Tsunami Warning

Just watching the news this morning and an earthquake had hit Honiara causing large waves there. There is a Tsunami warning for North Queensland, Willis Island especially. Had a look at the cruise cam and noticed the Star was in Port Vila thank goodness and not doing North Queensland. The Sun is on its way to Noumea, hopefully it's a bit south to be of any worry.

Chez

Just watching the news this morning and an earthquake had hit Honiara causing large waves there. There is a Tsunami warning for North Queensland, Willis Island especially. Had a look at the cruise cam and noticed the Star was in Port Vila thank goodness and not doing North Queensland. The Sun is on its way to Noumea, hopefully it's a bit south to be of any worry.

Chez

Hi Chez.....the warning includes New Caledonia, Kiribati, Nauru etc.

there are a lot of low lying islands in the area that could be affected.

We are listening to the radio for further details.

being at the beach, we are not panicking, but are getting a few things together in case we have to move.

kindest regards, Lorraine:) :)

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,10117,21488370-29277,00.html?from=public_rss

Australia on tsunami alert

April 02, 2007 08:18am

A TSUNAMI alert has been issued for parts of the Pacific - including Australia - after a strong earthquake near the Solomon Islands.

The quake, with a preliminary magnitude of 7.8, jolted the South Pacific Ocean at 6.40am (AEST).

The Pacific Tsunami Warning Centre has issued a tsunami warning for Solomon Islands, Papua New Guinea, Vanuatu, Nauru, Chuuk, New Caledonia, Pohnpei, Kosrae, Australia, Indonesia, Tuvalu, Kiribati, and Marshall Island.

The Australian Bureau of Meteorology's National Meteorological and Oceanographic Centre said Queensland's Barrier Reef Islands and Willis Island in the Coral Sea could be affected.

Any tsunami could hit Willis Island at 8.30am and Cooktown in far north Queensland about 9.30am.

People have been warned to move out of the water and away from low lying foreshore areas and then listen for further advice from state emergency service authorities.

But the bureau said the warning was based on the earthquake and it was not known if a tsunami was generated.

Today's quake was centred about 350kms west-north-west of the Solomons capital Honiara at a depth of 10km.

There were no immediate reports of injuries or damage.

Japan's Meteorological Agency said it was looking into the possibility of tidal waves hitting the Japanese archipelago after the quake.

With Reuters and AAP

Just watching Sunrise and few large waves have hit Honiara damaging hundreds of homes and two deaths recorded so far.

Lorraine, I hope all is well for you up there, stay safe,

Chez

xx

Sitting here at work on Sunshine Coast thought it was sooooo tacky to use the cyclone warning siren on the radio when there obviously is none around

then heard Tsunami warning alert ..... sorry for all bad things i said about local radio station lets hope all stays well...... cheers

Hi Chez.....the warning includes New Caledonia, Kiribati, Nauru etc.

there are a lot of low lying islands in the area that could be affected.

We are listening to the radio for further details.

being at the beach, we are not panicking, but are getting a few things together in case we have to move.

lorraine i hope it dies down soon and you dont have to make a move.

stay safe and my thoughts are with all those who may be affected.]

karon

Hi Chez and Karon, thanks for your wishes. everything seems O.K here now.

it just goes to show how vunerable we are.....

I feel for the people it has affected, and will listen for news as to what exactly has happened. ( We visited the Solomon's in 2000 when there was trouble , the people had very little back then, needless to say they will have even less now.)

Lorraine,

The news tonight stated about twenty deaths so far, and quite a lot of damage, so sad.

Glad to hear all is ok up there, we live very near to the beach, so I dont care how early they warn anyone, better to be safe, and it was good to see even Sydney came to a standstill with Bondi beach being evacuated, but I still couldnt believe the tourist's, one American stating "We have come all this way to see Bondi, nothing is going to stop us"!!

We leave for Thailand in three weeks and spending 6 nights of our 3 weeks in Phuket, if I hear that Tsunami alarm, that will be enough to stop me and run for higher ground!!!!

Chez

xx

People here are so used to having lovely beaches and not much to worry about but sharks etc. What happens next time when we get a tsunami warning and people just shrug their shoulders and say 'well, the last one was only 15 cms'. If they get the warning they should take precautions no matter how 'big' the tsunami is, no one knows what might come.

We were snokelling @ Hideaway Island, and they told us to stay out of the water for 20 mins just in case. We didn'tsee anything, but the local staff mentioned that there seemed to be a strange tide change.

I would hope the ship keeps up-to-date with any info on tsunami or anything like that. Wouldn't like to be snorkeling and something happens and you can't escape! To be quite honest I'm a little worried - please reassure me..... :eek:

Liz

I was appalled to read the headlines of the Sunshine Coast Daily said "Just a wave of Hysteria" some people just dont get it do they......these warnings are serious stuff and we dont need the press taking the pxxxxxx out of them, we were lucky this time. . You'll be fine Liz and you'll have a fantastic time.

I was appalled to read the headlines of the Sunshine Coast Daily said "Just a wave of Hysteria" some people just dont get it do they......these warnings are serious stuff and we dont need the press taking the pxxxxxx out of them, we were lucky this time. . You'll be fine Liz and you'll have a fantastic time.

Hi badgerbill. like you, we woke up this morning different people to what we have been. Tsunami is a horrible word that frightens people. but to say ....just a wave of hysteria.....!!!!!! look what happened at the last big one...

we live just a couple of hundred metres from a flat beach....

The government will have to work out a better system of warning people, because if I had not been watching the TV yesterday , we would not be any the wiser as to what was happening. We were lucky this time , but what of the future....

[

The government will have to work out a better system of warning people, because if I had not been watching the TV yesterday , we would not be any the wiser as to what was happening. We were lucky this time , but what of the future....

Funny you say that Lorraine, I had been home in the morning so had been watching the news and Austar weather channel. My husband arrived home at 6pm, I said to him "Well I survived the Tsunami" he said "What Tsunami?" ! He had no idea, luckily he works inland from where we live!

I dont know too much about Tsunami's, but Liz, I think they cause more damage to coastlines than they would at sea, the waves are not usually high, they just come inland at a great speed and force. I think we have watched too many movies like Poisieden:eek:

I'm looking forward to visiting Phi Phi in Thailand and the northern parts of Phuket to see the amazing work they have done since the Tsunami there.

Chez

xx

Archived