatever happens, happens.

Karen

Archived