HELP! How is A/C controlled in Rhapsody's rooms??

Hi, Odd question, we are leaving in 1 day on Rhapsody of the Seas, and I wonder how the A/C is controlled? Is it like in a hotel where there is a unit on the wall and you control it and its loud? Or is it on a wall and its quiet? I'm hoping it is LOUD, you see my DH is an AWFUL :mad: snorer!! So if its quiet, I'm off to Wal-Marts as soon as we land in Houston Airport to load one in my suite case! Please I hope you can help me, my dream cruise is dependant on this info. I have a turbo fan in our bedroom at home that is on high 24/7 here in Michigan to muffle the awful sounds, ear plugs are not an option, I tried them and its too erie because you hear nothing, so the fan is saving my marriage :p Remember the ship is Rhapsody, and we are in an oceanview room! I hope you come through like you so many times in the past :D

Thanks everyone!!!! :)

Lorie, bad news for you, it is controlled on the wall and is quiet. So when you get to Galveston tomorrow, go over to Walmart and pick up a fan or something else to drown out the noise.

Thanks Kathy, fancy seeing you here :p I was hoping for the loud sounds :( I hope they are selling them in Texas!!! Certainly not here in Michigan, still space heaters :eek:

Lori, trust me, fans are sold in Texas year round, so you won't have a problem finding one. There is also a Home Depot on Galveston also. So don't bother trying to pack it.

You can always ship it home after the cruise if you want to keep it. There is a post office in Galveston. If you don't want to ship it or to carry it home in your luggage, I'd be glad to donate it for you. Several agencies in town distribute fans to the elderly and disabled during the summer who don't have air conditioning.

My brother runs a air filter all night in his room--very loud--to drown out snoring of my SIL. I may be sleeping on the balcony during the cruise. :D

Thanks Kathy, fancy seeing you here :p I was hoping for the loud sounds :( I hope they are selling them in Texas!!! Certainly not here in Michigan, still space heaters :eek:

Yes it is nice and warm here in Texas (Houston for me) and fans are available at Wally World.

Depending upon if you fly into IAH or HOU you may want to go to Galveston before shopping. Assuming you are spending Saturday night at a hotel, they can likely steer you to the nearest shop. If memory serves correctly and you grab a rental car at IAH, you can go up to 1960, a bit north of the Airport and I believe off the IH-45 end going on 1960 East you will run into a Walmart not too far down. That is not my neck of the woods so you might go ahead and ask when you pick up the car and they can give more precise directions.

Enjoy the cruise. Know that on Sunday we are about 30% likely to see rain around the area, but Saturday should be nice so enjoy your time in Houston before the cruise.

Actually, if you just take I-45S from the airport, there is a Walmart off of the West Road exit, which is the first exit after you get on I-45S. Just don't stop there if it is near or after dark.

There are two other Walmarts on I45S after the Houston Hobby airport before you get to Galveston. I'm sorry, I don't remember the exit names/numbers.

In Galveston there is also a Target and Walgreens, both of which sell fans.

Actually, if you just take I-45S from the airport, there is a Walmart off of the West Road exit, which is the first exit after you get on I-45S. Just don't stop there if it is near or after dark.

There are two other Walmarts on I45S after the Houston Hobby airport before you get to Galveston. I'm sorry, I don't remember the exit names/numbers.

In Galveston there is also a Target and Walgreens, both of which sell fans.

I wouldn't shop the one near Hobby alone at any time or after dark.

Galveston is probably the safest one of the ones we have mentioned.

Lori, trust me, fans are sold in Texas year round, so you won't have a problem finding one. There is also a Home Depot on Galveston also. So don't bother trying to pack it.

You can always ship it home after the cruise if you want to keep it. There is a post office in Galveston. If you don't want to ship it or to carry it home in your luggage, I'd be glad to donate it for you. Several agencies in town distribute fans to the elderly and disabled during the summer who don't have air conditioning.

My brother runs a air filter all night in his room--very loud--to drown out snoring of my SIL. I may be sleeping on the balcony during the cruise. :D

Kathy donating it sounds wonderful!! Especially for the elderly, my sister is a hospice nurse for nursing homes and she said there are so many older people who are all alone, widowed or never had kids :( so they don't have much of anything. Great idea :) , thank you so much!! I wish we had a balcony but Tony said it wasn't worth the extra :(

I wouldn't shop the one near Hobby alone at any time or after dark.

Galveston is probably the safest one of the ones we have mentioned.

Thanks for the tip, Targets is perfect!! The Hobby area sounds like our Detroit area :( I'm glad were coming into Bush now! Will there be a liquor store in Galveston? I think I would prefer to do all our shopping right in town, we are staying at Gaido's Seaside Inn if that helps :confused: I think I will bring my palm pilot, it has a GPS in it, I just have to load the Texas maps :) - Great one more thing to bring :p

FYI, DH is a loud snorer and tried the snoring strips and spray. Helped some. He was later diagnosed with sleep apnea & now has a CPAC machine which goes with us cruising. No more snoring & he's resting a lot better (so am I). Went to a sleep clinic to be tested & he was waking up, unknown to him, a very large number of times during the night. He feels a lot better now. Have a great cruise!

FYI, DH is a loud snorer and tried the snoring strips and spray. Helped some. He was later diagnosed with sleep apnea & now has a CPAC machine which goes with us cruising. No more snoring & he's resting a lot better (so am I). Went to a sleep clinic to be tested & he was waking up, unknown to him, a very large number of times during the night. He feels a lot better now. Have a great cruise!

I have heard of this, but he doesn't wake up at all during sleep- he did try strips and even some throat spray, nothing worked sadly :mad: , so my turbo fan is somewhat a relief, but still so bad my daughter hears him in her room down the hall with my fan on!!! :eek: Good for you with the cpac, I heard Rosie O'Donnell talking about it on The View and she loves it!!!

Lori, if worse comes to worse, you can join me in sleeping on the balcony!! :D

There are liquor stores and places that sell liquor in Galveston. However, I think Texas may have some type of blue laws that affect liquor sales on Sundays. I don't drink alcoholic beverages, so I'm not sure, but I recall something about that. Perhaps someone else knows. But if you get your beverages on Saturday after you get to Galveston, then you shouldn't have a problem. I understand that RCCL frowns on bringing "outside" liquor onboard, so be prepared that it might be taken and held for the cruise.

I'll also be glad to take the fan to donate for you if you decide you don't want to schlepp it home--we can exchange stateroom numbers at the Meet and Mingle.

Have a safe trip and see you onboard!! :)

I have heard of this, but he doesn't wake up at all during sleep- he did try strips and even some throat spray, nothing worked sadly :mad: , so my turbo fan is somewhat a relief, but still so bad my daughter hears him in her room down the hall with my fan on!!! :eek: Good for you with the cpac, I heard Rosie O'Donnell talking about it on The View and she loves it!!!

DH didn't actually wake up either, to his knowledge. But in reality, it was disturbing deep sleep hundreds of times during the night. They found this out when he spent the night at a sleep clinic, hooked up to equipment. It was recommended by our primary care physician. The main sign is very loud snoring. Interrupts deep sleep and can be cause serious health conditions also. We also have several male friends who have it also. May be worth discussing with a dr.

Homedics makes a great sound machine with white noise, the ocean, rainfall, etc. The styles vary. I think Bed, Bath & Beyond carries the one that is lightweight & packable. I also have one from Sharper Image, however, it cost 3X as much as the Homedics. My husband also snores and they are a super invention.

Archived