New Cunarder? -- Queen Anne!

whylion

Bob,

The original Mary is now a building, not a ship - so there was no need to append the suffix. I think someone thought that since they had a QE'2' they should have a QM'2' - and got their history of how the QE got her '2' wrong in the process. The original intent was to call the QE2 the 'Queen Elizabeth' - but then HM QEII ad-libbed on the day 'I name this ship Queen Elizabeth the Second' and the rest is history.....of course the real Cunard tradition is not to append suffixes - no Mauretania 2, or Caronia 3.......

Peter

Peter, what can I say, you are just a wealth of information ;)

Depending on who dies when.....

etc....

There's a 'Louise' between Eugenie & Anne (Edward's daughter), then we get:

Autumn (Peter Philips current squeeze)

Zara

Serena (Viscount Linley's wife)

Spouse of Charles - above's son - but he's curently 8 years old....

Margarita - above's daughter

Sarah

Spouses of above's sons

Birgitta

Davina

Rose

and so on......down to Franziska Wassmann (b.1989), daughter of Countess Friederike-Christiane of Castell-Castell at #1263.......

Queen Margarita sounds like quite a good name for a Caribbean booze wagon.......

Peter

..... Its their best chance of getting Brenda to Southampton again. .....!

You'd better disillusion the 40th Anniversary crowd in that case - they're hoping she's joining them for the jaunt around the UK or at least the opening of the Liverpool Cruise Terminal ??? ;)

Ken ;)

I just don't think they will go with another QE so soon - think of all the flack just on this board if they dared pass on 'that' name to a Vista

I think the QV will be a big test - if they can get her to take over the QE2's loyal base, then they are free to call whatever comes next pretty much what they like. However, if they don't, then they may be forced to more obvious tactics in naming - like using the QE name - to see if that shifts people. P&O spent several years studying Canberra's loyal base to see what it would take to keep them in developing the Oriana - I'm not sure whether similar work has been done for the QV - or if (more likely) Carnival thought 'they are mucking up the launch of the QM2, and possibly botching the design of the would-have-been QV' - so shuffled ships and gave Cunard more time to get its act together. And if they don't use the QE name, it would be the first time in over 70 years that they have not had a ship named after a living monach.....the more I think about it, the more I reckon we will not be without a 'Queen Elizabeth' for long......and of course Carnival won't foist another Vista on Cunard - the QV is the last of the line - no more are on order - its the totally different 'Signature Class' next;)

Peter

You'd better disillusion the 40th Anniversary crowd in that case - they're hoping she's joining them for the jaunt around the UK or at least the opening of the Liverpool Cruise Terminal ???

I don't see why HM QEII would not visit a ship with the same name as herself - or go to Southampton for the naming - it would almost appear odd not to....its getting her to name a ship after someone else that might be a stretch, especially when unlike the QM2 it won't be particularly distinctive....so who do you think will pitch up in Southampton for the QV?

Peter

... And if they don't use the QE name, it would be the first time in over 70 years that they have not had a ship named after a living monach...

Wasn't George VI the monarch in 1937?

Paul

I think the QV will be a big test - if they can get her to take over the QE2's loyal base, then they are free to call whatever comes next pretty much what they like. However, if they don't, then they may be forced to more obvious tactics in naming - like using the QE name - to see if that shifts people.

I don't think they are after QE2's loyal base - I think they are after a new younger breed of cruisers to whom the Cunard name and tradition will appeal. Lets face it unless you particularly like OLD passenger liners then QE2 won't necessarily match up with a new cruiser's expectations :eek: !!

P&O spent several years studying Canberra's loyal base to see what it would take to keep them in developing the Oriana - I'm not sure whether similar work has been done for the QV - or if (more likely) Carnival thought 'they are mucking up the launch of the QM2, and possibly botching the design of the would-have-been QV' - so shuffled ships and gave Cunard more time to get its act together.

You know that they probably haven't done ANY pax research!!! My take on the switch of QV's is that after the initial positive reactions to QM2 (and remember QV was ordered before the launch) Cunard/Carnival realised that the first QV wasn't distinctive or grand enough (inside!!!) and didn't have enough QG and PG suites or facilities.

And if they don't use the QE name, it would be the first time in over 70 years that they have not had a ship named after a living monach.....the more I think about it, the more I reckon we will not be without a 'Queen Elizabeth' for long......and of course Carnival won't foist another Vista on Cunard - the QV is the last of the line - no more are on order - its the totally different 'Signature Class' next;)

Peter

Well, wouldn't worry about that tradition - for most of the past 40 years they have been in denial about the origin of the name QE2 anyway??? QV the last of the line??? - don't know why they haven't called HAL's Signature Class the 'Queen Class' ;)

Ken

I don't see why HM QEII would not visit a ship with the same name as herself - or go to Southampton for the naming - it would almost appear odd not to....its getting her to name a ship after someone else that might be a stretch, especially when unlike the QM2 it won't be particularly distinctive....so who do you think will pitch up in Southampton for the QV?

Peter

Not particularly distinctive? The QV is only named after her Great great grandmother - whose 64 year reign will be equalled by her Maj in 9 years time. I still think she might want to do it if asked ;) Failing her, then hopefully it will be someone else of the bloodline - Beatrice might be a hot favourite??? Don't even mention the morganatic wife :eek: the real QV would turn in her grave!!!

Ken

don't know why they haven't called HAL's Signature Class the 'Queen Class'

AFAIK the Holland America 'Signature of Excellence' gimmick, err, enhancement programme started several years ago - hence the likely choice of 'Signature Class' for ships that bear striking similarities to the Spirit/Vista class....but since the main differences are the extra deck of cabins forward, and the funnel area dining room - since ARCADIA was the first with the latter, shouldn't they be the 'ARCADIA' class?

Still no bets on who Cunard will get to name the QV - you really think Brenda will do it?

Peter

I don't think they are after QE2's loyal base - I think they are after a new younger breed of cruisers to whom the Cunard name and tradition will appeal.

Then more fool them - the QE2 had nearly 900 full World Cruisers this year compared to the QM2's 500 (iirc) - your most profitable customers are your loyal ones - if they don't try to hang onto them then they will get what they deserve. Wonder why P&O thought it important to hang onto the Canberra set.......:confused:

Peter

Then more fool them - the QE2 had nearly 900 full World Cruisers this year compared to the QM2's 500 (iirc) - your most profitable customers are your loyal ones - if they don't try to hang onto them then they will get what they deserve. Wonder why P&O thought it important to hang onto the Canberra set.......:confused:

Peter

Yes, but many of the QE2 fan base are old and of a limited time frame (with all respect) .... and you are talking about a different P&O back in the 1990's - look at the target for Ventura and see the change there too!!! Carnival Corp. is looking for new markets and new cruisers to fill their new ships - like it or lump it???

Ken

Carnival Corp. is looking for new markets and new cruisers to fill their new ships - like it or lump it???

Time will tell....Cunard has a new Marketing Director, "Richard Curtis who takes up the responsibilities previously held by Stuart Perl and joins from the position of vice president of global marketing for Small Luxury Hotels of the World.":

http://www.mad.co.uk/Main/News/Sectors/Travel/Articles/3889a46095874dbd98d5fb1c15cffdec/Cunard-Line-names-marketer.html

During my wage slave days I worked at a consumer goods company, where marketers ruled....I'm not sure who would rule at a Cruise Line....Operations? Sales? Finance? I wonder if marketers do much more than prepare the brochures......anyone know?

Peter

Bob,

The original Mary is now a building, not a ship - so there was no need to append the suffix. I think someone thought that since they had a QE'2' they should have a QM'2' - and got their history of how the QE got her '2' wrong in the process. The original intent was to call the QE2 the 'Queen Elizabeth' - but then HM QEII ad-libbed on the day 'I name this ship Queen Elizabeth the Second' and the rest is history.....of course the real Cunard tradition is not to append suffixes - no Mauretania 2, or Caronia 3.......

Peter

I'm sorry I do disagree, The Queen Mary is and always be an Ocean Liner, at least to those of us who love her and her GREAT history. Out of respect to the original Mary Cunard added "2" to the new Mary.

Long Live The Queens :D

Betsy/534

I'm sorry I do disagree, The Queen Mary is and always be an Ocean Liner, at least to those of us who love her and her GREAT history. Out of respect to the original Mary Cunard added "2" to the new Mary. Long Live The Queens :D

Betsy/534

Betsy - I do not disagree in spirit, but fear you are wrong in fact. The building in Long Beach was removed from Lloyd's Registry of Shipping in 1967 - nearly 40 years ago!

Peter

I'm sorry I do disagree, The Queen Mary is and always be an Ocean Liner, at least to those of us who love her and her GREAT history. Out of respect to the original Mary Cunard added "2" to the new Mary.

Long Live The Queens :D

Betsy/534

Legally she is a building.

But who cares about lawyers?

Matthew

Betsy - I do not disagree in spirit, but fear you are wrong in fact. The building in Long Beach was removed from Lloyd's Registry of Shipping in 1967 - nearly 40 years ago!

Peter

Peter,

Yes, you are correct on December 11, 1967 she was removed from The British Registry.

Thank you for agreeing in spirit. :)

Betsy/534

As I understand it Ken, since the original "Mary" is still alive in Long Beach the "2" is necessary to distinguish between the two ships. However, when I think of it, P&O did not do that to "Oriana" - so who knows.

Mmm, I guess Cunard do not have too many "Queen" names left. What's going to happen when they add even more ships to their fleet. Perhaps we have to put up with names of 'Dames' - I can picture it now: "I christen this ship Dame Edna!" EEEK :)

Bob.

Let me bring this over from wher I originally posted in (on the 40th cancelled faux thread)

Does this change anything? Maybe they could name her QM!

And on a related topic,

Did anyone notice this?

I wonder what this means for the Mary?

Quote:

Sunday, February 18, 2007

Heavy debt sinks Queen Mary

This small news item appeared in the Hamilton Spectator:

The operator of the Queen Mary, the historic ocean liner that is now a tourist attraction, has filed for bankruptcy, blaming Long Beach officials for failed negotiations that sought to resolve the city's demands for $3.4 million US in back rent.

The ship, launched in 1934, was brought to a permanent home in Long Beach's harbour 37 years ago. The operation has struggled to turn a profit, and proposals for developments around the ship, including apartments and a Disney amusement park, never took place.

http://allaboutcunard.blogspot.com/2...ueen-mary.html

Let me bring this over from wher I originally posted in (on the 40th cancelled faux thread)

Does this change anything? Maybe they could name her QM!

And on a related topic,

Did anyone notice this?

I wonder what this means for the Mary?

Quote:

Sunday, February 18, 2007

Heavy debt sinks Queen Mary

This small news item appeared in the Hamilton Spectator:

The operator of the Queen Mary, the historic ocean liner that is now a tourist attraction, has filed for bankruptcy, blaming Long Beach officials for failed negotiations that sought to resolve the city's demands for $3.4 million US in back rent.

The ship, launched in 1934, was brought to a permanent home in Long Beach's harbour 37 years ago. The operation has struggled to turn a profit, and proposals for developments around the ship, including apartments and a Disney amusement park, never took place.

http://allaboutcunard.blogspot.com/2...ueen-mary.html

The Docked Queen Mary was a very big disapointment when I visited last January. How they handled the removeal of all furnishings and basically destroyed the public space in the name of tourist shops and then locked up the main dining room and other special spaces so the tourist only gets a smattering of how she was when she sailed almost guaranteed the venture would fail. The only decent restaurant is reached by having to go outside and up several flights of stairs while trying to stay out of the rain and high winds. Another example of failure not to mention the excessive high price for a mid-range quality meal.

I did enjoy the stateroom I had for two nights but beyond that the experience less than memorable

Had they left the ship intact and worked the tourist shops around this magnificent display of grandeuer I do believe that it might have worked.

The Docked Queen Mary was a very big disapointment when I visited last January. How they handled the removeal of all furnishings and basically destroyed the public space in the name of tourist shops and then locked up the main dining room and other special spaces so the tourist only gets a smattering of how she was when she sailed almost guaranteed the venture would fail. The only decent restaurant is reached by having to go outside and up several flights of stairs while trying to stay out of the rain and high winds. Another example of failure not to mention the excessive high price for a mid-range quality meal.

I did enjoy the stateroom I had for two nights but beyond that the experience less than memorable

Had they left the ship intact and worked the tourist shops around this magnificent display of grandeuer I do believe that it might have worked.

The beauty and elegance of the old liners is something that no longer exists, except for Mary. She is in need of much TLC and hopefully with the changes that are being made she will get it. The City owns her but the operation, maintenance and preservation are entrusted to the RMS Queen Mary Foundation, Inc. The Queen's Seaport Development Inc. operated her and held a 72 yr lease but went bankrupt. The City is trying to find a buyer for the lease. The Foundation and the QSDI were both run by Joseph Prevratil, he has recently retired. It's very convoluted. But hopefully the changes will all be to the benefit of the beautiful Mary. The RMS Queen Mary Foundation Inc. has a lot of people like me sending them money every year to help with her up-keep but more needs to be done. To me she is a beautiful, strong & proud English lady. She is the last of the great liners and we are very lucky she is still with us. I mean this by no way to take away from the The QM2 or QE2 Mary just comes from a different era. My hope is that they will find a someone who will treat her as a Queen should be treated.

Sorry, I'm a little passionate when it comes to Mary. :o

Betsy/534

Archived