New Cunarder? -- Queen Anne!

whylion

Forget Queen Anne - what would really be nice is a couple of smaller ships around 30/40,000 tons - the size of Royal and Pacific Princesses (so wasted with Princess) to be named Mauretania and Aquitania. No fuss about them being liners - just luxury cruiseships doing world voyages in the Cunard tradition :D

Ken

Forget Queen Anne - what would really be nice is a couple of smaller ships around 30/40,000 tons - the size of Royal and Pacific Princesses (so wasted with Princess) to be named Mauretania and Aquitania. No fuss about them being liners - just luxury cruiseships doing world voyages in the Cunard tradition :D Ken

Agree absolutely! I think that's a much better idea than another vista-clone. Although the scrapping of Swan Hellenic & sending Minerva to Princess does not bode well.....I wonder if a shareholder will ask at today's Carnival Shareholders Meeting in Southampton:

http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?p=irol-eventDetails&c=140690&eventID=1477328

Peter

Forget Queen Anne - what would really be nice is a couple of smaller ships around 30/40,000 tons - the size of Royal and Pacific Princesses (so wasted with Princess) to be named Mauretania and Aquitania. No fuss about them being liners - just luxury cruiseships doing world voyages in the Cunard tradition :D

Ken

Ken - this is worrying.

You and I agree on something! :eek:

Matthew

Ken - this is worrying.

You and I agree on something! :eek:

Matthew

How so??? You only like the QE2 and I definitely don't think there would be room for 5 ships in an enlarged Cunard fleet :eek:

Ken ;)

How so??? You only like the QE2 and I definitely don't think there would be room for 5 ships in an enlarged Cunard fleet :eek:

Ken ;)

I agree with your point that two small ships would be better for Cunard than one Queen Victoria 2.

I thought agreement was too good to last......

Matthew

I agree with your point that two small ships would be better for Cunard than one Queen Victoria 2.

I thought agreement was too good to last......

Matthew

... well not too far apart - just that I meant two small ships would be a good replacement for QE2 ;)

But that's fine, the world back to normal ... we can all sleep at night now ;)

Ken

Agree absolutely! I think that's a much better idea than another vista-clone. Although the scrapping of Swan Hellenic & sending Minerva to Princess does not bode well.....I wonder if a shareholder will ask at today's Carnival Shareholders Meeting in Southampton:

I listened to the webcast.

Swan Hellenic / Minerva was mentioned in answer to a question. The answer seems to be that SH was not profitable enough and the best way to maximise the profit was to buy Minerva for Carnival, sail her as a Princess ship (who have two "R" ships already) and sell SH (to Lord Sterling as it happens)!

So can somebody remind me - why did Celebrity buy Pullmantur?

Was it beyond the capability of Carnival to gt their hands on another two "R" ships?

Other interesting subjects included tipping and pound v dollar fares!

(no mention of the "J" word)

David

KenC says the two R class ships are wasted with Princess. I don't agree - they are usually sold out.

If memory serves correctly, Cunard did have two small ships, the Cunard Countess and Cunard Adventurer, or somesuch - and couldn't make a go with them, and spun them off rather quickly.

We certainly enjoyed Tahitian Princess. However, if Swan Hellenic had to go (and Minerva II by default) then I could make a strong case for Milnerva II to replace either Caronia for Cunard or Victoria for P&O.

Downside is the top speed of 20Kt. Ex Southampton could do with a bit more.

David

KenC says the two R class ships are wasted with Princess. I don't agree - they are usually sold out.

If memory serves correctly, Cunard did have two small ships, the Cunard Countess and Cunard Adventurer, or somesuch - and couldn't make a go with them, and spun them off rather quickly.

I'm sure the Princess R class ships are regularly sold out - I meant it was a waste for us Cunard fans!!!

Cunard had 2 lovely ships in the 1990's - Sagafjord and Vistafjord - but let them go, probably because of their age. I assume they were profitable, but pre-Carnival anything is possible when I believe even QE2 was a regular loss maker??

Ken

the Cunard Countess and Cunard Adventurer, or somesuch - and couldn't make a go with them, and spun them off rather quickly.

The Cunard Countess was in the fleet for 20 years (76-96) and the Cunard Ambassador left the fleet after an engine room fire.......Cunard had plenty of experience running smaller ships - most of the fleet were 20,000 tonnes, 20 knots - the express liners were in the minority - I rather suspect their business model now is 'Grill Class + Mass' which is why Caronia had to leave the fleet.

Peter

Considering what Celebrity did to the Century. If Cunard put the QE2 into dry dock and spent $100 million on rebuilding the upper decks above the Promenade with balconies like the new ships have she could have another 20 years of life. This is what you should write Cunard about and suggest. The QE2 has a loyal following. Write and you may save her and give her a new life. We would all enjoy that.

Considering what Celebrity did to the Century. If Cunard put the QE2 into dry dock and spent $100 million on rebuilding the upper decks above the Promenade with balconies like the new ships have she could have another 20 years of life. This is what you should write Cunard about and suggest. The QE2 has a loyal following. Write and you may save her and give her a new life. We would all enjoy that.

Nooooooooooooo!

You have an elderly, and much loved aunt. A doctor suggests twin hip-replacements, a heart and lung-transplant, and we'll swap the liver while we''re at it.....

Century was built in 1995....the QE2 in 1967 - 28 years apart - that's longer than most express liners survive. She's had a fabulous innings, but by any measure is now incredibly old - she's sailed further than any ship, ever. She's been an express liner longer than any ship, ever. But when her time comes, I say let her go - she's had her share of face-lifts - and while her engines are only 20 years old - another 10 should not be too much of a struggle - she's got very old bones......enjoy her while she's here - but don't put her on the table - she deserves better!

Peter

Given that the most of the boat deck cannot be redesigned, and given that the funnel complex can't be moved, there is simply no space to do anything else on the Sun and Signal decks. At most you'd fit a couple more Q2s on.

So your idea isn't workable.

But even if it were, I really can't see the point. Peter has already put the argument well. She simply isn't going to last another twenty years. She's living on borrowed time. Glorious time, certainly, and she is still special. But there simply isn't the scope to do more than keep her going as long as possible.

If you really did have the money to completely redo decks, then four and five are the ones to do, to get rid of the bibby corridors. The trouble is that you'd lose a huge amount of capacity, just when you need high loadings to pay for it all.

No, I'm afraid that we must face the fact that she isn't going to last for ever. Neither is she going to be replaced. Cunard cannot afford two liners at once, unless there is a massive uptake in transatlantic volume.

Those who love her will make every effort to sail on her as often as is possible. Those who don't will presumably be happy with one of the other two ships.

When it comes to her last trip, let's hope Cunard have the sense to make it either a world cruise or a transatlantic. Both would be fitting ends.

Matthew

You mentioned that Cunard should have one of the Princess small ships. In the late 90's when Royal and Royal Viking went under Cunard got the Royal Viking Sun which was later given to HAL and the old Golden Odyssey which was given to Seabourn after Carnival acquired Cunard. Princess is now helping Cunard with marketing so it might work now, but did not work then. I now get offer from Cunard with Princess helping that I did not formerly get even being a many time repeater. In the old days if you did not sail with them for two years you were dropped.

...But when her time comes, I say let her go - she's had her share of face-lifts - and while her engines are only 20 years old - another 10 should not be too much of a struggle - she's got very old bones......enjoy her while she's here - but don't put her on the table - she deserves better!

Peter

Granted, the QE2 has "old bones", but they are steel bones and I doubt that they have rusted at all. Why not drop one third of the rabbit warren Three, Four, and Five Deck cabins and rebuild with "in hull" balconies for which Cunard could charge half again as much?

Paul

Granted, the QE2 has "old bones", but they are steel bones and I doubt that they have rusted at all. Why not drop one third of the rabbit warren Three, Four, and Five Deck cabins and rebuild with "in hull" balconies for which Cunard could charge half again as much?

Paul

Balcony in Deck 5? In a storm?

No thanks!

Matthew

Balcony in Deck 5? In a storm?

No thanks!

Matthew

Close the cabin door behind you, carry a towel to shield your camera, and you will have a ball; and, you will have the photos to prove it.

Paul

Close the cabin door behind you, carry a towel to shield your camera, and you will have a ball; and, you will have the photos to prove it.

Paul

I've been in the Queen Elizabeth Suite when the water has come over the bridge and landed in the forward balcony to a depth of a couple of inches from one wave.

I've been in Q2s when I've got wet from spray.

And, for a brief moment, in a Q3 midships (deck 2 if I recall) when the waves have slapped the window dramatically.

The idea of a towel being able to keep the North Atlantic at bay is interesting. But a fear a trifle optimistic!

Remember the deadlights are normally closed on anything other than a smooth crossing!

Matthew

The Cunard Countess was in the fleet for 20 years (76-96) and the Cunard Ambassador left the fleet after an engine room fire.......Cunard had plenty of experience running smaller ships - most of the fleet were 20,000 tonnes, 20 knots - the express liners were in the minority - I rather suspect their business model now is 'Grill Class + Mass' which is why Caronia had to leave the fleet.

Peter

In the mid-nineties, Cunard had 4 800 passenger ships. I sailed them four times on three different ships (Cunard Countess, Crown Jewel, and Dynasty.- There was also the Crown Princess) They also, at the time has the "super yacths" Sea Goiddesss I and II. Then there was the Royal Viking Crown the SagaFjord and the Vistafjord.

These were all sailing concurrently with the freshly redone QEII

I don't remember Cunard going bankrupt at the time! Even the Countress, which was pretty old at the time and needed some serious updating did quite well, I think.

We loved those ships!

I wish they could bring them back. Just the right sizee, IMHO.

Crown Jewel was our favorite, But you'll never forget your first!

Karie,

who had feet that didn't get as sore walking from end to end back then. 8 laps equalled one mile and I walked it every morning!

The idea of a towel being able to keep the North Atlantic at bay is interesting. But a fear a trifle optimistic!

OK, I'm convinced. Dumb idea, in-hulls won't work on the QE2. And large, can't open, windows in lower deck cabins wouldn't work either; ten times as many passengers would be terrified to see the waves crashing by as would be thrilled by that sight.

But how about a lower deck bar with large, thick windows, deep chairs, and prices that fall as the waves rise? It could be called the Sub Pub.

Paul

OK, I'm convinced. Dumb idea, in-hulls won't work on the QE2. And large, can't open, windows in lower deck cabins wouldn't work either; ten times as many passengers would be terrified to see the waves crashing by as would be thrilled by that sight.

But how about a lower deck bar with large, thick windows, deep chairs, and prices that fall as the waves rise? It could be called the Sub Pub.

Paul

Now that one I like!

Free champagne in a Force 10?

Matthew

Archived