Has Airline Ever Lost Luggage Prior To Your Cruise?

On my last cruise one of my table mates at dinner was telling me that on her last RCCL cruise in Europe the airline had lost bags for a few of the people on board. She said that RCCL gave them some clothes from the gift shop and let them borrow formal wear. Luckily she had one change of clothes and another pair of shoes in her carry on. This was on a 10nt cruise! She said that she and a few others did not let this spoil their vacation and had an absolute blast! There was a honeymoon couple onboard and apparently the bride refused to leave her cabin for the whole cruise.:(

We had our bags lost for about 28 hours by the airlines on the way to Miami a couple of years ago... THANK HEAVENS we flew in the day before our cruise. It showed up just as we were ready to leave for the port. Just another reason to fly in the day before....

They lost it our on western carib cruise in 2005--had a short layover for connecting flight, so it did not arrive when we did at port city. We flew in same day (was first cruise and didn't know any better before I booked the flight), but we had taken a "red-eye" so we arrived in Miami around 8am. Luckily, our baggage arrived on another flight not long after we had filled out all the 'lost luggage' paperwork and documentation, so it had a happy ending.

They don't just lose luggage on long flights with connections. On our last flight from Las Vegas, Nevada to Salt Lake City, Utah (1 hour, straight flight), they lost all of our luggage. Was lost for over 24 hours.

Somehow, it had ended up on the East coast.

Yes, it can happen.

Always take carry-on luggage with any medications and necessary items and a few pieces of clothing to get by if you don't see your luggage.

Wear your jackets or warmer items on the plane, if they are needed on the cruise.

If you are a couple or family and have two suitcases etc. split the contents up in case one case is missing. Then you will all have something to wear if a case is missing.

It is wise to arrive the day before the cruise as luggage can go astray or flights can be delayed or even canceled.

Put your itinerary inside the suitcase and sturdy name tags on the luggage. We also put our cell phone number and e-mail address on our name tag. If the name tag comes off the airline person can track you down from the itinerary.

For a black suitcase make it look different so another passenger will not take it by mistake, there are many, many black suitcases that all look alike. Colourful duct tape or ribbons help.

Then cross your fingers, have a fun cruise.:)

Ours was lost flying to Barcelona for Med. cruise. We were lucky and it arrived before we left our pre-cruise hotel for the ship the next day. But dozens of people on our ship were still having their luggage delivered to them at various ports several days into the cruise.

We bought a few things in Barcelona before our luggage arrived and we were reimbursed by Air France.

CVU Makes some very good comments/ideas.

Would like to add one: On our Freedom cruise last November several people had lost luggage - they had all stayed a night previous in Miami, etc. - in other words they had tried to "do the right thing." They could not blame airlines, etc. for lost bags.

When they were taken to the pier in a hotel shuttle, numerous bags never made it - the feeling at the time was that a group of luggage thieves had taken a good number of suitcases. The cases never did show up for the entire cruise. Our table mates were from England and had lost a large suitcase - they met with ship's secruity, and were scheduled to meet with Miami police, etc. on the return to port.

They were told that they the bags should have been handed over personally to a RC porter at the docks - not to trust shuttle drivers, cab drivers, etc. who said they would get the bags to the correct "line" or whatever. We found this interesting - we have always tried to make sure that we saw where our porter took the bags - at least to a "holding area" or something and not just wheeled them out of sight.

It seemed that this was what RC and the police were assuming had happened to numerous people - someone just took the bags and disappeared.

Our tablemates last year were without luggage for their whole cruise! They kept hoping and hoping it would arrive at the each port but no luck. Rccl gave them tshirts and they had shorts and sweats with them. Poor brother and sister had to wear sweats and t's to formal night. They seemed to have a good attitude about it but i'm sure it was a bummer. Another friend of mine was on a celebrity cruise when her luggage didn't show. She was able to find a dress in the gift shop for formal night but was lucky to have a cousin on board to borrow clothes. Her suitcase finally showed up sometime after the 3rd day.

Wow you guys! I didn't except such a response :) Well I'm happy that we're coming in a day before, and we do have a non-stop flight. CVU had a great idea I would not have thought of, to mix up our bags a bit :D that is a great idea! Plus I'll throw an extra bathing suit, jammies, extra skeevies for DH & me, and shorts too, plus what ever I can jam in the carry-ons :p It's too bad we can't count on airlines to take good care our personal items, because we sure do pay good money to fly. But as long as we land safely I'll be happy! I feel so sorry for people who didn't get their bags in a timely matter, what a way to start a trip. But I guess you just have to make the best of it and as long as the cruise line helps out that good service. Keep coming with more stories they are interesting to read!!

Thanks again, 8 more days until our first cruise :)

Lori

We were picking my son up at the JFK airport coming in on a flight from Burlington Vermont. We were waiting and waiting for the luggage to come out for almost 2 hours. There were several cruiseline reps waiting for people and constantly checking their watches since many of the flights were delayed that day and the additional time waiting for the luggage was definitely making them nervous.. One couple waiting at the luggage area was pacing back and forth and visibly upset. Finally the luggage came and she got her bag and a few others got theirs but then the luggage belt stopped moving. They made an announcement that on the smaller planes if people have a lot of luggage they just leave some behind because of the weight restrictions. The couple had to leave without his getting his bag. My son didn't get his either. I never realized that they (Delta) could just randomly leave bags behind.

Thats terrible Sue, did your son ever get his bag back???? What a violation! It sure makes you wonder :confused: I hope he did at least get his back!

Lori :)

He got it back at about 3:00 the next afternoon, but he had come home from college so the first day and 1/2 he had no clothes.

Definitely split up the clothes between the bags, I put both evening outfits and daytime outfits in both bags and split the shoes between the bags too.

Don't worry about your connection time. If there is enough time for you then there is plenty for your luggage. It usually gets to the plane much quicker than you do.

A couple of tips to minimize risks:

1. Make sure that it is tagged correctly at check in.

2. Place a couple of business cards or similar items inside each piece in case the tags are ripped off so that you can get it back.

3. Include a copy of your itinerary inside each bag, so that if it is delayed they can find out where you will be.

4. If you are going a day ahead make sure the airline knows where you are staying, most delayed bags are on the next flight and are delivered to you as long as you can be found.

5. If you are flying the same day and there is another flight from your connection point wait at the airport to see if the bags arrive, you can get them then that wait you don't have to wait on deliver which can take up to 8 hours after arrival.

Bottom line though, don't worry because 99+% of all bags are on time and with you.

Don't worry about your connection time. If there is enough time for you then there is plenty for your luggage. It usually gets to the plane much quicker than you do.

A couple of tips to minimize risks:

1. Make sure that it is tagged correctly at check in.

2. Place a couple of business cards or similar items inside each piece in case the tags are ripped off so that you can get it back.

3. Include a copy of your itinerary inside each bag, so that if it is delayed they can find out where you will be.

4. If you are going a day ahead make sure the airline knows where you are staying, most delayed bags are on the next flight and are delivered to you as long as you can be found.

5. If you are flying the same day and there is another flight from your connection point wait at the airport to see if the bags arrive, you can get them then that wait you don't have to wait on deliver which can take up to 8 hours after arrival.

Bottom line though, don't worry because 99+% of all bags are on time and with you.

Thanks for the good advice, I'm going to make a copy of our hotel and Itinerary right now so I don't forget! I have another question but its not in regard to losing my luggage so I will post another thread! Hope to see you there! :p

Lori

My question is where is the best place to put the itinerary paper? I made several copies but should they go on the inside or in the front zipper part?

Hey Lake Erie, are you right up around the Cleveland or Sandusky area? My husband got to charter a boat last year and loved it so much he would love to go again this year, any suggestions?

My question is where is the best place to put the itinerary paper? I made several copies but should they go on the inside or in the front zipper part?

Hey Lake Erie, are you right up around the Cleveland or Sandusky area? My husband got to charter a boat last year and loved it so much he would love to go again this year, any suggestions?

We put business card sized info sheets in the name tag holder on our bags. The top one has our name and the hotel we are staying at precruise, along with our cell phone number. The next one down has the ship's name and cabin number and sailing date and cell phone #. For the way back we have our home address and cell phone #

Hi, we live in Michigan, downriver area, but we have a boat docked on Lake Erie in Gibraltar, and we go to Sandusky, (where Cedar Pointe is :)) area all the time by water, Port Clinton is really nice right there also, or for sure Put In Bay which is a island off the shore of Sandusky/Port Clinton area, about 11 miles. It is like paradise, its about a 15 mile wide island you can only get to by boat, or they have a "Jet Express" shuttle, its awesome, so much to do!!! Here is the link, check it out! http://www.putinbay.com/ We go there all the time in the summer, you can even bring your car on one of the shuttles, not Jet Express though, there you just park and ride $25 round trip, great hotels, even a state park where you can camp or set up a tent! Its truly a hidden secret that is a treasure! Check it out!

Lori :)

My aunt an uncle came down to florida from Boston to take a cruise with my parents last year. It was a direct/non-stop flight and their luggage did not make it. Luckily they flew in 2 days early, which they spent the whole time shopping for their new clothes (they had bought all new clothes in Boston for this their first cruise, tags were all still on clothes in the luggage, not sure it that was why it was taken?) To this day they have not been reimbursed for their loss.

We flew Delta in Jan. for our AOS cruise. They placed us on standby for an earlier flight and our baggage was put on the plane we were scheduled to be on so when we made standby and arrived in SJU, our luggage was still in Atlanta. It did catch up with us the next day, so we were glad that we went a day early.

We did learn that we need to pack an extra pair of clothing in our carryon!

On the way home, our luggage was lost again. They delivered it the next day to our home.

My friend went on AOS in Jan. and they bought air thru RCL and flew down the day of the cruise. The airlines lost their luggage and they didn't get it until day 5 of their cruise. It was hard on them as she is petite and it was impossible to find clothing at the ship's shops that fit her. She said never fly in the day of your cruise!

We met a woman on our last cruise -- her luggage and her mother's never made it to Miami for their cruise (I think it was a direct flight from Chicago). She bought a few things on-board and borrowed things from table mates. RCI did her laundry for free the whole week. I would have been a wreck but this woman was intent on completely enjoying her vacation anyway. She had a great attitidue -- it's only clothes!

One of our bags didn't make it to Miami with us one year -- but we had flown in 2 days early for some pre-cruise relaxation so it had time to catch up with us at hour hotel the day after we arrived. That's why I always like to fly in two days ahead. You never know.

We are one of those unfortunate people. Our first cruise (which was our honeymoon) was in August of 2004 aboard Mariner. Unfortunately, it was right after hurricane Charley blew through central Florida so we ended up having to fly standby and in that process the airlines left our luggage at the connecting airport. Since we flew in the day before, we left word with the airlines and went to our hotel and proceeded to call the airline. Unfortunately, their phone lines were busy all night so around 9:30 PM we went to a 24 hour Walmart and stocked up on shorts, tank tops, undies, bathing suits, etc. The next morning we drove to the port and I cried my way on to the ship with our Walmart bags in tow. We didn't get our luggage until we returned to FL - the airlines had dropped it off at our hotel versus re-routing it to us on the cruise.

Despite the clothing problem, RCL totally stepped up and accomodated us. They gave us Ship Shape t-shirts to wear, they offered my DH a tux and me formalwear (which I couldn't wear because I too am petite). They gave us robes and did our laundry for free. And they were totally sympathetic and understanding even though none of it was their fault. And now when I look back, and I have the same pink or turquoise tank top on in practically every picture, I know we will always have a great story to tell.

It just goes to show, when you travel you just have to go with whatever happens! :)

Erica

Mariner of the Seas - 2004

Navigator of the Seas - 2005

Serenade of the Seas - APRIL 2007!!!!!!!!!!

We had a direct flight on our last cruies; however, I was sick for several days before the cruise. Our plane was delayed for several hours. I continued to be sick at the airport. Since it was a sraight flight, I didn't pack extra clothes in my carryon. I had to wash my clothes and dry them with the hand dryer in the restroom at the airport.

I have learned a lesson. I will always pack extra clothes in my carryon from now on.

In case you are wondering; I was NOT sick when I got on the ship. I had decided that if I were still sick on the day of the cruise, I would fly back home and go another day. I wouldn't wish sickness on anyonel.

My daughter and son-in-law flew to Barcelona to go on a cruise. They had a connecting flight in Atlanta. They arrived in Barcelona, but their luggage was left behind in Atlanta. Fortunately, they chose to stay in Barcelona for two nights. Their luggage arrived, via Paris, the day before they were to board the ship. The hotel manager told them it happens more often than not. Amazing!

Archived