TP - Non-Ship Tips in FP

coconutpig

Can someone help us with our "tips" planning on FP...not on the ship

The guidebooks say not to tip in FP but IN REALITY do any of the following expect tips:

- taxi

- hotel staff - (ie for luggage)

- Excursions thru Princess

- Non-Princess Excursions (ie, Marc, Bruno, Stephane, TopDive.....tips extra here?)

Thank you!

Here's what I've heard about it...this is mainly for booking clients at land-based resorts, though. The tour companies always told me that US dollars are not widely accepted, and to have spending money converted into FPF. One couple that recently returned from the Pearl Beach Bora Bora told me that they had to pay in FPF or by credit card for just about everything local. They did tip the resort staff, boat drivers, and off-property restaurant/guide staff. They also told me it was the most expensive place they'd ever been (I tried to warn them!) Locals like taxi drivers, hotel porters, and shops want FPF, as it is a hassle for them to convert dollars. Local tour/excursion companies might take them, though. Hope this helps!

Tahiti is not a place where one usually tips. It is not part of their culture but when the locals are dealing with the cruise ship passengers, they know that most people are used to tipping and so are quite happy to take tips.

It is the same here in Australia. No-one tips and it is not part of our every day life but if someone is given a tip they are certainly not going to hand it back. It is up to you.

Jennie

Archived