HAL Bait and Switch

SmokinActuary

So sorry this happened. I know I would have been very disappointed.

I looked at cruise cal. Three ships are listed for April 3. Noordam, Sea Princess and Zuiderdam.

Maybe Tortola is limiting it to 2 ships ?

I see April 5 listing 3 ships, Carnival Liberty, Galaxy, and Regent's Seven Seas Mariner.

On April 9 there are 4 ships listed.

I wonder what is going on. It is Hal or Tortola ? :confused:

I wonder what is going on. It is Hal or Tortola ? :confused:

Very good question.

If I find out that more than two ships are in Tortola on other days (taking into account the size of them of course) and will be very curious as to why HAL.

I'm sure HAL does not "bait & switch," but --as we say on the board-- Ship Happens. It's part of cruising. I've missed destinations I really wanted to see because of mechanical problems, rough seas or health problems. You just roll with it and enjoy the cruise, which I'm sure you will.

And if the sea is a bit rough, check out the thread on this board, "Wow! This should answer some questions about rough seas." It's got some video taken from a helicopter. :eek:

I really think there is a distinction between missing ports because of bad weather or civil unrest and "port congestion".

But this itinerary was planned well ahead and the number of ships in port that day was three for months.

I really want to know if port congestion is the real reason.

I booked an itinerary and for that to be changed just days before because of something other than the port was damaged due to storm or civil unrest is not an aspect of cruising that I anticipated and I am hesitant to take that chance again.

I know it is a major disappointment when you book a cruise for a specific port and the port has to be skipped or substituted, but unfortunately, this sort of thing happens all the time and for many reasons. Maybe the ship can't get a berth on that particular day for some reason, or perhaps there is a problem at the particular port which means it can't accommodate all the ships it was supposed to host that particular day. Weather too can be a governing factor, as can particular ship problems ... such as a problem with an engine resulting in a reduced speed and thus inability to make the port by the specific time the berth will be available.

Sadly, ports get swapped out more often than you'd realize, and that's why I say that when you cruise, you have to be flexible. If you really, really just have to visit a specific island, then my only advice to you would be that perhaps a cruise is not your best way of doing that. Perhaps a land vacation to the specific island would be better suited to your vacation objectives.

I love Hawaii, and so far I've been lucky. On every cruise I've taken to those parts, we've made all of the ports. But, I'm realistic too and I realize that one day I'm gonna get the word that we can't stop at one of my favorite ports due to tendering conditions or whatnot. When that happens, I will certainly be disappointed, but probably not surprised. As others on these boards have often said ... "ship happens." :(

Blue skies ...

--rita

If the local Head Of All Things Headworthy gets up in the morning and says, "Dear, I didn't like the coffee you made. I'm going to eliminate a cruise ship," then the game is over. It's as simple as that.

Well, not quite that simple, but Someone In Charge Of Things Chargeable can decide three ships are one too many, especially if there is something going on, such as dock repairs that were unscheduled. They don't like losing cruise ship revenue (both docking fees and store sales) and cruise lines don't like ticking off the pax.

I also checked cruise and indeed there are 3 ships scheduled for Tortola at the same time. We there a couple of years when there were 3 ships there. Costa cruise had to tender. So I don't see that congestion should be a problem.

What time are you scheduled to arrive in San Juan?

We are in San Juan from 10am to midnight.

The thing is that my wife has visited Puerto Rico many times and has seen the Old City and El Junque.

I love history but my wife and daughter want water time. We can beaches with high rises in Florida.

I understand that you are upset, but please do a few things before you fly off the handle.

I worked in Guest Relations on HAL ships for years and I have a few words of advice for you.

First, call HAL and try to find out why the port was changed. Trust me, they do not just change it for fun. There is obviously a reason for it. It causes problems onboard when ports are changed from the usual as well as upsetting pax.

Second, please remember that the crew onboard played no part in this change and have no control over it. If you are going to get any compensation (and you probably won't because they reserve the right to substitute ports) it will come from the HAL office, not the ship.

Third, remember, you are on vacation! Yes, it is disappointing that it was changed, but are you going to let it ruin your vacation? Things happen in life, don't let it ruin what will be a great time.

Sorry Smokin',

I didn't read all the way down and see that congestion was the reason. Trust me, you will be glad they did this. If you have ever been to St. Thomas with 6 other ships in port, you will know what I am talking about. It just gets too crowded to do anything. Tortola's port is much smaller than St. Thomas and it is a nightmare with more than 2 ships in port.

for all your moralist out there, let smokin vent. It seems like everytime there is a disapointment all those stories about just hangin in there come out.

I rather for people to vent here than get on the cruise ticked off and ruin my cruise when they get on.

To tell someone that that is the way of life, or don't let it ruin your vactation is to treat them like a child. Keep your moralism to yourself.

It is not treating him like a child. It is helping him to understand why something may have happened. And I can guarantee you that many people who vent on this board do bring it onboard the ship. Helping people understand why situations happen can help with the atmosphere onboard the ship.

for all your moralist out there, let smokin vent. It seems like everytime there is a disapointment all those stories about just hangin in there come out.

I rather for people to vent here than get on the cruise ticked off and ruin my cruise when they get on.

To tell someone that that is the way of life, or don't let it ruin your vactation is to treat them like a child. Keep your moralism to yourself.

I think SmokinActuary has received many helpful and sympathetic responses, and from his replies, I think he realizes that himself. We do care, and we do want to help, and I think that Smokin will have a good cruise if he just remembers to be a little flexible. It's something we all need to remember, certainly me included. Life, unfortunately, is frequently about "rolling with the punches". I think SunGoddess has put a very helpful perspective on the matter as well. Another good piece of advice was the suggestion to approach the matter calmly, rather than emotionally.

I will certainly take a lot of the advice offered here to heart, myself. Here's wishing you and your family a terrific cruise, Smokin. Would love to hear from you after your return.

Check out the Ports of Call Message Board here on Cruise Critic. There is lots to do in Puerto Rico. You don't have to stay TOO close to the port.

There is a great beach at Isla Verde, a $20.00 cab ride away. (about)

There are some nice hotels on that beach - The Ritz Carlton and the Intercontinental.

You could also go to the Caribe Hilton which is at the end of Old San Juan.

Or, if you are into surfing, check out the availability of it on Condado.

You could go to El Yunque, the rain forest.

If you want to go the other way, you can go to Dorado Beach. The Dorado Beach Hotel is there (I think it is a Hyatt) and there is a sister hotel not far.

There are a couple of terrific golf courses connected with Dorado Beach (at least they used to be).

Or just hire a car to take you out of the city into the countryside. Puerto Rico is a beautiful place.

Just remember to get back in time so you don't miss the ship.

Roberta

So this wasn't even HAL's decision? Then how can you blame HAL? Unfortunate, yes, but stuff happens ... on ANY cruise line. :(

No one knows who's decision this was. "Port Congestion" could come from either Tortola or Hal.

Archived