Trip Insurance..Recommendations please

pcboston

Hi all,

I know this has been asked many times but I usually don't get insurance and this trip there are so many variables that I am thinking it might be a good idea. Could some of you tell me what companies are reputable and don't cost an arm and a leg for coverage? I get so confused trying to sort things out that I end up doing nothing, but this time we are 4 people traveling, one is a 4 yr. old, plus, we have a grandson in Iraq and with that situation, I don't even want to go now, but it has been booked and paid, we are all very stressed and probably need this break, so have decided to go. If anyone could tell me what they purchase and if they have had to file a claim for any reason, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks for any help you can give me...................happy sails

Iinsurance can be complicated. That said, it's worth it to me to do the work to buy the policy that best fits my needs for the specific cruise. This can change based on the number of days, age of travelers, total cost to be insured, available policies, coverage wanted, etc.

Here's a link to my webpage with general information about buying insurance: Insurance. The website is for a specific cruise but the chart can be used for any trip. I use an Excel spreadsheet set up like the chart. Email me if you'd like me to send you the Excel file so you can modify it for your own needs. Just click on the email link down in my signature.

I've bought insurance directly from the insurance company and through insuremytrip.com & tripinsurancestore.com as well as the policy offered at STA Insurance.

I've had to file claims with CSA for 4 people traveling together on one cruise. It took awhile and of course lots of paperwork but they paid everything. Fortunately that's the only time I've had to file a claim. I'd guess any of the insurance companies & policies offered by Tripinsurancestore.com or insuremytrip.com are legit. There are several positive comments on this thread about STA Travel.

I always go to insuremytrip.com to purchase insurance. I would never buy it from the cruise line itself. I usually get the Travelex Travelite because it will serve as your "primary" carrier. But there may be other on this same site that will do the same.

Whichever plan you pick, don't buy it over a web site before calling the company directly to get clarification on a couple of matters:

You say you have a grandson in Iraq, I'm assuming he's in the military but I could be wrong. I'm also assuming you would cancel the cruise if something serious happened to him. This could be a problem for a number of reasons.

#1 You need to know how he fits into the plan's definition of a "family member." For example, with Travelex the definition is:

"Family Member" means Your:

legal spouse or common-law spouse (where legal), legal guardian, legal ward, son or daughter (adopted, foster, step or in-law),brother or sister (includes step or in-law), parent (includes step or in-law), grandparent (includes in-law), great- grandparent, grandchild, great-grandchild, aunt, uncle, niece, nephew or Key Person, provided the Family Member resides in the United States, Canada or Mexico."

My guess is that if he is in the armed forces and is currently stationed in Iraq he could possibly be considered to be residing there. I have no idea what they will tell you but it's best to ask first than to be surprised later.

#2 In many plans, under their General Exclusions you'll find this exclusion:

"b) resulting from war or an act of war, whether declared or undeclared;"

Again, before buying a policy I'd find out what kind of effect that would have on you if, God forbid, something happens.

My grandson is in the military and leaving for Iraq this Saturday. I am grateful for all the information and am really up in the air about what to do at this point, especially if they would not honor the insurance just in case something happened.....it's a difficult choice to make right now, too. We are finding it hard to even look forward to a trip without him and are just praying all will be well and he will be with us on the next one. I thank everyone who took the time to respond.........Happy sails to all

You don't mention which cruise line you're using but remember that Celebrity, Royal Caribbean and Princess all have their own policies that allow you to cancel for any reason and at least get a pottion of your penalties (75% to 90% depending on the plan) held as a credit toward a future cruise.

So if you don't get the answers you need from the third-party insurers and are using one of these cruise lines you might consider their plan.

Archived