Soup recipes

lespaul66

We recently returned from the Mexican Riviera on the Oosterdam. We loved their chilled blueberry soup as well as their 3 berry soup. Does anyone have these recipes? Thanks

Have you done a recipe search on the Web? Usually I find things at allrecipes dot com, williamssonoma dot com, or epicurious dot com. Or, give the Food Network a try. It might not be HAL's recipe, but you can probably find something close.

I would imagine the 3 berry soup would be blueberry, raspberry, and strawberry or blackberry.

I just checked my copy of A Taste of Excellence and sorry but neither the Blueberry nor the Three Berry Soup recipes are included. You could try the HAL site.

Click On Board Experience;

Then Click Dining;

And, finally, click Recommended Taste.

They have a number of HAL recipes there.

• 2 weeks later...

I have the 3-berry soup recipe given to me by the chef on the Oosterdam: (actually I'm pretty sure it was the Prinsendam)

Chilled Three-berry Soup

1.33 pounds each strawberries, raspberries, blackberries, fresh or frozen

1/2 gallon fruit juice--it wasn't specified; I use orange juice

1.25 quarts heavy cream

2 oz honey

1/4 quart dry white wine

1/8 cup lemon juice

Put everything in the blender, puree well; strain if desired.

Finally, the chilled soup should then be blended, before serving, with strawberry ice cream-- to 1 gallon of the above soup add 1 quart of ice cream.

I did notice in the HAL cookbook that their fruit soup uses sour cream; not ice cream. It's quite a different recipe, although I think the tastes aren't all that different from the ones made from the above recipe. Since that's a published, copyrighted recipe, I don't think I should offer it online.

All of the fruit soups were essentially this recipe--our dining steward handed me several sheets of paper that someone carefully typed out (not off a computer printout!) and each soup varied only in slight changes in quantity of fruit and what ice cream to use.

The mango gazpacho is delicious - I make it using peaches and diet ginger ale for all of the liquid (to cut down on the sugar). Very pretty presentation for guests and you can make it ahead of time.

Funny how tastes are so different.

I used to love HAL's gazpacho. Then they changed to serving Mango Gazpacho and I found it way too sweet for my taste.

I have recipes of my own I use at home on hot summer nights but I miss having it on the ships.

Archived