Anybody scared of flying?

principessa1180

Years ago when i was a teen, we were flying from San Antonio to Dallas, and the weather was SO bad that one of the stewardesses fell down in the AISLE!!:eek: That did not instill a sense of calm, at least for me anyway!:)

Ha ha, sweaty palms time!:D

When I was stationed in Korea a couple of lifetimes ago I had to fly from Travis AFB to Alaska to Korea. We were on a 747, smoothest ride I had ever had till we flew over a storm in the Pacific Rim. I didn't have a clue that a 747 could bounce like a ball but for 45 minutes (seemed like 45 days) no roller coaster, parachute drop, or anything else could compare. You were either belted to your seat or you were flying in the cabin. The pilots were even white as a ghost when we finally landed. Swore that day that you couldn't melt and pour me on another aircraft. That is till the next week we were off to Japan to play war games. The NCO club got a good work out that morning and I do believe that they did pour me on the plane.

I figure I already survived the worst so flying doesn't bother me anymore. Its the wait that gets me now.......lol

I'm right there with you! Here are some things that help me:

1. Take Dramamine 45 minutes before your flight. It helps you to fall asleep.

2. Purchase a portable DVD player and watch a movie you have been waiting to see...this is the best for me, because it distracts me!

3. Take crosswords or other paper puzzles to do on the flight.

Basically, just have something to keep you busy so you don't think about the flight.

I truly hate to fly, but guess what? It sure is worth it when your destination is for a beautiful cruise!:)

Two Benadryl works well too.

Two Benadryl works well too.

I travel every week on my job so here's some tips besides drugs if your are making your own reservation:

Get non-stop flight if possible. Check your aircraft and make sure you are on a larger plane, like Airbus, instead of the 7 seater turboprop or 24 seater. Nowaday, airlines uses these small planes to reduce fuel cost and expenses. On a fine day, they are fine. However, these small planes do not take turbulence well and cannot fly on a higher altitude to avoid them like bigger planes. Where I live (Ontario Airport) has Santa Ana winds and landing take some nerves with a small aircraft. I was on the 20 seater plane and you almost feel the plane is going to flip anytime. I am really impressed with the pilots and crew members that have to do these landing so many times everyday. They are really brave. Also the airport location, I will avoid Denver and Utah if you have a connecting flight because of the altitude and surrounding mountains that causing a lot of wind drafts. Hope this help.:)

Xanax (alprazolam) works great for flight anxiety. If you are very sensitive to meds that make you drowsy, though, make sure to only take .25 to .5 mg., not a whole 1 mg. pill. Some docs will only prescribe .25 mg pills anyways. If you have a short flight, only take .25 mg as well, or you will be drowsy when it's time to get off. If you are on a long flight like me (from Alaska to Florida), then you can take more.

I was NEVER afraid of flying until A) my boyfriend became a pilot and B) I watched Castaway with Tom Hanks. Don't watch that movie before flying!!!

Count me in as one that is tense when flying. Our last flight home from Florida was bad. I kept watching the flight attendants keeping in mind that if they went about like everything was OK then it was. Soon they put the drink cart away and said they had to suspend service because of all the bouncing around! :eek: I am going to have the doctor give me something to help me out on my next flight.

For the person who has to fly to Paris and is afraid, my daugther sent me the following:

Ok.. I found this somewhat humerous...

Just do the following.

1. Go to google.com.

2. Click on Maps.

3. Click on Get Directions.

4. From: New York, New York.

5. To: Paris, France.

6. Then, read line #23.

7. Laugh

• 2 weeks later...

When I talked to my doctor about my fear he gave me Ativan. The first few times it worked really well but lately I just feel a little loopy and sleepy but still quite anxious. For those of you who have taken both Ativan and Xanax how do they compare? I may have to switch.

We had 14 relatives ont he plane with us , so I just knew we were going to go down, perfect tragic story right? Whole family on plane bound for cruise wedding gets hurt.
Illinoisgal -

I know exactly what you mean. I nearly cancelled my cruise wedding because of this very fear. My entire family will be on a different flight than me (different departure city) and I kept having nightmares that I would show up in San Juan but something would happen to their plane. The thought is terrifying!! :eek:

I hate to admit it, but I get a RX for Xanax, too, before flying!! Fortunately, they don't make me sleeply, just take the "edge"off. :) I hate the take off, and if they have to keep going in circles before landing gets me, too-not to mention turbulance!

I am proud to say that last Sept while flying to our cruise, I put on my "Big Girl" Panties, and didn't take a Xanax-hurrah!! I did however, have them in my purse under my seat, and one hand was lowered towards purse during the entire flight-lol!

NOW we know where Sawyer and Charlie get all those drugs on LOST, don't we?? Everybody on the plane was on Xanax!!:D

Archived