UK/Ireland Cruisers-Questions/Ideas/Suggestions Please

On the 23rd April, while on the Liberty of the Seas UK Pre-Inaugural, I will be meeting up with Executives from RCCI UK/Ireland to discuss the differences between UK/Ireland and US/Canada and to see if they plan any changes to how things are done on this side of the pond.

Below are 4 subjects from my list-

1.Cancellation Policy-As cruisers know in the UK/Ireland, we lose out on our deposit if we have to cancel, even after only 24hours of making a booking, no matter how long it is until our cruise.(I have to admit at this time I am not positive this is correct for Ireland so would therefore be very glad if someone from Ireland could confirm this for me please.)

2.Crown & Anchor-We do not receive our coupons at the same time or as often as those in US/Canada, also I have noticed the coupon values we are given are sometimes considerably lower than those given to US/Canada members.

We are unable to access our C&A account online.Therefore we cannot register our children for the Youth Program or check our C&A status or credits.

3. Military Rate-We do not have.

4. RCCI Visa Card- We do not have.

I am sure there are many other points we can put forward and therefore please post your questions/ideas/suggestions here.

If anyone would like to add their name to a question/idea/suggestion please do NOT post personal details here,instead you can email me at

Elizanessie at aol dot com With Liberty CC in the subject line please.

I am not a TA, I am only a Loyal to Royal cruiser but I do feel it is time Miami considered how we in UK/Ireland feel about the differences.

I sincerely hope that none of our cruiser friends in the US/Canada are offended in any way by this thread. Your support would mean a lot to us actually with this matter.

I am really sorry I cannot put forward any questions etc for other International countries, I have no knowledge at all on how things are done in other European countries etc.

If any of my info here is incorrect please let me know.

I have the following questions.

Why can't I avail of Happy Hour from Ireland, without having to rely on a TA from the USA?

Why can't we have an Irish toll free number for booking these - or allow the UK/Irl website to link to these Happy Hour specials?

Why can't I avail of drops in pricing like my friends in the US can?

Why are prices not displayed in US dollars and then converted based on the exchange rate - the prices do not equate always?

Why can't I log on to Crown & Anchor from Ireland?

Are there plans for more cruises in Europe with more shipps - and not just during the Summer & Autumn months?

Why am I liable to lose my deposit from the exact moment I reserve the cruise - even if the cruise is months away?

"Life is far too important a thing ever to talk seriously about" - Oscar Widle

Thanks Wilde_37 ..excellent questions :D

One of those I can try to answer...price drops...have you got a current brochure ?...if so..please have a look at page 118 Booking Conditions part 1.9 "Will the Price Change"

Dont want to quote it all here but it does say "A refund will be payable if the decrease in our costs exceeds 2%"...now there is a lot more tiny writing there and I am no expert on the legal ins and outs of the clauses...but perhaps you or someone else could maybe help us all out here with explaining just what it all exactly means.

I have heard of cruisers from UK getting a price drop from their UK TAs..so you should be able to get one in Ireland :D

I have to admit I normally use a TA in the US..but I do have my next 2 cruises booked direct with RCCI UK...lets just say I am giving them a try :) and I can say honestly I have been happy in how my booking has been handled...although the Cancellation Policy bugs the heck out of me.

Whilst agreeing with all the above, my biggest gripe is why do we pay more for everything? The cruise is more expensive than US pax, the flights are normally expensive (In Jan I was on the Freedom in a E2 balcony and almost half the RCI cost was to pay to sit in an uncomfortable BA economy seat!) and we generally seem to get taken for a ride. Cruising is the fastest growing UK (and probably European) holiday sector, yet we get very few of the 'advantages' of those across the pond. Even the 'British' lines are now owned by the US companies, so we can't even get them back!!!

Simon

On the 23rd April, while on the Liberty of the Seas UK Pre-Inaugural, I will be meeting up with Executives from RCCI UK/Ireland to discuss the differences between UK/Ireland and US/Canada and to see if they plan any changes to how things are done on this side of the pond.

1.Cancellation Policy-As cruisers know in the UK/Ireland, we lose out on our deposit if we have to cancel, even after only 24hours of making a booking, no matter how long it is until our cruise.(I have to admit at this time I am not positive this is correct for Ireland so would therefore be very glad if someone from Ireland could confirm this for me please.)

2.Crown & Anchor-We do not receive our coupons at the same time or as often as those in US/Canada, also I have noticed the coupon values we are given are sometimes considerably lower than those given to US/Canada members.

We are unable to access our C&A account online.Therefore we cannot register our children for the Youth Program or check our C&A status or credits.

I am sure there are many other points we can put forward and therefore please post your questions/ideas/suggestions here.

If anyone would like to add their name to a question/idea/suggestion please do NOT post personal details here,instead you can email me at

I am not a TA, I am only a Loyal to Royal cruiser but I do feel it is time Miami considered how we in UK/Ireland feel about the differences.

I sincerely hope that none of our cruiser friends in the US/Canada are offended in any way by this thread. Your support would mean a lot to us actually with this matter.

I am really sorry I cannot put forward any questions etc for other International countries, I have no knowledge at all on how things are done in other European countries etc.

You have my support Liz from here in the States. I'd like to see my fellow countrymen/women get the same privileges as I do.

Thanks for doing this! The questions you have posted already are very good and I've often wondered about this too!

Another question I have is why do we have to give up our passports and not see them back for ages? I hate going ashore without my passport in case something would happen. Also, according the laws of my country (Belgian living in the UK) I'm not allowed to give my passport to anyone. I really hate doing this!

Thanks for all the replies and for support :D

I did read that the "Next Cruise" option isnt available for UK/Ireland cruisers...can anyone confirm this please ?

With 6/7 RCCI ships planned for over here this year and next, I would say that they have realised that there is a very big market out there for them on this side of the pond...and I believe that in order to do so they really need to bring us all to a level playing field...so to speak.

I firmly believe that unless RCCI UK/Ireland make some changes then cruisers here will continue to use US TAs for their bookings...although this will keep Miami happy,it doesnt do our economy any good does it !

Oh Sheila....I am wearing full Highland Dress for Black Tie event on the Liberty :D so I will be thinking of you :D

Thanks for all the replies and for support :D

I did read that the "Next Cruise" option isnt available for UK/Ireland cruisers...can anyone confirm this please ?

Next Cruise is for US guests only. Canadian or Puerto Rican citizens are not eligible at the moment. It does not mention Europeans but take it that we are excluded too.

Why can't RCI offer transfers to JFK?

I've read on CC that people in the US can get coaches from as far away as Boston and Philadelphia to Cape Liberty, but when I asked RCI in the UK they said the only transfers they do are to Newark. Surely there is a need for transfers to JFK?

Sylvia :D

It is a new option for booking while onboard, instead of paying $250 per person for future cruise...folks from US can pay a non refundable $100 per person deposit as a Next Cruise option...without having to actually give date/ship/cabin details...and this option is then open to them for 3 years.

They can call their TA anytime in the 3 years and let them know which cruise etc and then they pay the rest of the deposit.

One of the benefits is they get their OBC and have 3 years to pick their Next Cruise....and they dont have to do "ghost Bookings"

I think that is the gist of it...someone correct me if I got it wrong please.:o

Hi Liz,

more power to you.

I´m definitely interested in answers to those questions too.

Especially to your questions 2&4.

I´m also interested why selling those cruises at a higher price than in the US. They adjust their cruise prices on an almost daily basis, so it shouldn´t be that hard to adjust the daily exchange rate too.

I would also like to have toll free numbers over here for booking and C&A. A online booking engine like for US travelers would be nice too, or even better just open up the existing website for bookings from outside the US.

Thanks for all your efforts involved with this and have a great Liberty cruise:D

Hi Liz,

more power to you.

I´m definitely interested in answers to those questions too.

Especially to your questions 2&4.

I´m also interested why selling those cruises at a higher price than in the US. They adjust their cruise prices on an almost daily basis, so it shouldn´t be that hard to adjust the daily exchange rate too.

I would also like to have toll free numbers over here for booking and C&A. A online booking engine like for US travelers would be nice too, or even better just open up the existing website for bookings from outside the US.

Thanks for all your efforts involved with this and have a great Liberty cruise:D

We can book online on http://www.rccl.com in UK pounds

We can book online on www.rccl.com in UK pounds

Well OK I extended Liz´s quote from UK/Ireland cruisers, to European cruisers a bit;) .

In Germany you can´t do this. The website recognizes you are from Germany and it won´t let you book online, you can cheat the system, by changing the country log in but it does not help you with booking, because as soon as you have to enter your address for booking purpose the system recognizes it´s not the same residnecy address like you are locked in and you are out of luck again. Believe me I tried it.

Sylvia

Isnt it funny though...how in actual fact that is the US website as our own UK site doesnt take bookings.:confused: Geez we cant even search for a cruise without being taken to US site.

I use to set the option as if I was from US to check the prices...and work out exchange rate....but I had to stop doing that as it was driving me mad :mad: ...normally at least £200 per person difference ,I found when I checked.

I have to say I am learning a lot from these questions etc today...thanks everyone and keep them coming please.:D

Gunnar...is it the same for other parts of Europe I wonder ?

Now I know you are a busy man...but maybe you could gather some info on this and send it to me ...you know I would be only to pleased to pass it on for you. Especially as the Pre-Inaugurals from Southampton are the only ones for Europe this time...unlike Freedom...I am sure the folks at RCCI UK/Ireland would pass it on to the correct person who deals with the rest of Europe.

Gunnar...is it the same for other parts of Europe I wonder ?

Now I know you are a busy man...but maybe you could gather some info on this and send it to me ...you know I would be only to pleased to pass it on for you. Especially as the Pre-Inaugurals from Southampton are the only ones for Europe this time...unlike Freedom...I am sure the folks at RCCI UK/Ireland would pass it on to the correct person who deals with the rest of Europe.

Thanks a lot Liz,

I tried a few countries on the website and I emailed you with the results.:)

Please could you ask why we get charged so much more here than in the US. For example; there was a question yesterday about the transfer from FLL down to Port of Miami - a US poster replied that the charge with RCL is $19 and the cost to us Brits is £17 which equates to $33. Same seat on the same bus....:rolleyes:

little britain :D

Thanks for your post...wow thats quite a difference isnt it...and really not acceptable ...shaking head here :(

I am amazed by all the differences people have found...I think I might need a drinkie to keep my throat from getting dry when asking all the questions eh ;)

Thanks everyone for all your posts...I have lots of ink for my printer so I can print all the questions etc out...so keep them coming please.:D

Gunnar...email received ...many thanks for all your work on that...stored and ready for printing....(and there was me thinking you had gone for dinner hahaha)

Liz, when you ask about the military rates, if they reply that they can't give them as they can't prove that you were in the military (this reason was given once to someone) tell them that every ex military personnel recieves a book listing his military career so that should be enough proof small enough to carry with them to be shown at check-in I know as my husband has one

jewel

It is a new option for booking while onboard, instead of paying $250 per person for future cruise...folks from US can pay a non refundable $100 per person deposit as a Next Cruise option...without having to actually give date/ship/cabin details...and this option is then open to them for 3 years.

They can call their TA anytime in the 3 years and let them know which cruise etc and then they pay the rest of the deposit.

One of the benefits is they get their OBC and have 3 years to pick their Next Cruise....and they dont have to do "ghost Bookings"

Now I am SO peeved... I am off on Legend in 3 weeks time and have been looking online at my "Next Cruise" and can't make up my mind. Then I heard that you can pay $100 and still get the OBC for up to 3 years.

Now it seems that as an Irish person I am not allowed to do this? I missed my last OBC because I waited for 4 days after I got home to book my Legend cruise. I promised myself that I wouldn't make that mistake again.

I think myself and the Ambassador will be having words on the cruise!!!

"It is a very sad thing that nowadays there is so little useless information" - Oscar Wilde

Archived