Bringing Champagne Onboard

retdon

Officially, No, they will take it and give it back to you on the last day of the cruise.

Unofficially if you are discrete about it they will usually allow you to take one or two bottles on board; just don't try to bring a case.

More recently within the last month Carnival has been really strict with alcohol for security reasons (New Policy). If this spreads to the other lines like Cotsa its any one's guess.

You can always get creative and put some sparkling grape juice labels on it if you are worried. :)

carnival's new tightening is probably due to two things 1) spring break in march 2) their change in restrictions to not allow pop on anymore.

most people bring booze in their checked luggage (that they give to porters) and not in their carryon which passes with you thru security. i have only heard one report of one person who got booze thru carryon security. i havent heard any one who tried and had it taken away, thru carry on.

just a question, why carry it on and not check it?

I'm used to less restrictive lines where you're allowed to carry on one bottle of champagne. I certainly could put it in my checked bags (I do live in Florida), but I just wanted one bottle that I could put on ice as soon as I arrived in my cabin instead of waiting for my checked bags. No biggie.:)

all i could find on costa's beverage policy is that no alcohol is to brought onboard. i would assume they don't have a 1 bottle of wine or 1 6-pack of pop policy like carnival has (had).

but we all know you can get it aboard in checked. carry on, well thats another story. want to test it for us ? :D

On the 2/11 cruise on Magica I brought a bottle of champagne in my carry-on along with a 6-pack of soda, one of ice tea, and a bottle of cranberry juice - was never questioned - everything else we checked!:cool: I too wanted to get it cold ASAP for sail away! Will try the same thing in 11 days! I wrap the bottle in bubble wrap then put it in a 1 1/2 gallon ziploc bag, then in a plastic grocery bag for good measure!

On the 2/11 cruise on Magica I brought a bottle of champagne in my carry-on along with a 6-pack of soda, one of ice tea, and a bottle of cranberry juice - was never questioned - everything else we checked!:cool: I too wanted to get it cold ASAP for sail away! Will try the same thing in 11 days! I wrap the bottle in bubble wrap then put it in a 1 1/2 gallon ziploc bag, then in a plastic grocery bag for good measure!

Thanks, msboo!:D

Thanks for the comments. :) We have never been on Costa and were wondering what their policy is on wine in the carry on. Could not find anything on the web site except no alcohol.

We were allowed to bring 2 bottles of wine onboard the Zenith (X policy allows it). Yes we have done the checked bag thing before and since we do not have to fly it was no problem. I understand that some people take advantage of things and probably on spring break the youngsters try anything, we don't cruise then. Thanks again, Linda

I just returned from a costa atlantica cruise April 9 doing the southern caribbean itinerary. We had absolutely no problem bringing wine, beer, pop and liquor in from the ports we visited. They did not take it away from us which was a surprise eventhough everything was clearly visible on the xray machine going through security. We were able to make drinks in our rooms and bring our champagne up on deck in the evening to enjoy under the stars. Only if you bought the alcohol from Cost'a own duty free shop on board would they hold it for you until the end of the cruise. Otherwise they were extremely leniant which was just as well since one rum and coke cost $7 (plus 15% gratuity) euros on board - ouch,! A single can of pop cost $2.50 euro plus 15% gratuity. We did use the X1 package and it was phenominal.It more than paid for itself after about 2 days and we had no problem getting staff to bring us the unlimited wine, beer and pop (by the glass)during lunch and dining hours. ( Eventhough the gratuities were charged to your room at the end of the week we did tip the servers a little extra since they do not get their 15% tip from the X1 package - by doing this we had no problem keeping our glasses refilled) The Costa atlantica had about 99% europeans on board and is the only ship that charges everyhting in Euros so policies among ships may vary. I have heard from other travellors however that Costa was one of the more leniant cruiselines when it comes to alcohol and we certinly found this to be true last week.

Archived