wildlife seen during Alaska cruise

qiangf2

Last year during our trip to Alaska, we managed to see humpback whales, black bears, salmon, mountain goats, bald eagles, and deers. For this returning trip, I am hoping to see more varieties of wild animals. Does anyone have suggestion on some other commonly spotted animals in Alaska? If necessary, I may take on an excursion just for the experience. Thanks

from our ship we saw:

a couple of small whale a day north of vancourer island. right under our balcony...maybe pilot whales?

sea otters outside of glacier bay...had to have binoculars, didn't even get a picture of them.

a few spouts in the distance.

a couple of eagles.

the black/white dolphins beside the ship, on the way to victoria.

while watching the humpbacks in juneau, we had a close encounter with a couple of playful sea lions..right off the back of the tour boat.

some of the family saw a small black bear while on the shuttle up to mendenhall. the same family didn't see anything exciting while kayaking/fishing in ketchikan.

Lets see --

In Tracy Arm we saw dolphins, and some sort of seals on the bank, far off.

Bald eagles lots of places -- Ketchikan was a good place to see them soaring. Salmon in the streams in Ketchikan.

On Allen Marine out of Juneau we saw a whole island full of Stellar Sea Lions -- an amazing sight!

Once in Glacier Bay we saw orcas, far off in an inlet. And cruising down toward Vancouver Island is a great place for much studied pods of orcas.

This next trip we hope to see the brown bears at Icy Strait Point and sea otters in Sitka.

A moose is what we have never seen!

Have a GREAT cruise!

I never expected to see dolphs. Thanks a lot for the information, I will be on the deck to look out for it. As for Orcas, BQ suggested that the best place to see if off the Victoria. I am going for a whale watching tour in Juneau. Hopefully, I will be lucky enough to see them. Yes, sailing into Tracy's arm was great opportunity to see a lot of wildlife. I was out on the deck the whole morning with my binoculars. Without it, the black bear sighting would be just a black dot sighting. I think I also saw couple of seals there too..

It takes some effort to see Alaska wildlife without tours. And plenty Alaska Visitors seen none.

If you want ship viewing, essential is a good pair of wide angle binoculars at least 10 power. But higher power is going to be bad for marine wildlife since it has a smaller field of view. I have sometimes taken two pair. :)

It is VERY difficult to see sea otters from a ship, they are a dot at most and are skittish and generally well avoid cruise ships. The above references are for harbor seals, dalls porpoises (black and white, but are not dolphins). Pacific White sided dolphins.

Mt. goats can be along the Lynn Canal, coming and going from Skagway. Glacier Bay is loaded with potential wildlife, again a good pair of binoculars are necessary, keep scanning and scanning.

Just about always, tours yield good views and you spend some time viewing. From a ship, they don't stop, and you take what you can get. Superior is front viewing, it pays to track them from ahead and have the ability to go side to side. I have been greatly rewarded with viewing from a ship, but extremely few passengers invest a lot of time.

Mt. goats can be along the Lynn Canal, coming and going from Skagway. Glacier Bay is loaded with potential wildlife, again a good pair of binoculars are necessary, keep scanning and scanning.

The Alaska mountain goats can be distinguished by its white body and long black horns. They tend to stay high above on the mountain. Using a 10x binoculars, I was able to clearly see those features. It was quite a rewarding experience.

Last year during our trip to Alaska, we managed to see humpback whales, black bears, salmon, mountain goats, bald eagles, and deers. For this returning trip, I am hoping to see more varieties of wild animals. Does anyone have suggestion on some other commonly spotted animals in Alaska? If necessary, I may take on an excursion just for the experience. Thanks

No offense but if you want to see animals you can always go to a zoo or Sea World so don't get stressed about it.

No offense but if you want to see animals you can always go to a zoo or Sea World so don't get stressed about it.

Have been to both San Diego's Wild Animal park and Sea World, I have to say seeing wildlife in their natural hatitat is a totally different experience from viewing them in a caged or man-made environment. It is also one of the biggest reason our family decide to go back to Alaska this year. Of course, there is no need to get stressed over it. But, taking other people's advice will make us better prepared for my upcoming trip.

BTW, I am glad BQ didn't advice me to go back to the Sea World to watch Orca.:D ;)

We had great luck with wildlife sightings last year during our 2 weeks in Alaska in early August last summer. First 7 days we spent in the interior. In Denali, we saw lot's of bears; caribou; dahl sheep, a red fox and even a wolf. The only thing we didn't see was a moose. We did see one on the train, but not a close-up. On our Kenai Fjords Wildlife cruise we saw lots of sea otters (quite close-up) eagles; jelly fish; even a puffin, just not any whales. We also did a wildlife cruise out of Hoonah/Icy Strait Point, and saw so much wildlife, including puffins; whales; sea lions; eagles; and some more that I can't quite remember the names.

Our very best sighting of Orca's came on our last day heading down the Inside Passage. I'll attach a couple pics, and you'll see it is possible to see whales from the ship!

2952693890040884283RDaERe_th.jpg

2071872430040884283GmXINz_th.jpg

Enjoy your cruise!

Now, I just remember that I also saw a great blue heron at Mendelhall glacier. Just 200 ft from the photopoint trail. It was quite a sighting to see a big bird like that.

I have a big Blue Heron that lands in my backyard almost every day to try and have breakfast in my Koi pond. I hate him! Unfortunately my dogs aren't big enough to catch him. The best they can do is scare him away.

I'll spend my time in Alaska looking for moose. Closest we get around here is elk and deer. Oh, and a few mountain lions have been sighted here lately. I haven't seen one yet, but friends have.

I just started researching an Alaska cruise tonight, for 2 years from now. I'm very early in my research, and am looking at Princess and HAL as my options, combining them with land tours for a total experience, but only for a 10-12 day tour due to limited time available away from work. My primary question is -- Is there a specific time that is best to see Alaska for the best chances to see the sealife? I am wanting to go in September just because that's when we really like to travel. Is there any rhyme or reason to when we may have a better chance to see whales or dolphins? September a good choice?

I'm looking at tours that include 7 days cruising with added nights at Denali, McKinley, Anchorage and possibly Fairbanks to make a full 10-12 night vacation. Not sure yet though.

Your feedback is appreciated as I get all of this sorted out!

I just started researching an Alaska cruise tonight, for 2 years from now. I'm very early in my research, and am looking at Princess and HAL as my options, combining them with land tours for a total experience, but only for a 10-12 day tour due to limited time available away from work. My primary question is -- Is there a specific time that is best to see Alaska for the best chances to see the sealife? I am wanting to go in September just because that's when we really like to travel. Is there any rhyme or reason to when we may have a better chance to see whales or dolphins? September a good choice?

I'm looking at tours that include 7 days cruising with added nights at Denali, McKinley, Anchorage and possibly Fairbanks to make a full 10-12 night vacation. Not sure yet though.

I am not sure whether September is the best month to see whales or Dolphin. But my last trip to Alaska was in September, we saw more than 50 humpback whales 2 hours south of Tracy's arm. It was quite an experience. Make sure you invest in a good pair of binoculars. Dress in layers to keep warm. Be patient out on the deck. But the reward is worthy everything I have put in. Happy cruising!

Whales are seen in Sept. dolphins too, but chance sightings since they have a wide range. As only a suggest for further research, the 3- 4 day add on cruise tours are probably not what you think they are. This is frankly, too short of a timeframe for those locations and most of the time is in transit. It takes 6 hours via bus to get Anchorage/Denali Park, If you only have the Natural History tour included, it is a waste of time. This only gets you 16 miles in of the 90, and significantly lacking in scenery and wildlife potential. My min. distance recommended is Fish Creek by shuttle bus. NONE of the tours go this far. At the very least if you still have to go with a cruisetour, be certain you have the Tundra Wilderness tour included. Another top wildlife area is Kenai Fjords via boat tour out of Seward, which is my other top pick.

Another point usually not realized, the McKinley Princess is out in the middle of nowhere and you have NO access to Denali National Park 100 miles away. Nearest town is Talkeetna 50 miles away. So keep that in mine for your touring.

I will be bummed if we don't see anything. I am not too worried about seeing whales and dolphins, I get to see those here where I live.

But I hope we get to see some sea otters, bears or a MOOSE :)

The only real excursion we are thinking about is the White Pass railroad.

I

But I hope we get to see some sea otters, bears or a MOOSE :)

Would absolutely love to see the bears and moose as well! You don't see sea otters in California? I would think you would, but what do I know. We have sea otters here (Seattle) and see them every so often. Love them! Reminds me of just wet doggies swimming and popping up to say hello now and then. :) I suppose if I tried really hard I could search out some whales here in Puget Sound as well, but I've only seen them in other parts of the country/world. Wild animals/mammals are just amazing in their natural surroundings, eh?

What do people recommend for bear viewing from the Kenai Peninsula? I've seen Talon Air on line which goes to a spot to see Bears feeding on salmon and only (!) costs $300. pp as opposed to the $500 pp advertised as shore excursions. However, I read a post from Alaska Ellen that there are a number of good spots around on the Kenai where you can see them for free! It's obviously far from guararanteed, but it might be fun to try to poke around and find them instead of the easy and expensive way. Ideas, anyone?

We had a great time on our Alaska cruisetour in Sep 2004. We added a couple extra days in front of it and spent one of those days on a "tour" from Fairbanks to Barrow (I believe it's the northernmost town in United States.) We did a combined tour up there with half of it being around the "town" and the the other half climbing in a 4-wheel drive vehicle and going out to the point.

From the point, through the guide's high power telescope, we could watch two male polar bears playing on an island about 2 miles out. :p He said he'd spotted them earlier that day sleeping on the shore probably after a long swim from somewhere else. Later, on the trip back into town, we saw a polar bear swimming in a large pond about 1/2 mile away. That was definitely the highlight of our Alaskan trip! Unfortunately, the pictures we took of the polar bear swimming only show a black spot on white (that's his nose). :(

Other notable wildlife on the trip included: a (captive) musk ox in Fairbanks; a mama moose and a baby moose outside of Fairbanks (on our other day there) -- just by the side of the road! ; brother moose playfully antler fighting from the bus coming out of Denali National Park (also quite close); a Grizzly mama with twin cubs (from a very far distance) in Denali; whales -- humpback in Juneau and orca type from the ship; eagles in Scagway; sea lions on the coasts while traversing between glaciers.

• 2 weeks later...
We had a great time on our Alaska cruisetour in Sep 2004. We added a couple extra days in front of it and spent one of those days on a "tour" from Fairbanks to Barrow (I believe it's the northernmost town in United States.) We did a combined tour up there with half of it being around the "town" and the the other half climbing in a 4-wheel drive vehicle and going out to the point.

From the point, through the guide's high power telescope, we could watch two male polar bears playing on an island about 2 miles out. :p He said he'd spotted them earlier that day sleeping on the shore probably after a long swim from somewhere else. Later, on the trip back into town, we saw a polar bear swimming in a large pond about 1/2 mile away. That was definitely the highlight of our Alaskan trip! Unfortunately, the pictures we took of the polar bear swimming only show a black spot on white (that's his nose). :(

Other notable wildlife on the trip included: a (captive) musk ox in Fairbanks; a mama moose and a baby moose outside of Fairbanks (on our other day there) -- just by the side of the road! ; brother moose playfully antler fighting from the bus coming out of Denali National Park (also quite close); a Grizzly mama with twin cubs (from a very far distance) in Denali; whales -- humpback in Juneau and orca type from the ship; eagles in Scagway; sea lions on the coasts while traversing between glaciers.

What you experienced was so great. I wish our trip will be as half good as yours. Well, we bought our binoculars. DH will get a telephoto lens for his SLR. So we are ready! :)

Archived