Anyone have any thoughts on wearing Jeans

CruisinShips

Would never wear them ashore, but traveling in airports, airplanes, and onboard the ship, jeans are supreme, they protect, are comfortable and keep me just right with all the air conditioning!!!

What do you need protection from??????????????? :eek: :eek: :eek:

There is also a practicle reason I don't bring my jeans to the Caribbean (On our Alaska cruises I did, just not in the dining room) The humidity! The hot humid weather in the Caribbean seems to get into the jean material and make them very uncomfortable! I wore mine in Cabo on a land vacation and they felt icky!

Sometimes it's just dang freezing on a ship LOL. Doesn't matter where you are or what time of year it is...........

On an plane?

You may not want to think about the answer.

On a plane it is a good idea to wear natural fibers in case of a fire.

Well luckily in over 100 flights, I haven't had to deal with a fire... and I don't hear about that many either... but okay, if the poster is wearing jeans to protect against fire, that answers my question :D

scrapes, cuts, hot liquids, people dragin luggage down the aisle that can't seem to maintain control etc. etc.

ROFLMAO!! Sounds like you have had some adventures!!! Luckily, I've steered clear of any of that... wow, is this really common though??? Just asking... I've never heard anyone say they wore jeans on a cruise or plane for protection.. just curious.

ROFLMAO!! Sounds like you have had some adventures!!! Luckily, I've steered clear of any of that... wow, is this really common though??? Just asking... I've never heard anyone say they wore jeans on a cruise or plane for protection.. just curious.

Protection is just one of many reasons for me, not the main, but I like having some material over my legs, maybe I am a just a clumsy guy, but someone always seems to be dragging somthing across my thigh :eek:

Protection is just one of many reasons for me, not the main, but I like having some material over my legs, maybe I am a just a clumsy guy, but someone always seems to be dragging somthing across my thigh :eek:

LOL, that stinks!!! I'd need protection too! I guess I'm so short, I'm always too low for all the action :p LMAO!!!!

Dear Peter,

Social customs may be arbitrary, and may vary from place to place and time to time, but there are good reasons for them. They promote social cohesion by showing mutual respect in the way it is shown in that particular society at that particular time. For instance, there is nothing wrong with the use of colorful language among one's same gender peers. If you swore in front of your mother and her minister, you would embarrass her and hurt her. Similarly, the line may be shorter during the playing of the national anthem at a ball game, but other patrons may look askance if you choose that time to run up to the concession stand for a hot dog.

So it is with hats, forms of address and forms of discourse. Disregarding the local customs shows either ignorance of them (often an excuse for travelers) or, as seems to be your case, disregard of them in pursuit of other goals. This will be understood as disrespect and discourtesy by those who do follow the local customs, no matter how much you claim no disrespect is intended. Those who perceive your actions as discourteous may, I'm afraid, be tempted to respond with discourtesy. Is it really so difficult to show respect for others in the way they expect it to be shown?

Thanks for completely ignoring what I was asking and giving me a lecture in manners.

I believe I even specifically stated that "That's the way it is" and "Because it is" was not what I was looking for.

I was asking why are these things are still considered ill-mannered.

Cheers,

Peter

Thanks for completely ignoring what I was asking and giving me a lecture in manners.

I believe I even specifically stated that "That's the way it is" and "Because it is" was not what I was looking for.

I was asking why are these things are still considered ill-mannered.

Cheers,

Peter

They are only considered ill-mannered by those that are very narrow minded and judgemental that think there moral center is wha the galaxy rotates around - they would be in shock to travel to asia and other areas of the world where a violation of the hat inside during a meal or other rule is part of the culture... something much worse than the "violation" in the first place:eek:

They are only considered ill-mannered by those that are very narrow minded and judgemental that think there moral center is wha the galaxy rotates around - they would be in shock to travel to asia and other areas of the world where a violation of the hat inside during a meal or other rule is part of the culture... something much worse than the "violation" in the first place:eek:

Well, it would be foolish for them to be shocked, one should research the culture prior to traveling... whenever I travel internationally I try to understand the various cultures I may encounter, as to not offend my "host"... just as I do when cruising. People in the US are so arrogant and assume the rest of the world is just like us, or going to bow down and accept how "we" do things... "it's my vacation, it's my trip, I'll do what I want, I'm an American by gosh"... and then we wonder why most of the world hates us.

Well, it would be foolish for them to be shocked, one should research the culture prior to traveling... whenever I travel internationally I try to understand the various cultures I may encounter, as to not offend my "host"... just as I do when cruising. People in the US are so arrogant and assume the rest of the world is just like us, or going to bow down and accept how "we" do things... "it's my vacation, it's my trip, I'll do what I want, I'm an American by gosh"... and then we wonder why most of the world hates us.

Very well put Lucy. I have jeans on the first day of my cruise and the day im going home.

Lucy, I agree with you on this. But what's even worse is when Americans "think" they know and understand a culture and give bad advice and slam people for not following what they are only assuming is correct. An example of this is the "don't wear jeans in Europe, no one does it, you will look like a TOURIST" threads that I read everywhere before traveling to Europe.

Well, for those of us that have ACTUALLY been there, I'd guess that 50% of Europeans wear jeans, not only that, our TOUR GUIDES were in jeans, as well. Just about every Italian on the ship wore jeans, too. LEVI'S!! People go out, buy new clothes, change their whole wardrobe based on heresay and incorrect information from people who haven't even been there, or if they have been there, they only choose to see what fits into their preconceived ideas.

So, like Lucy said, research your destination, their customs, and don't take for granted that what you read on a message board is correct. :)

Well I guess us city dwellers all wear farmers clothes. Duh:p

LOL i love this comment i have to agree with you i think 90 percent of the city population wears jeans at some point. Heck the othe night we went to the Community Arts Theater (WILLIAMSPOR PA) and saw a vegas show and 90 percent of them had on JEANS and a nice shirt.

Sigh. Unbelievably judgemental. So we're back to the stereotyping of those who wear jeans in the year 2007 as being low class slobs, huh? I take it you haven't read much of the prior content in this thread that you are responding to, huh? Times change, fashion changes. Many people look much more dressed up in their nice designer jeans and long sleeve shirts than others in their Wal Mart Dockers and polo shirts.

i have to agree with you .

So here we are back to the same old argument. There are die hard jeans haters who will swear up and down that jeans are "not appropriate, not within the dress code, not what Carnival requests you to wear".... Just because it specifically does not state NO JEANS, and their PERSONAL opinion is that they are crass. It doesn't have to state "no jeans", it will never state "no jeans" because, they are widely and openly accepted by the cruise line as being within their guidelines. Not sure why people still aren't getting that, and continue to beat the drum "they aren't acceptable, they aren't acceptable, they are not within the guidelines".

Carnival doesn't need to clarify this issue. They already have, by allowing them, over and over, every single night. No one has EVER been told by anyone at Carnival that jeans are not within the guidelines and that they could not enter the dining room, yet the jeans haters still continue to try and convince people that they are not ok, because they personally don't like them.

Everyone's definition of "resort casual" is different, yet Carnival obviously feels that jeans fall within that definition. End of discussion. Trying to convince people that they don't fall within that definition is a moot point, because they can walk into any dining room on any Carnival ship and see jeans all over the place.

Jeans. Are. Slacks. They may not be "nice" slacks according to some people, but they are still slacks. Jeans are accepted, everyone knows it, so then we hear "OK fine, maybe they are OK, but if you do wear them you are CRASS or a FARMER or RUDE." Which tells me that this argument is based on personal opinion, argument for arguments sake, and nothing to do with them thinking that the guidelines are not being followed.

You can say until the crass farmers cows come home that they are not within the guidelines and not what is requested, but it just doesn't hold water anymore.

It's a dancing waiter, singing Maitre'd, CARNIVAL ship. If Fun Ship Freddie and a Pirate costumed crew member can come and pretend to slash my throat at dinner, if waiters wear wigs and silly glasses and to the Ketchup dance while I'm eating my entree, if they want people to stand up and do a Conga line and act plain SILLY, them I'm not too worried about the people next to me at dinner appearing too casual.

AMEN

Archived