Lobster? On A Cruise Ship??

Piton1

I am unable to understand the obsession with "Lobster Night" on a cruise ship. I can hardly believe there is a gigantic tank full of thousands (because that's how many passengers there are) of live lobsters toodling along the seas nervously awaiting their fate. Most likely they are pre-cooked and frozen and reheated at service.

Why in the world would anyone be excited and anticipating this? A frozen, dried-out crustacean produced in a mass-market manner?

Why in the world would this be a "feature" of Formal Night, as I usually eat my lobster in a tee shirt and jeans because it's going to go all over the place? Do you get a bib for your tuxedo?

When I want a good lobster I go to the local fishmonger and take it home and cook it myself. I might even drink a delicious Colt 45 with it. But at least I know my lobster is FRESH!

I am unable to understand the obsession with "Lobster Night" on a cruise ship. I can hardly believe there is a gigantic tank full of thousands (because that's how many passengers there are) of live lobsters toodling along the seas nervously awaiting their fate. Most likely they are pre-cooked and frozen and reheated at service.

Why in the world would anyone be excited and anticipating this? A frozen, dried-out crustacean produced in a mass-market manner?

Why in the world would this be a "feature" of Formal Night, as I usually eat my lobster in a tee shirt and jeans because it's going to go all over the place? Do you get a bib for your tuxedo?

When I want a good lobster I go to the local fishmonger and take it home and cook it myself. I might even drink a delicious Colt 45 with it. But at least I know my lobster is FRESH!

I agree with you that the lobster is pre frozen and re-heated but its not always terrible tasting....and for the whole "feature" part of it, i think its more of the novelty of getting dressed up and enjoying a lobster as it is to us north-easterners who can readily get a fresh coldwater lobster year round

Despite that could be true...our lobster experiences have been great. They may not be those we have had in Maine but they sure have been good. And I HAVE eaten lobster many places....from live tanks....near the ocean or right here in Texas...and "frozen tails ain't so bad neither!" BUt in all seriousness, sometimes the beef wellington is just as tempting. Our lobster was a rock lobster cut in half....and oozing with butter. You could order two halves if you wanted. NCL did a fine job. Teppanyaki also had lobster on other nights. Frozen smaller variety...still good. Perhaps you are in a more desirable location for lobster.

This is really a funny little post, but it caught my eye and felt the urge to contribute. How fortunate you are that you have a fish monger that will provide you with a lovely fresh lobster. However I hope you realize that there is a big wide world out there and not all of us live on or near a coastal area, so for us Lobster (fresh or frozen) is a treat. By the way, Lobster is often frozen prior to cooking, so it is concievable that it was actually cooked only once prior to consumption on your cruise.

But never the less, if you came here and asked someone where the local fish monger was, they'd hand you a box of worms, a fishing pole, and tell you to watch out for the stingers on those catfish. If they even knew what a fish monger was.

While we may not have the variety of fresh seafood available those of you on the coast do. I can tell you that you'd be hard pressed to find better beef than we have here.

This is really a funny little post, but it caught my eye and felt the urge to contribute. How fortunate you are that you have a fish monger that will provide you with a lovely fresh lobster. However I hope you realize that there is a big wide world out there and not all of us live on or near a coastal area, so for us Lobster (fresh or frozen) is a treat. By the way, Lobster is often frozen prior to cooking, so it is concievable that it was actually cooked only once prior to consumption on your cruise.

But never the less, if you came here and asked someone where the local fish monger was, they'd hand you a box of worms, a fishing pole, and tell you to watch out for the stingers on those catfish. If they even knew what a fish monger was.

While we may not have the variety of fresh seafood available those of you on the coast do. I can tell you that you'd be hard pressed to find better beef than we have here.

I will gladly be your "beef tester" - you can send me as much of it as you like and my husband and I will evaluate and post our results here:D

mrleo33

That was pretty clairvoyant of you to know that I like catfish.;)

Don't tell me about the beef, I'd rather you tell me about the pork.

There is no flavor in the pork that is sold here. Flavor left about

15 years ago.

CamilleandNick

Thank you for your response. Yours comes the closest to answering

my question

I used to work in a fish market (in NJ)...the place was called the Lobster Farm, and had HUGE lobster tanks in the back. We also had a small restaurant, and I can tell you that any "tail" dinners we sold in the restaurant were frozen...this despite having "thousands of live lobsters toodling around" (not sure if it was really thousands, maybe hundreds, but same difference).

Perhaps because lobster (particularly in restaurants) tends to be rather pricey, and to get it "free" feels special?

I agree. Most of the time lobster is out of most people's price range, :eek: and they don't order it unless its a really special ocassion. I like eating lobster on the ship because not only is it "free" but I can eat as much as I want!!!!:D

Sadly, the Caribbean lobster we had on the Sun recently was dry and taste free. A disappointment. The first poor serving we ever had on NCL. They had a tank of fresh Maine lobsters as I recall in the specialty restaurant....

We were recently on Princess and had Cold Water lobster (from Nova Scotia and Quebec somebody said) and it was fresh in all the dining rooms on lobster night. That was a treat. (On boarding the first day, the left over lobsters were served cold for the Buffet diner crowd, we had a happy hour snack of the spiny treats.... mmmmm)

Come to NH where one can get a 1 1/2 lb lobster dinner with baked potato, slaw and rolls for $12.95 and many times they offer a double portion at $16.95 and the best part for all you NCL cruisers is that you can come in your "t" shirts and jeans as the place has formica tables and tile floors. No atmosphere but great lobster seven days a week 52 weeks a year.

Come to NH where one can get a 1 1/2 lb lobster dinner with baked potato, slaw and rolls for $12.95 and many times they offer a double portion at $16.95 and the best part for all you NCL cruisers is that you can come in your "t" shirts and jeans as the place has formica tables and tile floors. No atmosphere but great lobster seven days a week 52 weeks a year.

Would that be the Lobster Pot in Merrimack by any chance?

You must have been on a different cruise from mine. My lobster (although too small to be out without his mother), was delicious, well prepared, and far from dried out. His small size was more than made up for by the fact that I had three of them. Add to this the fact that I did not have to pay $40 for each of the little shelled creatures, and I felt pretty smart.

But, to each his own. There are some things I won't eat if I don't cook them, so I can understand the preference for lobster fixed your way.

Would that be the Lobster Pot in Merrimack by any chance?

There are a bunch of good places in Rhode Island too. Prices and food quality are wonderful. However, given the choice between RI and HI, I'll take HI every time.

Archived