Transport Milan airports to genoa

mary.g

We wil be going on the Rhapsody in September. I am trying to finalise flights etc and at this time it appears Milan airports are more a better proposition than Genoa. Does anyone know if there is a coach service from Linate/Malpensa to Genoa? Any suggestions re hotels close to the cruise ship terminal? Thanks for your input. Mary

Hello,

before you book both ways: on your return: MSC offers direct transfers from the ship to Malpensa.

Once a day there is a direct service from Malpensa Airport to Genoa Piazza Principe station.

Check Volpi-Bus. The bus is leaving 11.30 hrs from Terminal 1 of Malpensa-Airport and arrives Genoa 14.25 hrs.

Another option will be he hire a car and drive yourself to Genoa. You need about 2 hours. Driving is easy and safe there. But highways are to be paid.

If you dislike to drive yourself there is another option:

Use the bus services to Milano Centrale (Milan Central Station).

You must find at Terminal 1 the exit no. 6:

MXPAusgang-vi.jpg

There you will find two buses - operated by two different bus companies - one left and one right:

MXPHaltestellen-vi.jpg

Now two drivers will run to you and will try to carry you in their bus. Check out at this time for departure time and price...

It's like on a market...

When you arrive at Milano Centrale you should take the train to Genova PP (Piazza Principe).

Check schedule information at http://www.trenitalia.com.

If you know your schedule and want to make reservation I would book via Internet and collect the tickets at this yellow machine:

MusCvBahnhofAutomat-vi.jpg

Do not forget to validate your ticket at this yellow machine:

MusCvEntwerter-vi.jpg

If you have a lot of baggage you should use a taxi to the cruise terminal (Stazione Marittime - the most beautiful cruise terminal...).

If you have only so much that you can carry yourself follow this route:

Find the signs to platform 1s and 2s in the lower platforms (Stazione Sotterranea).

GEPPZugangGleis121-vi.jpg

There is lift and escalator available until the lower platforms.

... to be continued...

2nd part...

When arrived at platform 1s and 2s when you are here:

GEPPZugangGleis123-vi.jpg

Go left or right towards M Principe until you find this exit:

GEPPAusgangStaMarunten-vi.jpg

If you can handle your baggage over this stairway:

GEPPAusgangStaMaroben3-vi.jpg

then you are here:

GEPPAusgangStaMaroben2-vi.jpg

and the white historical building in the back of the fence and the bridge is STAZIONE MARITTIMA - Genoa's Cruise Terminal. It's right of this gate - crossing the street - left turn crossing the street - under the elevated - over the underpath (one level - no ups and downs!!!) and you are just in front of the cruise terminal.

GEPPAusgangStaMaroben1-vi.jpg

(The fence at the entrance to the lower platform is on the right side - and there you see the elevated street - and the bridge - and the terminal...)

Regards,

HeinBloed

we are on the musica in April, we have msc getting us from the ship to the airport the cost is $50 Australian each, we have also booked a hotel called the Golden Tulip just type in Genoa and then hotels and there is lots to choose from, different prices on diffent sites so look at them all,Hein I know youve answered one of my questions before but if you dont mind can you let me know if you think the wine packages are good value as we normaly drink wine with our evening meal

Hein I know youve answered one of my questions before but if you dont mind can you let me know if you think the wine packages are good value as we normaly drink wine with our evening meal

Good Day,

here you are (January 2007):

WinePackage1-vi.jpgWinePackage2-vi.jpg

As I am not a wine drinker this is one of the few questions I cannot respond. But if you are one: you will feel very comfortable in their wine restaurant L'ENOTECA.

If it is only the amount: the reference price if you buy it bottle by bottle is mentioned in the pictures.

If it is the quality or taste of wine: Sorry!!! NO IDEA!!! Our friends (one is wine-dealer) found it ok and ordered it.

But you can check yourself:

MusBevPack-vi.jpg

After check-in in the waiting lounge all wines are displayed and you can see if you like to order.

Regards,

HeinBloed

N.B. Did not we talked regarding the shore excursions. I send you a "larger" mail with a pdf-attachment but have not heared from you anything. Did you receive it??? Or maybe not accepted by your provider. But I did not get any non-delivery notice!

HeinBloed You are truly amazing. You get an A+ for the incredible presentation you did. I appreciate all the hard work. We will definitely find our way to the ship now! I am still considering all options re getting to Genoa. Our trip originates in Vancouver.We will fly to London for a connection to either Milan or Nice. I have never been to Nice so am keen to do that. I believe the scenery from Nice to Genoa is quite spectacular. Just a pity one can't buy tickets online directly from SNCF. Once again thank you sooooo very much. Mary

Going back to the question of getting to Genoa from Malpensa airport: when we cruised with MSC in May 2005 we bought our air from them as well, so that included tranfers from Malpensa to Genoa. We almost had a coach to ourselves! - just my wife & I, and two young women.

As I recall, the transfer took approaching two hours. Most of the journey was pretty boring. The first section (30 minutes, maybe a bit longer) was all on the autostrada around Milano: I think Malpensa is actually some disance to the NW of Milan. Then there was a further long stretch across the huge north Italian plain. However the last 30 minutes or so was spectacular, as we dropped down to the coast through the Ligurian alps. This was very beautiful, with dramatic views and perspectives as the coach rounded sharp bends through the valleys. The road crosses numerous viaducts and goes through several tunnels, and this was very interesting. There's no real climb up into the alps - you don't realise that the plain itself has been gradually rising for many, many kilometers - but then you drop down all the way to sea level.

Once at Genoa the coach took us straight to the check-in location on the dock, and I would say that we were on the ship within 10 minutes of getting off the coach.

One other advantage of using the MSC transfer is luggage-handling, of course. After we handed our luggage to the coach driver at Malpensa we didn't have to touch it or worry about it again. It was delivered to our cabin about an hour after we had entered it ourselves.

I have never been to Nice so am keen to do that. I believe the scenery from Nice to Genoa is quite spectacular. Just a pity one can't buy tickets online directly from SNCF. Once again thank you sooooo very much. Mary

Hello and thank you for your compliments!

Have you tried

http://www.sncf.fr (The French Railways Group)

or

http://www.voyages-sncf.com (French Railways' Travel Agency)

I tried to test the second. Unfortunately it's only in French possible. But due to technical problem I cannot confirm actually if you can or cannot book as foreigner.

But shall I make your life easier???

Check the website of Nice Airport...

There is a daily direct coach service from Nice Airport to Genoa available.

It's operated by Diana Tours.

If you want to stay overnight in Genoa: I can recommend the Soglia Hotel - it's opposite of the GENOVA PP station and it's affordable. If you do not have to much baggage you can walk from station to hotel and from hotel to cruise terminal.

The NOVOTEL is a good hotel but nothing for those travellers without car as it's not in walking distance (with baggage) to cruise terminal or station.

Regards,

HeinBloed

However the last 30 minutes or so was spectacular, as we dropped down to the coast through the Ligurian alps. This was very beautiful, with dramatic views and perspectives as the coach rounded sharp bends through the valleys. The road crosses numerous viaducts and goes through several tunnels, and this was very interesting. There's no real climb up into the alps - you don't realise that the plain itself has been gradually rising for many, many kilometers - but then you drop down all the way to sea level.

... If you see the topograhy of Genoa you might understand and want to experience yourself what tom_uk is talking about... He is totally right! And the best place to discover will be on deck of your ship when you are leaving Genoa - just breathtaking... - but as he did (like we did) driving your self the last section before you are getting "down" to Genoa is really a great experience. You are driving in North Italy. Not worse than driving in Toronto!!!

GEView-vi.jpg

Regards,

HeinBloed

We did a cruise out of Savona. Flew into Milan and then stayed a few nights in Santa Margerita which is by Portofino. Fantastic area...walked about 5 k to Portofino. There is a local bus if that kind of distance is a problem. Then took the train to Savona from there. You can probably do the same kind of trip for Genoa..the Italian train system has a good website.

Enjoy....

1411668332_2day26.jpg.e2c7c4da5215bd8c795e8098254e7b52.jpg

Mary:

If you are flying from Vancouver to London, I'd possibly look into the flights from London Stansted directly to Genoa, two per day on Ryanair.

The only problem is the limited luggage allowance with them as a budget airline.

You can then get into town by Volpi bus 100 to the bus station outside the Stazione Principe, an area where there are loads of hotels close to the cruise terminal that MSC uses.

In September 2004, we went this way and stayed at the Hotel Agnello D'Oro before boarding the MSC Opera.

Mary:

If you are flying from Vancouver to London, I'd possibly look into the flights from London Stansted directly to Genoa, two per day on Ryanair.

I you or your travel agency are not building up your flight itineries yourself and accept that your luggage will not be shipped through (AC's policy for connecting flights on seperate tickets!): nobody will normally buy a ticket for the second lag with Ryanair as they understand themselves as a point-to-point-service without any ticket- or baggage-exchange with any other airline - even not with themselves!

Regards,

HeinBloed

• 2 weeks later...

We are sailing on Musica on the 8th of April and I am trying to get last minute info (I will be studying it on a long trans-atlantic flight) about ship, transportation, excursions, etc.

Please, help!

We are sailing on Musica on the 8th of April and I am trying to get last minute info (I will be studying it on a long trans-atlantic flight) about ship, transportation, excursions, etc.

Please, help!

Hmm... how should I help if you do not be more concrete...

Ship see my photo album:

http://public.fotki.com/HeinBloed/msc-musica

Transportation: if you can tell how and where and when and so on and son on...

Itinery: Genoa - Naples - Palermo - Tunis - Palma de Mallorca - Barcelona - Marseille - Genoa...

What kind of excursions: do you like shore excursions - do you want private tours - do you want DIY???

Regards,

HeinBloed

We are flying into Milan at 11:30 the day before and planning to take a train to Genoa...

We only cruise(d) once many years ago and I do not know what to ask about the ship - any tips would be welcome. Someone had mentioned a supper pdf file you had shared. Is it available?

As for tours: did you take MSC-offered tours? What you liked/disliked about them? Is there a different option to get a city tour for a few hours before we start wonder aroud ourselves?

The network I am on right now blocks the images, so I will check out your photo albom later.

Is there a way to exchange private emails?

Thank you for your help in advance,

Dao.

We are flying into Milan at 11:30 the day before and planning to take a train to Genoa...

see above...

We only cruise(d) once many years ago and I do not know what to ask about the ship - any tips would be welcome.

Uff - different to tell.

Try the speciality restaurants (Sushi, Italian and Wine): all three are great - you'll miss something.

All shows are great!!!

I should know what kind of tips you want...

Someone had mentioned a supper pdf file you had shared. Is it available?

Generally: yes - but it will not help you. It refers to another itineries (Eastern Med).

As for tours: did you take MSC-offered tours?

Two of them

What you liked/disliked about them?

I liked the comfort of not taking care of anything.

But I dislike the limited time at the destination as compared to 2 1/2 transit to 1 1/2 hours stay at destination is too short.

Picnic too bad!

Toilets became attraction as you must always wait someone is returning from the toilets.

Bilingual bus to make more profit!

Stupid organisation that all groups went the same route i/o having the groups allocated to four points of the circle and then to start from different points.

Partly extremely expensive. So limit to visa requirements only.

Is there a different option to get a city tour for a few hours before we start wonder aroud ourselves?

What is great: you should have a guide in your stateroom. If you want to keep it - it costs 3 EUR - but you can just leave it there if you do not want to buy it.

The network I am on right now blocks the images, so I will check out your photo albom later.

Is there a way to exchange private emails?

There is: CRUISECRITIC (at) nickname-onboard.de

Please replace nickname by my forum's nickname.

Thank you for your help in advance,

Dao.

You are welcome!

Regards,

HeinBloed

Thank you HeinBloed,

Question # n+1:

An alternative to the MSC tours would be to get to the city center and look for a tour guide there...

Any comments?

Q n+2:

How Formal is a formal dress code on the ship?

Is a jacket w/tie good enough? What about ladies - cocktail dress or evening pants+blouse would be fine?

Thanks again,

Dao211

Question # n+1:

An alternative to the MSC tours would be to get to the city center and look for a tour guide there...

Any comments?

Well - we learned that in most of the ports there are taxi drivers who were offering at the berth their tours.

We booked our guides and cars in advance.

Q n+2:

How Formal is a formal dress code on the ship?

Is a jacket w/tie good enough? What about ladies - cocktail dress or evening pants+blouse would be fine?

33% came in tuxedo/cocktail dress

33% came in suit/evening dress

17% came in simple suit/dress

17% came too casual... but they did it only the very first formell night...

It's a recommendation and so MSC does not insist to have a tuxedo and will ask you to leave the restaurant. Except you are coming in shorts etc...

But to be honest: although the lobster is already killed and will not complain... but would you like to "honour" such a nice meal by too casual dresses???

Regards,

HeinBloed

• 6 months later...

Thank you Heinbloed for all your detailed advice and help.

I am concerned that if we take a bus, then a train from Malpense Airport, Milan to Genoa, we will not be able to watch our luggage while sitting in our seats on the train, as presumably the luggage is stored at one end of the compartment/carriage.

How do people resolve this problem please? Perhaps it is better to take the Volpi bus?

Also, do we need to reserve seats on the train before arriving in Milan, and how far in advance should we book? We are travelling from Australia in November to sail on the Orchestra.

Regards,

Karipatta

Following suggestion:

why do not you just rent a car and drive yourself to Genoa???

The route from Milan to Genoa is easy to drive.

Just the last few miles when you are getting from the mountains to the seaside is somehow pittoresque and challenging. But we did it also without damages.

The good thing is:

MSC accepted baggage already from 07.00 am while check-in opens at 10.00/10.30 am.

I would just drive in front of the Stazione Marittima (the most beautiful cruise terminal building I know), drop-off your baggage and then return the car

(weekdays in the city center / weekend at the airport of Genoa)

and then go some sightseeing before checkin in and boarding???

It would make your life much more easier...

Best regards,

HeinBloed

Wow, that was a quick reply - thank you!

I would prefer not to drive as our steering wheel is on the right side, rather than the left, and we will have just flown something like 16 hours (probably without much sleep!).

We are arriving a few days before the ship sails, so we are staying in a hotel in Genoa, and planning to go there virtually straight from the airport in Milan.

I am concerned about the suitcases while we are on the train - is there any way around this problem, other than catching the bus?

Thanks,

Karipatta

Do not worry too much about your baggage. You can also buy a bike-lock or such one you use for a notebook.

There are 6-seat-compartments and you can order your reservations 2 monthes in advance.

Unfortunately VOLPI Bus is the ONLY service to Genoa from Malpensa.

The other way via Milano Centrale (Milan Central Station) is more stressful.

Good luck and have a great trip on MSC ORCHESTRA.

Regards,

HeinBloed

Thank you again Heinbloed.

I think if I already feel stressed about the train from Centrale, I will feel 10 times worse on the day!! (I have not had good experiences travelling on Italian trains!).

However, I will discuss the possibility of a 6 seat compartment with my traveling companion.

Cheers,

Karipatta

There is another way to get from the US, UK or Europe to Genoa. We booked our flights with Delta, which has "codeshares" with Air France. We leave at 10:00 p.m. from Washington, DC to Paris (Charles De Gaulle). Three hours after arriving in Paris we connect to Genoa on Brit Air (which has a code-share with Delta and Air France so we expect they will check our luggage through). When we arrive in Genoa, unless HeinBloed advises against, we're planning to take the Volabus 100 from the Genoa Airport to the Principe train station, then walk to the Hotel Bellevue which is 50 meters from the train station. The next morning we're planning to visit the Genoa aquarium on foot, then return to Hotel Bellevue to get our luggage. Then we are planning to walk to the ship terminal (all our suitcases have wheels) or take a taxi if the weather is bad or it seems too far to walk with our luggage. If HeinBloed or anyone else who knows Genoa thinks this is a bad plan or recommends against Hotel Bellevue, please post a reply. By the way, on our return we have only 90 minutes to connect at Charles de Gaulle airport. We realize we may miss that connection but because it is a Delta/Air France connection we would expect them to pay for a hotel for the night (and we'll take the Air France bus into Paris and enjoy a ride on the bateau mouche and an expensive dinner in Montmartre).

Archived