Need help in planning a cruise for February 2008

Janiekins

Just got back from my first cruise in February w/ my husband and 2 teenage sons (16 & 17). We had a wonderful time. We cruised on the Carnival Miracle - Western Caribbean cruise out of Tampa, FL.

We would like to plan another family cruise for next February. Should we stick w/ Carnival or maybe try something a little more upscale like Royal Caribbean or something else? We would like to cruise out of Florida or Puerto Rico. Since we already did the Western Caribbean should we try Southern or Eastern Caribbean. Are there any 7 day cruises thru the Panama Canal? Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Just got back from my first cruise in February w/ my husband and 2 teenage sons (16 & 17). We had a wonderful time. We cruised on the Carnival Miracle - Western Caribbean cruise out of Tampa, FL.

We would like to plan another family cruise for next February. Should we stick w/ Carnival or maybe try something a little more upscale like Royal Caribbean or something else? We would like to cruise out of Florida or Puerto Rico. Since we already did the Western Caribbean should we try Southern or Eastern Caribbean. Are there any 7 day cruises thru the Panama Canal? Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Love the Southern and Eastern itineraries. The shortest I have seen a canal cruise is 10 days. If sailing in February, you may be able to get a great deal! Airfare to Puerto Rico is usually pricey and I would suggest leaving from Florida as they get a lot of air traffic, so flights are cheaper. RCCL upscale? No, just different. Depending on when you sail, the prices can be very competitive. Just a different class of service and we enjoy the food more on RCCL and feel the service is a bit more to our liking. :D

No right or wrong answer here. You really can't go wrong. Especially if you stick with the Big 3 of NCL, RCI, Carnival.

First thing I'd do is visit a different place. You did the Western, so why not try other destinations?

NCL does have one thing different and that is freestyle dining. No set dinner times, this is my next cruise and my first time trying it that way.

Maybe next is try a different boat. Not familiar with Carnival or Miracle but you might as well try something else. Even sail with Carnival again, just a different boat. Maybe one of the Mega Ships?

Look at the sigs of other posters. They list their trips and you can see how they mix it up. Oh and welcome to your new addiction!

Hi there, Did you like the Miracle?

If you did it is doing a new itinerary for next Feb. It will be doing a southern itinerary of St. Martin, St. Lucia and St. Kitts.

We are actually booked on it for next Feb. 27 2008, it will sail out of Fort Lauderdale.

Oh yes it is also an 8 day cruise, with four sea days.

Catch you later.

Hello,

The Panama Canal is in the DO NOT MISS category of places to see on a cruise. While a Panama Canal cruise is 10 days or more, you really should consider seeing the Canal.

Hope that this helps.

Fred

Yes, I'd try a Royal Carib. ship next time. Your sons will enjoy those ships too. I wouldn't say they are really more upscale, but I think their ships are "classier". And food is better. We've done 3 cruises with my teenage daughter and her girlfriends. Their favorite itinerary was the Western Carib. She'd pick the Eastern next. The Southern was too port loaded for her taste. Plus flying all the way to San Juan was a lot more added time.

She loved staying in Miami the night before..added even more to the vacation experience for all of us. Lots of fun restaurants at Bayside Center for them to enjoy. Consider that. Everyone will wake up fresh and anxious to get to the ship. FUN!

Janiekins,

We're mostly HAL cruisers, but are open to all experiences. HAL in general may not be best for teenagers. However, a coworker is an RCI fan and she has had us looking at RCI cruises in Feb. 08. We found Radiance of the Seas which does a 6-day Western Caribbean and an 8-day Eastern. It sounds to us like itineraries that are congenial, and teenagers are apt to like the RCI experience (like I really know?). But, they have good itineraries, and the web site info on the ships is appealing. Who knows, you may find some HAL people on board with you!

RCI'ers (like Isujim), your thoughts?

Whatever you go with, happy cruising!

Archived