Progresso Beach from Ship??

Funcouple

I have a few questions:

1. Once you're off of the ship, can you walk or do you need to take a cab to the beach? I understand that it's a long pier. How much for the cab if needed?

2. Where is the beach in relationship to the pier?

3. What's the favorite spot for food & beach together?

Thank you.

The beach is a three block walk from where the courtesy bus drops you.

My favorite restaurant is Le Saint Bonnet, across the Malecon (beach side street). They will serve you on the beach.

The deep fried whole snapper is excellent.

We were just there. I'd suggest taking the $2.00 double decker bus tour as soon as you are dropped off. You'll be dropped off from the ship on a bus to a shopping area, on the same sidewalk, you should see the double decker bus. Taking this little tour first (not very long) will give you a layout of exactly where the beach is, the businesses across from the beach, etc. And then when you get back just walk to the beach and go where you want.

Can we walk to the lighthouse in Progreso from the cruise ship pier? Are there any other lighthouses around Progreso?

I remember seeing it, but can't remember how far it was. Progresso is fairly small and I'm almost sure it would be within walking distance. If you take the $2.00 bus tour, you'll see it from there and then know how to walk to it. I don't recall more than 1, but I could be wrong.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I'm missing something. Where do you get the courtesy bus? We will be at Progresso for 1st time in August and the double decker bus and beach sound like just what we want. Just need to understand how to get to that point first.

Thanks,

hc

hc. The Progreso pier is 4.5 miles long. The water is quite shallow until you get way out requiring the long pier. The courtesy bus will trasport you to the middle of Progreso. Then the beach is only a short 3 block walk. No snorkling since the water is not like the sparkling clear water of the Caribbean.

I'm missing something. Where do you get the courtesy bus? We will be at Progresso for 1st time in August and the double decker bus and beach sound like just what we want. Just need to understand how to get to that point first.

Thanks,

hc

The courtesy busses will be waiting at the end of the pier where the ship docks. Just follow the signs once you get off the ship.

• 2 weeks later...
The courtesy busses will be waiting at the end of the pier where the ship docks. Just follow the signs once you get off the ship.

I just got back from my cruise that went to Progresso. From where the ship docks, all you can see if the little collection of shops that you must walk through to get to the free buses. Whether you see the signs or not, make sure you walk through the shops or you'll never find the buses. The free bus system is run by a company that's hoping you'll use your 5 minute ride to look at the flyer they hand you gettin gon advertising their tour offerings (like $25pp to Merida). Then, they drop you off at a flee market near the beach right at their tour offerings stand. Hey, whatever it takes to have a courtesy bus system is worth it. I wouldn't want to have to walk that far!

• 11 years later...