Digital Camera - Burning to CD

jrask

I was on the Dawn Princess and the photo lab had capabilities to burn to a CD. They said they hadn't met a digital camera yet that they couldn't burn from. I did not keep the brochure on prices but believe it was $9.95 for 256MB to burn. Also, they could do the burn within a 24 hour turnaround.

Lisa

Yes, they have the capability. I have not used the service, but I seem to recall the price was $20 per burn, regardless of size. Remember that you will need two memory cards, as it is a 24 hour turn around.

I took advantage of in on the Star in March. It was a 30 day cruise and I brought 2 256mb disks. After a couple of days ashore I would take one to be downloaded. If they were busy they would have you come back 4-5 hours later. Luckily I did not need to show up at midnight because I had the other one ready to go and I had to be up at 6:00am for Viet Nam,Bombay, Luxor, the pyramids or whatever. I got over 600 pictures on the CD and all together I think it came to about 25.00-35.00. They charged 9.95 to sign up and so much for pictures. You had to turn in your final pictures before the last day ashore so I did not get Venice on the CD but for me the whole thing was great. Just be sure you delete the pictures on your disk once you have turned it over to the photo people.

the reason I ask is that last summer the Royal Princess could not burn from xD cards (I can't recall if they could from Smart media or not.) Just wondering how fast the line was keeping up with the newest technology.

I'm new to Digital but if you had your photos download to CD on the ship could you still add to the CD once on land with the remainder of the photos still in the camera.

Sorry, still deciding whether to go Digital or not

I'm new to Digital but if you had your photos download to CD on the ship could you still add to the CD once on land with the remainder of the photos still in the camera.

Sorry, still deciding whether to go Digital or not

Usually the disk is formatted such that you cannot add anything once the download is complete. CDs are cheap, so having multiple of a vacation is not a big deal.

I just checked http://www.pricegrabber.com (one means to compare prices on electronics gear), and you can get Sandisk 256Mb compact flash for $35. Be sure to compare the cost of the extra cards before your trip. Instead of relying on ship board services I just take a bunch cards along. Can me paranoid, but I'm not handing my cards over to anyone overnight. I got most of my extra cards by having my DW drop hints at Christmas time.

Cards with big capacities are becoming more common. However, be careful about putting all your eggs in one baskets. I shoot 5 megapixel, so that's 120 exposures per 256Mb card (I shot 500 shots over 10 days recently). I perfer using several small cards in case any of them has a problem. I recently noticed one of my Sandisk cards had something loose inside it when you shook it. They're very reliable, but not perfect.

We were on the Sapphire on 6/13/04. The photo shop service was great. We were brand new to digital photography & the staff willingly answered queries & helped us. They had a $9-95 service where you downloaded your Compact Flash card to their computer. You waited while they did it - took a couple minutes. Then they gave you your CF card back. If you still had space on your card you could take more photos without wiping the card.

This gave some security if you had the misfortune to loose or break your camera your photos up until that day were saved.

On the last night you just asked them to burn your CD for you. So up to 600MB of data was on the one CD.

We were very impressed with the service & the staff were just great to us.

Bronnie

I agree with the posters about buying additional memory cards. I generally take my laptop on cruises, but rarely do on land vacation where I will be moving around a lot. I purchased 2-512Mb cards for a trip to China at $50 after rebate, and took them along with an older 256Mb card. I have a 4 Megapixel camera, but rarely take photos larger than 3 Megapixels. I took well over 1000 photos and some short videos and didn't run out of storage. The price of memory cards has come down so much, and when you compare it to film and film development, it makes sense to have several large cards. Saying that, however, it's nice to have CD backup in addition to the memory cards when you pack and fly home.

Archived