Hurricane Season

Technically, Hurricane Season runs from June 1 through November 30. It is now August, 2004, and Hurricane Alex has become the first "official" hurricane of the season. They say that Tropical Storm Bonnie MAY develop into a hurricane. Sept through mid-Dec. (except over Thanksgiving) Caribbean cruises have the cheapest prices of the year, because the weather can be "iffy". Last year, there were two Tropical Storms in December. Bottom line: you can get great or lousy weather at any time of the year.

We have always cruised during hurricane season and it hasn't been a problem yet! Last year there were a couple of extra ships in St. Thomas due to a storm on the western side.

Trust me, they won't sail those $350 million ships anywhere near a hurricane :D Go for it!!!

Ben

Hate to break it to you - I have been in hurricanes twice in my cruising career. The first was more than 30 years ago on the Sea Venture. We were at Bermuda and spent the storm tied up at the dock. Much more recently - less than 10 years ago, we experienced part of Hurricane Pauline on the Ryndam. This time, the port call was aborted and we went out to sea.

Both times I noticed the ship's officers out and about wearing what looked like dress uniforms for the duration of the storm. The Ryndam did bob about quite a bit and many were sea sick. The Sea Venture may not have moved as much , but the sounds made as the ship rode out the storm were something a Hollywood sound man might envy. There ARE times when the ship will go through a storm.

If your embarkation or debarkation port is near the storm, you may have to go through at least part of it.

If there is no other way to go you may go through part of the storm.

The storm is NOT a local event. The effects of the storm can be felt sometimes hundreds of miles from the official location of the storm. Tornadoes and water spouts are common byproducts of hurricanes.

Yes, the ship will do all that is humanly possible to avoid the worst of the storm. BUT hurricanes can and do change direction and/or intensity.

The last hurricane fatalities at sea that I am aware of happened were 31 members of the crew of Windjammers Fantome. Hurricane Mitch just kept getting stronger and changing direction. OK Fantome was a small underpowered ship. But the deaths do point to the dangers of hurricanes.

Yes, you can get lousy weather on any day - and during any season. But, a hurricane is more than just lousy weather.

Do I sail during hurricane season? Of course I do. The season spans half of the year! Am I aware of what a hurricane can do. Yes. And anyone who sails should respect the sea. The water may be beautiful, but it can turn into a monster on you. Just be aware.

The later into Hurrican Season, the better chance you will have of avoiding a hurricane or bad weather. We often cruise the last week of October or the first few weeks of November. Prices being increased over Thanksgiving don't stop cruise passengers from sailing, either. December prices before Christmas are probably amongst the lowest of the year and there are less children on most ships.

Bon Voyage

Archived