A few Crown questions...

barbface1

We are cruising on the Crown in May (1st princess cruise but 11th cruise overall). We have booked a minisuite on the dolphin deck. This is the first time I will be cruising with a balcony and I am very excited but I have a few questions.

1. Do minis have bigger balconies than the balcony cabins?

2. What kind of furniture is on these balconys?

3. Are the doors to the balcony sliding or not?

4. Can the doors be propped open...if so how?

5. We have anytime dining and are crusing with a party of 6 (one of which is my 1 year old son). We are plannin gon eating around 6:30pm and plan on making a standing reservation. Is it possible to make a standing reservation? Should I tip the MD in the beginning of the cruise while making this standing reservation? How much do I pretip?

6. We are cruising out on Brooklyn (we are local and dont have to fly) and I was not planning on bring a car seat for my son so we were planning on only doing things that we can walk to from the ship....anyone know of beaches or attractions that are walking distance at grand truk, st thomas, san juan, and bermuda?

I thank you in advance for your help....

You can make a standing reservation in Anytime - just ask. We did see folks with reservations waiting longer than those that just show up. We sat at the same table every night without a reservation (party of 2). No need to tip, although maitre de was surprised when we gave him an envelope at the end of the cruise.

Grand Turk is all-beach. The pier is pretty much all by itself with a few shops around it. Swimming is a bit better farther away. You could even walk across the island and swim on the other side in 15 minutes.

Beaches in San Juan are pretty high surf, although you could go to the Condado Plaza hotel. This is on the inlet to the east of the old San Juan island. Very sheltered small public beach between the causeway and the hotel. Wouldn't want to walk it, but you can see the ship from the beach.

St Thomas beaches are not near the port, but assuming you are going into Crown Bay you can take the ferry over to Water Island from the adjacent marina. Honeymoon Beach is just over the hill, second driveway to the right. We were the only people there except for the folks stocking the bar for the weekend. Very sheltered bay. Search for Water Island Visitor Guide for more info.

We are cruising on the Crown in May (1st princess cruise but 11th cruise overall). We have booked a minisuite on the dolphin deck. This is the first time I will be cruising with a balcony and I am very excited but I have a few questions.

1. Do minis have bigger balconies than the balcony cabins?

The Dolphin deck balcony is not as large as the Caribe Deck right above you. It's still a pretty decent size. The balcony is not covered at all. People above can see you, and you can turn around and see people above you. Watch for the flying cigarette butts!! The good point is that the room is very nice sized, 2 televisions, and you get a full bathtub.

2. What kind of furniture is on these balconys?

One lounger, 2 metal chairs, and a small round table.

3. Are the doors to the balcony sliding or not?

Sliding.

4. Can the doors be propped open...if so how?

Just leave them open.

5. We have anytime dining and are crusing with a party of 6 (one of which is my 1 year old son). We are plannin gon eating around 6:30pm and plan on making a standing reservation. Is it possible to make a standing reservation? Should I tip the MD in the beginning of the cruise while making this standing reservation? How much do I pretip?

You can make a standing reservation and don't need to pretip the MD,you can if you want to. You may not even want to do the standing reservation. The buffet was also very good.

6. We are cruising out on Brooklyn (we are local and dont have to fly) and I was not planning on bring a car seat for my son so we were planning on only doing things that we can walk to from the ship....anyone know of beaches or attractions that are walking distance at grand truk, st thomas, san juan, and bermuda?

Grand Turk--when you get off the ship, walk straight and you will be in Margaritaville. HUGE 3 foot pool available for free, lots of lounge chairs, music, drinks, and snacks available as well.

St. Thomas--I would book a tour through Godfrey tours. We did last year and loved it. 2 hours shopping, 2 hours sightseeing, and 2 hours at your choice of beach for like $25. Shopping center is right there at the dock if you don't want to tour.

San Juan--Just walk around old San Juan. Quaint shops, etc.

Bermuda--Haven't been there yet. This year will be the first.

I thank you in advance for your help....

I hope this helps you somewhat!

Beaches in Bermuda are not witin walking of the pier you will dock at. You will have to catch a ferry to hamilton and then a bus to the beach. Or, St. Georges also has nice beach which is about a 20 min. walk from town but since you dock at the Dockyard, you will still need to ferry on over there.

Did I read this correct, mini suite balconies on the Dolphin floor are not covered? Are there any mini suite rooms that have balconies that a partial covered?

Emerald Deck Minis are covered on Grand/Super Grand Class Ships.

We cruised with our family last June along with our 11 month old Granddaughter. In old San Juan the Crown docked in perfect area. We just put the baby in her stroller and walked up to Fort Morrow and all over Old San Juan to stores and sites. She was fantastic. The car seat issue was worrisome. We did risk it in St. Thomas and got on an open air truck/taxi and went to Megan's bay. She was fine on this mode of transporation too. We just put her in the middle on Mom's lap. In Bermuda there IS a beach within a very short walk from the ship. Here is a link: http://www.bermuda.com/beacheswatersports/beaches/

The beach to walk to is Snorkle Park and it was perfect! The water was beautiful there was a very clean restaurant and restrooms. There was a big slide floating in the water for bigger kids (and adults too!). There is an old fort on the side of the small beach which gave shade later in the morning when the baby was napping. Perfect place to bring little ones!

In Grand Turk we walked past Margaritaville which was load and crowded. We caught a taxi to Governors Beach. The baby was fine again because the van went pretty slow and it was only a 2-3 mile ride. It could be walked but the sun was really, really hot! Worth going to this beach it is absolutely beautiful and you can see the Crown sitting in the background. If you have any other questions please email me at: sheannb@hotmail.com.

You can make a standing reservation in Anytime - just ask. We did see folks with reservations waiting longer than those that just show up. We sat at the same table every night without a reservation (party of 2). No need to tip, although maitre de was surprised when we gave him an envelope at the end of the cruise.

Grand Turk is all-beach. The pier is pretty much all by itself with a few shops around it. Swimming is a bit better farther away. You could even walk across the island and swim on the other side in 15 minutes.

Beaches in San Juan are pretty high surf, although you could go to the Condado Plaza hotel. This is on the inlet to the east of the old San Juan island. Very sheltered small public beach between the causeway and the hotel. Wouldn't want to walk it, but you can see the ship from the beach.

St Thomas beaches are not near the port, but assuming you are going into Crown Bay you can take the ferry over to Water Island from the adjacent marina. Honeymoon Beach is just over the hill, second driveway to the right. We were the only people there except for the folks stocking the bar for the weekend. Very sheltered bay. Search for Water Island Visitor Guide for more info.

LeeW, Did you visit other beaches on water island? Did you do any snorkling? How does it compare to Sapphire or Coki?

Archived