New Cunarder? -- Queen Anne!

whylion

OK You folks got to relax about QE2. I have it from the top that they think they can make her SOLAS compliant with no problem. She wiill be around a while longer.

BUT If you can get on QE2, get to it. There's nothing like it.

So maybe the next Queen should be Antoinette or Isabella! Karie, (ducking)

The last Queen of Italy was Marie Jose, and before her Elena, and since France kept tinkering with monarchy I guess the last French Queen would be Eugenie.......(Napoleon III - you know, dynastic presidency......)

This post is not history lesson! flame on...

No, but the thread is discussing possible names for the next Cunard Queen - something, Curly dear, you have yet to do - why don't YOU stick to the topic...setting a good example, and all that......

Meanwhile, back on topic, I don't think we've had Queen Alexandra yet - the only other 20th Century British Queen's name not yet used.....quite stylish too......

Peter

Of Course they are but I don't think we'll open up the Irish question! ...........my apologies.

Why not go back to the ..ia suffix (or..ic for White Star) for cruise ships and keep the Queens for those ships capable of dealing with many crossings on the North Atlantic. However, as will be pointed out, that idea has already failed with QV.

David

In reverse chronological order (Consort/Regnant) since the Union of The Monarchy between England and Scotland in 1603:

Queen Elizabeth II

Queen Elizabeth

Queen Mary

Queen Alexandra

Queen Victoria

Queen Adelaide

Queen Charlotte

Queen Caroline

Queen Sophia

Queen Anne

Queen Mary II

Queen Mary

Queen Catherine

Queen Henrietta

Queen Anne

Queen Victoria will be the first ship named after a queen regnant (according to Cunard, according to HM QEII, the QE2 was.....), so on that basis Queen Anne would be a logical choice....but since they re-write history, what's logic got to do with it......

Peter

Cunard seem to reuse the same names for suites and restaurants on their ships. There are QE, QM, QV and 'Queen Anne' suites on QM2 and QE2 so that might seem a clue as to what a new Queen may be called ???

Ken

Cunard seem to reuse the same names for suites and restaurants on their ships. There are QE, QM, QV and 'Queen Anne' suites on QM2 and QE2 so that might seem a clue as to what a new Queen may be called ???Ken

Wonder why they have not carried that forward to the QV:

Aquitania

Berengaria

Mauretania

Laconia (this one puzzles me - best known for the infamous 'Laconia order' - I wonder if someone went 'Mauretania, Lusitania - oops, better not in case we upset the Germans, then ended with something even more controversial: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laconia_incident......)

Then:

Carparthia

Caronia

But no Queens - maybe they will tack some on later, like on the QE2......

Peter

But no Queens - maybe they will tack some on later, like on the QE2......

Peter

What was Cunard's excuse for tacking on all those tin prefabs on QE2 - an oversight ??? Makes the lack of a few tables in QG on QV look like a storm in a tea cup!!

Ken

Peter

I really think the Laconia is better remembered for being the first Cunarder to do a world cruise !!!

Ken

Since both Laconia's were sunk by the Germans, and the action of the US airforce led to a change in German submarine tactics after the second one was sunk, I think there be more to them than a world cruise! Not many liners made it into the Nuremberg War crimes trials!

Peter

What was Cunard's excuse for tacking on all those tin prefabs on QE2 - an oversight

No, like all liners, the QE2 has evolved - in this case because the deck space they took over being somewhat out of the way was little used.

The QM2 has already had a few nips & tucks - longer bridge wings - and was going to enclose the Boardwalk Cafe for 'Dinner Under the Stars' - but scrapped that idea when they worked out what it would do to her draught.

QV will get her 'enhancements' too - her earlier Vista sisters are already having their rears extended......(or to be precise, adding more cabins at the stern so the rake is nearer vertical)....and I guess they are looking to extend the Queens' Grill......

Peter

No, like all liners, the QE2 has evolved - in this case because the deck space they took over being somewhat out of the way was little used.....

Peter

Two decks of cabins is a little more evolution than other liners - apart from the even more hideous prefabs they tacked onto the cruiseship Norway!!!

Ken

Two decks of cabins is a little more evolution than other liners - apart from the even more hideous prefabs they tacked onto the cruiseship Norway!!! Ken

Nah, QE2's changes are not that out of line when you look at what earlier liners have gone through:

Queen Mary - rebuilt, with extensive cross beams to stop the wobble - hand rails in all the corridors, Observation Lounge given to Third Class:eek:

Normandie - ditto on the rebuild, plus an extra Second Class lounge so she would stay larger than the Queen Mary - this had the effect of putting the Second Class sports deck immediately in front of the two grandest suites on the ship - as Marlene Dietrich discovered to her horror one crossing.

Ile de France - lost a funnel after WWII (by design, not accident).

Why would a line not want to improve a ship? Now of course if they cannot seat all their diners in their top restaurant, then that would need swift remedy.....;)

Peter

Nah, QE2's changes are not that out of line when you look at what earlier liners have gone through:

Queen Mary - rebuilt, with extensive cross beams to stop the wobble - hand rails in all the corridors, Observation Lounge given to Third Class:eek:

Normandie - ditto on the rebuild, plus an extra Second Class lounge so she would stay larger than the Queen Mary - this had the effect of putting the Second Class sports deck immediately in front of the two grandest suites on the ship - as Marlene Dietrich discovered to her horror one crossing.

Ile de France - lost a funnel after WWII (by design, not accident).

Why would a line not want to improve a ship? Now of course if they cannot seat all their diners in their top restaurant, then that would need swift remedy.....;)

Peter

The alterations to Queen Mary were internal and unseen in her outward appearance. The additional lounge area on Normandie is hardly noticeable in the lines of this beautiful ship. Ile de France was REBUILT after the second world war and sailed as an almost new ship.

The extra decks with their balconies spoiled the original simplicity of QE2's lines almost as much as the ugly big funnel stuck on top when she went diesel. Then of course if we are talking internally then they also took away the best lounge on the ship and turned it into a galley. :eek: Not sure if the improvements were for the ship or the bean counters???

Ken

I'm sorry, ut every time i hear the name Laconia, I think if the famous Motorcycle Rally each year in Laconia New Hampshire where a couple of cars usually get brought for the specific purpose of being torched, and well, let's just say the attire might not be appropriate for the grills days, nights, or while cleaning them!

Karie,

who can't help it! Just word assocaition!

Laconia (this one puzzles me - best known for the infamous 'Laconia order' - I wonder if someone went 'Mauretania, Lusitania - oops, better not in case we upset the Germans, then ended with something even more controversial: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laconia_incident......)

Peter

Archived