Boarding Caribbean Princess

pcboston

Hi all,

Once again, I am turning to the experts. We are sailing Caribbean Princess in May for the first time and have only sailed out of Fort Lauderdale once before. That time, we flew in the day of the cruise.....this time, we will come the day before. Could others who have done it tell me what is a good time to head to the dock? I remember horrendous lines the last time, but of course, we were coming from the airport like a lot of other people. We have had great luck cruising out of San Juan by going the day before and pretty much just walking on board but I think the Florida ports are probably a lot more crowded, so any tips to make it easier would be very welcome. Thanks to all and Happy sails..............................

I think we got there at 10:30 to 10:45 this last time. We were able to go into the terminal and wait in the seating area. They give you a color/number to board by in the order you arrived. After awhile they stopped letting people in and they were lined up outside. However, boarding didnt start until noon this time as promised. We were in our room before 12:30.

I think we got there at 10:30 to 10:45 this last time. We were able to go into the terminal and wait in the seating area. They give you a color/number to board by in the order you arrived. After awhile they stopped letting people in and they were lined up outside. However, boarding didnt start until noon this time as promised. We were in our room before 12:30.

We did this also, since check out time at our hotel was early. We arrived at the pier at 10:45 or so and were given a #5 (obviously there were a good number of people already there) and allowed to sit in the waiting area. At noon boarding started, and we were in our room by 12:30pm.

IMHO, if you can arrive at 10:30 or 10:45, as the previous poster stated, then you can relax in air conditioned comfort in the pre-boarding "lounge". You will be able to have a seat and some coffee. (But you have go back outside and kind of around the corner to use the facilities so IMHO it is best to take it easy on the fluids.:) ) If you arrive after about 11:15 you will most likely wait outside in line - and the length and timing on that line is really unpredictable.

As long as the ship is cleared by customs at a reasonable hour, and the computer systems for boarding are working:mad: , and they don't find anyone trying to smuggle in contraband:mad: , things should go smoothly in Ft. Lauderdale. We have encountered delays as a result of the aforementioned three matters, with the contraband issue coming up in Ft. Lauderdale and delaying things - complete standstill - for about 45 minutes. I still don't understand why it stops everything cold, but it did.

IMHO, figuring out the best time to show up at the ship to embark is nearly impossible - it is a matter of luck as there are a number of random variables in play at each port.

So, to me, it is just important not to miss the ship and to keep my sense of humor on the way to the stateroom.:D

Have a great cruise (is there really any other kind?)!!!!!:cool:

Archived